What's new

Wallets anyone?

I have a Nomatic that was mentioned earlier but my daily driver is a Port Wallet from a small shop in Idaho called Craft and Lore. Chad and his team are real leather artisans with many different styles and leather types. They make this one from a single piece of leather pressed and folded over itself. It is a great front pocket wallet, holds about 8 cards and 6 or so bills once broken in. It was a bleach blond saddle leather when I started carrying about a year ago and has developed a fantastic patina.
full
full
full

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Questions for the Rogue specific users: what models are you using??

Is anyone using the International model?
It's slightly deeper for different currencies, but primarily interested in the 8 card slot design over the typical 6. This is

Primary complaint I have seen is that they feel "thin"... thoughts?
Thick does not always equate durability, just as thin does not equate flimsy. Thoughts on this? Who has the oldest in our community and how is it holding up?

Is anyone using the Expedition model?
The reverse opening seems like it would be a better fit with the direction of the pocket opening.

All things considered, I think i would like a International/8 Slot/Expedition, model, unfortunately this doesn't fit any of their product descriptions. Wishful thinking doesn't get very far, so I am trying to weight some pros and cons among the combinations and figure out where the compromise is.

My Rogue is Salmon skin, so it looked rather rustic from the get-go. It feels thin because it is thin, both in material and in me pocket. Having a wallet made of multiple layers of Horween Cordovan results in a brick, which isn't my preference. This Rogue is older, I can't remember exactly how old, but it was a gift to me from someone who passed away in 2002 .. no anti RFID, no thumbhole in the ID window ..

It has been my only wallet, is carried mostly in a rear pocket but front sometimes. Holds 6 cards and 10 bills in about 3/8 of an inch.

It has worn well, still looks rustic, and I like it. I have its replacement in plastic in a drawer, not sure I'll live to need it ..

IMG_9246.JPG

I went ahead and bought one thanks to a generous spring sale (25%) on anything "Made in Maine". It arrived just in time, as the card wallet I was using (felt and leather) had stretched past usefulness. I never expected a felt sided wallet to last that long but I think I got 5 years out of a free card wallet so no complaints. Also I was carrying my bills in my Midori Traveler's notebook, so this is a bit more practical for keeping funds and IDs together.

Turns out the Nantucket line is the same opening as the Expedition (reverse side opening). I am not sure what separates the Expedition from the Nantucket, except maybe the Made in Maine moniker? The retail price puts a Nantucket at a slightly higher price point, but on sale it was actually cheaper.

I went with the Nantucket, basic leather in brown, with 6 card slots. Extra cards will fit in the card slots, or in the stash pockets so the extra two card slots in the International 8 aren't as necessary. I mostly want to try to keep it to one card per slot for the sake of keeping it slim.

Initial impressions: I am not sure where the complaint's come from on the leather thickness. It feels appropriately thick. It is a bit stiff, which I think is probably due to the RFID blocking lining. Hopefully with some breaking in and use it will feel a bit more supple and sit a bit flatter. I think I made a good decision going with the reverse opening. Time will tell.

I will still consider buying an International, as an "upgrade", or for special purpose on travels, though I am not sure I will need it. Also may consider buying the moose or bison leather options that are available in the future as an "upgrade", though I am not sure they would specifically offer any advantage over the cow leather short cosmetics?

I went with the Nantucket, basic leather in brown, with 6 card slots. Extra cards will fit in the card slots, or in the stash pockets so the extra two card slots in the International 8 aren't as necessary. I mostly want to try to keep it to one card per slot for the sake of keeping it slim.
I will still consider buying an International, as an "upgrade", or for special purpose on travels, though I am not sure I will need it. Also may consider buying the moose or bison leather options that are available in the future as an "upgrade", though I am not sure they would specifically offer any advantage over the cow leather short cosmetics?
That Rogue Nantucket looks like a good choice. Hope it proves to be a functional wallet.

For an international wallet you could consider going for a more traditional rectangular billfold. I say that partly out of a concern that has prevented me from buying a Rouge even though I like the design. The concern being that it might be too pocket shape fitting and not yield space to other things in the front pants pocket, especially coins. It is hard to generalize (and things are changing fast) but I find that many countries make more use of coins and cash than US, so when traveling abroad one tends to carry more coins. A traditional wallet allows space for coins underneath (and a key), so that money can be kept in one pocket, freeing the other pocket for something else. But a Rogue wallet should look better when dressed well.

That Rogue Nantucket looks like a good choice. Hope it proves to be a functional wallet.

For an international wallet you could consider going for a more traditional rectangular billfold. I say that partly out of a concern that has prevented me from buying a Rouge even though I like the design. The concern being that it might be too pocket shape fitting and not yield space to other things in the front pants pocket, especially coins. It is hard to generalize (and things are changing fast) but I find that many countries make more use of coins and cash than US, so when traveling abroad one tends to carry more coins. A traditional wallet allows space for coins underneath (and a key), so that money can be kept in one pocket, freeing the other pocket for something else. But a Rogue wallet should look better when dressed well.
You make a great point in that many countries outside the United States have a lot of coins circulating.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

My dad passed away a few years back and i took his Monte Blanc wallet. No way would i ever spend that much on a wallet.

Legion

Staff member
I use a front pocket wallet which I made. Minimalist, just a few cards, and I have designed it so they act like a money clip for cash. Been using it for a few years, and it is holding up just fine so far.

IMG_0756_zpscf2da674.jpg
IMG_0758_zps5f95ae1e.jpg

If you're looking for something a little more off-kilter, I recent got one from Zeit Works in Canada that is very attractive and reasonably compact

I've bought a few wallets and billfolds from Couch Guitar straps that are made using NOS car upholstery vinyl. My current wallet was made using old Mercedes upholstery. Have also bought a number of seatbelt guitar straps from them, key-guitar pick holder.

Wallets are nicely made, lots to choose from, not a lot of money but both mine and one my daughter has is starting to wear down, maybe five years of heavy use now.

Guitar Straps | Camera Straps | Cool Wallets | Couch Guitar Straps
dave

I've bought a few wallets and billfolds from Couch Guitar straps that are made using NOS car upholstery vinyl. My current wallet was made using old Mercedes upholstery. Have also bought a number of seatbelt guitar straps from them, key-guitar pick holder.

Wallets are nicely made, lots to choose from, not a lot of money but both mine and one my daughter has is starting to wear down, maybe five years of heavy use now.

Guitar Straps | Camera Straps | Cool Wallets | Couch Guitar Straps
dave

I'm more interested in the guitar straps... thanks for the link

I'm more interested in the guitar straps... thanks for the link

You're welcome! I have a number of the 'seat belt' guitar straps and really like them, i wouldn't hesitate to get more as my number of guitars expands. I did order one of the vinyl ones but i found it too stiff for my liking.
dave

Top Bottom