What's new

Walmart ammo run?

Part of me feels like that's a good FU and part of me feels like it's a $300 donation to Everytown. It's really aggravating that retail businesses feel a need to push their higher ups agenda, particularly one with the long and checkered history of post-Walton Wal-Mart.

I used to somewhat defend their sometimes questionable treatment of employees etc but this time I can't help feeling amazed that they've split this hard from what I view as the bulk of their customer base. I hope this costs them huge. Bigly even.

I checked their ammo cabinet once last week. Nothing at all was on sale. I've since decided they can stuff their ammo somewhere dark and uncomfortable, right beside Butch's gold watch. I don't hold getting a good deal against you though. I'm just thoroughly disgusted with them.

I was their biggest cheerleader during the Obama era ammo shortage - get there at 6am, they usually get "something" in every night on the truck, you just had to get there early. Told DOZENS of people exactly how to score ammo when there was NOTHING to be had. Rather than hoard the knowledge I'd rather make sure it's all spread around. Now? Not so much.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
In my state, Walmart is usually a couple of dollars cheaper then Academy Sports and Academy Sports is usually a couple of dollars cheaper than Bass Pro and Cabela’s.

I am a frequent shooter. While I do shoot quite a bit on the taxpayers dime for work, I try to shoot just as much on my own time and my own dime.

I work hard for the little money I do have and ammo isn’t cheap. I will take advantage of Walmart’s political decision and buy as much as I can afford before they quit selling handgun ammo.

When it is finally gone, I will never darken the door of their establishment to shop for anything ever again. I haven’t shopped at a Target or Dick’s Sporting Goods In several years either.

However, I welcome any ideas of where to shop, cuz I’m running out of places to shop. :)

Increasingly, I'm shopping online for the simple reason that Walmart no longer carries what they once did. Unless it's Sportsmans' Guide or Cheaper than Dirt, such a source for ammo doesn't come to mind. For a long time now, going to Walmart has been like going to the dentist: no one really wants to anymore.

I think Walmart is making a number of bad business decisions. For one, I think they want to become like Sears was, with online purchases delivered to the store for pick-up. But if I have to buy their goods online because they no longer stock then, why would I then order it from Walmart? The whole point of stores like Walmart is that they had what you were looking for at a reasonable price without you having to order it and play shipping and handling. That's what ate Sear's lunch when they tried to go more upscale.

Ah, well. I remember when Freds carried firearms and ammo, and now Freds is liquidating their remaining stores. Grants, Gibson, and Woolworth used to be big names and now are no more. There's no such thing as too big to fail.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just remember there are lots of great online sellers of ammo … This is a bad bellwether, however.

Our local wally never sold "real" firearms, only inline muzzies. And all the accessories would be 50% in a few weeks after season.

AA

SG Ammo and Lucky Gunner are two of the big online vendors. Palmetto runs good sales too.

My local WM carried EVERYTHING, even 50 BMG briefly. I've bought several cans of Lake City 5.56 there, their price wasn't bad. I've heard others say their store was already running sales. Mine hasn't, I assume because they know it'll all sell at regular price eventually.

OkieStubble

What kind of shipping do you guys pay when shopping online? I like to buy in bulk and ammo is heavy.

There’s a new ammo manufacturer in Houston that had good rates when they opened, I’ll have to find the name again.

We are fortunate in my area. We have a retail store, Shopper Supply, that carries a full line of ammo at reasonable prices. Plus, the personnel in the gun department are all very knowledgeable.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Most of my online ammo purchases are from MidwayUSA. Shipping is steep, but it arrives in just a couple of days. I'm sure not the cheapest, but they often have what others do not. They do have frequent sales and occasional free shipping.

About the only thing I would go to Walmart for in the first place is ammo. I'll go and see if I can get some, but once it's gone, I will simply have no reason to go there.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I rarely go to the "big" Walmart, usually for motor oil and the like.Was never very impressed with their ammo selection/prices/difficulty finding a clerk, etc. We use the "Neighborhood" Walmart which is essentially just a grocery store frequently.

I

Ah, well. I remember when Freds carried firearms and ammo, and now Freds is liquidating their remaining stores. Grants, Gibson, and Woolworth used to be big names and now are no more. There's no such thing as too big to fail.

A few years ago, I had a Gander Mountain store a couple of miles from my house. When it first opened, I purchase a couple of guns there along with most of my ammo for shooting at my local indoor gun range. Later they got a new store manager. She was the only one authorized to do the paperwork for gun sales and my impression was that she hated that part of her job. One day I wanted to purchase a shotgun. I visited the store and they had one in stock. I handled the gun and liked the look and feel but I wanted to check the trigger pull. The gun had a trigger lock, so I asked that the lock be removed so I could check the trigger. The clerk behind the counter indicated that he could only do that with authorization from the store manager. She said it was corporate policy not to remove the trigger locks. Gander Mountain also had a policy that firearms could not be returned, so I was not about to purchase a shotgun without knowing if the firing mechanism was working properly. Thus, I walked out of the store and drove 25 miles to a local gun shop who had guns on racks where I could test the firing mechanisms (after checking to see that they were unloaded). I purchased one that day, but had to drive back to the store 24 hours later to pick it up. A few months later Gander Mountains stores went bankrupt. My local store was closed and remains empty to this day. The local gun shop is still flourishing. Customers have choices, so store policies have consequences.

OkieStubble

About the only thing I would go to Walmart for in the first place is ammo. I'll go and see if I can get some, but once it's gone, I will simply have no reason to go there.

+1. Now you know, they do have the free food sample stations on Thursday's? Wait, that's Sam's Club; my bad. You're right, no reason to go there. :)

+1. Now you know, they do have the free food sample stations on Thursday's? Wait, that's Sam's Club; my bad. You're right, no reason to go there. :)

It has gotten to the point where most of what we buy at Walmart are grocery items that happen to be cheaper than other stores. Most of the rest they no longer carry. It's not a matter of ticked off; it's a matter of they just don't have much of what we want to buy anymore.

Such as hats. You once could get a good outside hat at Walmart. Not around here anymore. Not even the cheap straw "beach" hats. I can find them from local hardware stores, but in years past I would buy them at Walmart to save making another trip.

I doubt I'll do much Christmas shopping there this year. Again, it's not a matter of ticked off. Last year I just wasn't that impressed by what they had to offer.

Top Bottom