What's new

Walmart ammo run?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It has gotten to the point where most of what we buy at Walmart are grocery items that happen to be cheaper than other stores. Most of the rest they no longer carry. It's not a matter of ticked off; it's a matter of they just don't have much of what we want to buy anymore.

Such as hats. You once could get a good outside hat at Walmart. Not around here anymore. Not even the cheap straw "beach" hats. I can find them from local hardware stores, but in years past I would buy them at Walmart to save making another trip.

I doubt I'll do much Christmas shopping there this year. Again, it's not a matter of ticked off. Last year I just wasn't that impressed by what they had to offer.

I do believe when brick & mortar ammo stores start competing for Walmart's ammo sales, their prices may come down a few dollars as well.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I do believe when brick & mortar ammo stores start competing for Walmart's ammo sales, their prices may come down a few dollars as well.

I hope so. There is a LGS about 10 minutes from here, but I haven't priced ammo yet. Their firearms prices are in line though. For a $39.13 order of 50 .45 Colt rounds I had to pay $9.99 shipping for a total of $49.12. That's almost a dollar a round for 250 gr. RNFP.

I need to pick up 100 .452 inch bullets...I have plenty of brass and the dies. And maybe get a new pound of powder. I've heard good things about Trail Boss powder but never used it.

feels like it's a $300 donation to Everytown.

I did not know that until I looked it up. I knew Kroger has implemented a similar policy, and that Levi's was also supportive, but I haven't bought Levi's in years. I found a list of some companies that have jumped on the bandwagon.

https://everytown.org/businessleaders/businesses-taking-a-stand/

Haven't bought Levis in decades for the simple reason that Rustler jeans were cheaper and wore just as well. Then OSHA requirements changed and jeans were no longer sufficient protection from the arcs we could be exposed to, and that ended that.

Kroger...not a local story. A far cry from the old days of Winn Dixie when you could buy cases of shotgun shells for the opening of dove season.

Kroger jumping in is laughable. Won't sell guns to anyone under 21. Do they sell guns or ammo at all? If they do I've never seen it.

I can understand places not liking open carry. It makes people that don't know any better nervous. I understand the argument of the open carriers, "if you don't use the right you'll lose it" but the reality is that it hasn't been acceptable in polite, non rural society for a long time. Double that for long guns. Personally I think those pushing this societal barrier have done more harm than good in many places.

My brother tells me that Brookshire Brothers grocery stores (Texas) sell ammo. I'd never noticed it when I lived there but that doesn't mean much.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Straight from Wal-Mart's website. Thought I'd posted this before.
proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Kroger jumping in is laughable. Won't sell guns to anyone under 21. Do they sell guns or ammo at all? If they do I've never seen it.

I can understand places not liking open carry. It makes people that don't know any better nervous. I understand the argument of the open carriers, "if you don't use the right you'll lose it" but the reality is that it hasn't been acceptable in polite, non rural society for a long time. Double that for long guns. Personally I think those pushing this societal barrier have done more harm than good in many places.

My brother tells me that Brookshire Brothers grocery stores (Texas) sell ammo. I'd never noticed it when I lived there but that doesn't mean much.

I really don't have that much of a problem with the request (they seem to asking, not telling) not to open carry that Kroger has also implemented, it's the no sale of handgun ammo and the affiliation with a certain group that Wallyworld is taking. Seems like they are cooperating with the "little steps at a time" tactic.

I have NEVER seen firearms or ammo offered at the Kroger here.

There is a Brookshire's here, and I also have never seen ammo there. There is also a Mom and Pop grocery store in a little town about 10 minutes past the Wallyworld, and they also have a fresh meat market. The Mom and Pop grocery stores in town seemed to all close down after the national chains moved in.

Last edited:
Yes, the collusion with the organization is what pissed me off the most. Charter Member! I think the others just want to do enough to be left alone, not realizing that too much is never enough to appease.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I hope so. There is a LGS about 10 minutes from here, but I haven't priced ammo yet. Their firearms prices are in line though. For a $39.13 order of 50 .45 Colt rounds I had to pay $9.99 shipping for a total of $49.12. That's almost a dollar a round for 250 gr. RNFP.

I need to pick up 100 .452 inch bullets...I have plenty of brass and the dies. And maybe get a new pound of powder. I've heard good things about Trail Boss powder but never used it.

I did not know that until I looked it up. I knew Kroger has implemented a similar policy, and that Levi's was also supportive, but I haven't bought Levi's in years. I found a list of some companies that have jumped on the bandwagon.

https://everytown.org/businessleaders/businesses-taking-a-stand/

Yes, yes and yes! It's the easiest powder ever, and MADE for .45 Colt.

I even use it in milsurp rifle calibers.

And you'll get the cost per round down to what, .14? I cast my .452s. Keith-style SWC, of course.

AA

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
However, I welcome any ideas of where to shop, cuz I’m running out of places to shop. :)
Not sure how smoking of a deal they are but it is but ammunitionstore.com has some ok deals (and don't charge sales tax) and Federal is offering a $0.03/round rebate on the American Eagle/AR223/AR5.56 stuff so 500 rounds is about $0.29 a round... Outdoor Limited has some ok deals too!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not sure how smoking of a deal they are but it is but ammunitionstore.com has some ok deals (and don't charge sales tax) and Federal is offering a $0.03/round rebate on the American Eagle/AR223/AR5.56 stuff so 500 rounds is about $0.29 a round...

Thanks! I'll check that out... :)

There is a Brookshire's here, and I also have never seen ammo there. There is also a Mom and Pop grocery store in a little town about 10 minutes past the Wallyworld, and they also have a fresh meat market. The Mom and Pop grocery stores in town seemed to all close down after the national chains moved in.

I don't know about Brookshire's but some of the Brookshire Brother's stores carry ammo. I work part time in some of them in the pharmacy and have looked at the ammo, selection is not great and prices are extremely high, like 9.99 per box of 22LR Geco that you could buy for half that on line. Brookshire Brothers is a separate chain, most of their stores south of a line following US 79 across E Texas, and some in S E Louisiana.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't know about Brookshire's but some of the Brookshire Brother's stores carry ammo. I work part time in some of them in the pharmacy and have looked at the ammo, selection is not great and prices are extremely high, like 9.99 per box of 22LR Geco that you could buy for half that on line. Brookshire Brothers is a separate chain, most of their stores south of a line following US 79 across E Texas, and some in S E Louisiana.

Yup, we just have the Brooksire Grocery here...never seen a Brooksire Brothers store. Looked up the company and I see they are different.

The corner country grocery stores used to carry a few boxes of .22, .270, '06 and stuff but it was high...and the boxes were always dusty. I haven't seen any ammo at the small rural stores in quite awhile.

I was looking all that up a couple years ago, Brookshire's and Brookshire Brothers' are from the same family business, various splits and things.

Top Bottom