What's new

Walmart ammo run?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ahem, with the "no politics" thing in mind, wondered if anyone else noticed a run in pistol ammo at Wally world.

Mine, not so much, though people are buying. I did, myself.

"Plenty for now in the supply chain," clerk told me.

Both clerks and customers were offended and contemptuous of the new policy, but this is the South.

Why I live here. :a11: :a14: :a39:

AA

One of our local Wal-Mart stores has plenty left as of yesterday. In fact, their business in the sporting goods department is off, according to the department manager. He told me that he has put an application in at the Bass Pro Shops store.

I like to shop the local businesses. Prices are competitive and the quality is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don't think I'll be darkening their doors again if I can avoid it.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Someone once recommended budgeting for ammo weekly. Even if it’s just 1 pack. I don’t do that but it’s not a bad idea.

Haven't checked. I wonder if they will stop carrying 22lr since it is a popular pistol cartridge too. Some (or all) of the Walmarts are pulling their pocket knives too. My WM emptied their case recently.
I'm getting tired of WM anyway. Getting help and finding an actual cashier to check you out shouldn't be so difficult.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
No shortage here and with deer season baring down it seems like a dumb time to do this. Having said that I grabbed 4 boxes of Remington STS light target and said farewell! To many other places that will gladly take my money and not make me check myself out or police my own cart!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Haven't checked. I wonder if they will stop carrying 22lr since it is a popular pistol cartridge too. Some (or all) of the Walmarts are pulling their pocket knives too. My WM emptied their case recently.
I'm getting tired of WM anyway. Getting help and finding an actual cashier to check you out shouldn't be so difficult.

I had that thought also. Since their press release said no more pistol ammo I was wondering about the 9mm and .45 ACP for the carbines chambered for that. We'll see I guess.

I haven't bought ammo there in a long time. The only thing they had that I might use for practice was .38 Spl. round nose or .45 ACP hardball. I usually order online...better selection and it's delivered to my door.

An employee in the sporting good section? That's about like trying to find an employee at Home Depot to answer any questions you have about something you are looking to purchase. I like shopping the local small stores.

I hadn't heard about the pocket knives.

Ahem, with the "no politics" thing in mind, wondered if anyone else noticed a run in pistol ammo at Wally world.

Mine, not so much, though people are buying. I did, myself.

"Plenty for now in the supply chain," clerk told me.

Both clerks and customers were offended and contemptuous of the new policy, but this is the South.

Why I live here. :a11: :a14: :a39:

AA

No, but neither have I seen anyone shopping at the outdoor counter, either. Usually there's someone there, if only for the knives. Boycott? Haven't heard of one. Coincidence? Possibly. There's also a possibility that people are thinking Walmart pulled all of it out, and went elsewhere.

Lots of ammo but no clerk here.

The Walmart clerk is a rare, shy, being, but unlike mermaids, is known to exist. They are somewhere above the Ivory Billed Woodpecker in number, possibly less than the Bald Eagle. They are rarely seen in their natural habitat, various departments in the store. The firearms and jewelry counter clerks are perhaps the rarest of all. In some stores, a few might not be found at all due to lack of habitat, such as a jewelry counter or automotive center.

From the Wal-Mart policy page. Since they've joined up with Everytown I'll do my best to not give them a dime.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm a little suspect about the no pocket knives. Maybe in NYC or Calif., but that's a stretch to quit selling them.

There are several old fashioned hardware stores in town that carry a nice selection of pocket and other knives, although their ammo selection is a bit lacking.

@RandyC...I like the second bullet point in your post of the only employee that can sell have passed CRIMINAL background checks. Does that mean that not ALL of their employees have passed a background check?

I guess you never know what employee is walking around in the parking lot....

Last edited:
I'm a little suspect about the no pocket knives. Maybe in NYC or Calif., but that's a stretch to quit selling them.

There are several old fashioned hardware stores in town that carry a nice selection of pocket and other knives, although their ammo selection is a bit lacking.

@RandyC...I like the second bullet point in your post of the only employee that can sell have passed CRIMINAL background checks. Does that mean that not ALL of their employees have passed a background check?

I guess you never know what employee is walking around in the parking lot....

I have come across a Walmart that did away with its jewelry case. Another one years ago did away with its firearms, but brought them back. It all varies due to store and regional management.

Walmart employees who handle the firearms sales have to have a Federal Firearms License just like the guy down at the gun shop. That's what they mean by the background check. To what extent Walmart itself does background checks on employees, I don't know, but it's likely about as extensive as any other retail employer.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
They discount the prices any? That’d be the only reason to buy there I can think of.

No. I was reading this thread earlier; and it inspired me to run out to Walmart. I just got back from purchasing 200 rounds of .357 semi-jacketed soft nose HP's in 125 gr. Another 200 of the same in .38 +P. And another 100 .57 HP's in 110 gr. 500 9mm FMJ, and 100 rounds a piece of .38+P, 9mm, .380 Federal HST HP's. $580 and some change.

Might go back tomorrow and shop for .556 /.223

Top Bottom