What's new

Wallet suggestion please

If I didn’t already have a bi fold wallet I would get this one to slim down as I like carrying my wallet in the front pocket as well.

Somewhere along the way I've lost my wallet and while one option is to replace it with what I had it's also a good time to look at options.

It was a Tumi Alpha Slimfold ID which for my needs was ideal. Goldilocks size at 9cm x 10.5cm (3.5" x 4.1"), eight card slots (five x primary, two x deep/wide (one at back of each side), one x ID) and a deepish notes pocket that could take one set of unfolded notes in the vertical or two sets of folded notes (i.e. one in each half) in the horizontal position. Durable material that survived multiple trips through the washing machine.

:thumbup1:
  • similar size
  • front pocket carry majority of the time, occasionally in suit breast pocket
  • eight card slots max
  • pass/ID window is nice but not necessary
  • real leather (preferred) or ballistic nylon (nothing pretending to be leather)
  • cow or some other mammalian leather (shark skin is so 1985)
  • matte smooth or pebbled finish
:thumbdown
  • coin purse (never understood the need for a wallet to have a space for coins, defeats the attempt to be flat/skinny

No particular loyalty to brand or country of origin.

What its replacing.....

View attachment 1114489View attachment 1114490

Suggestions?

In my left pocket, is a kangaroo leather wallet made by
Barmah. The strop guys and the whip makers
know that as far as mammalian leather goes,
kangaroo is the thinnest and toughest.

I second the ridge. I have the titanium version. Prevents me from keeping too much crap in there to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am normally a "leather" guy with wallets, but I bought the Ridge on a whim and I am never going back. I hate the money clip attachment, so do not use it. But it is the best wallet I have ever had.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
In a fit of late night mania, I last night ordered this:

The Slimfold Original SoftShell Wallet. Says it can hold up to 20 cards.

If it's not better than my Big Skinny I will just return it... that is what I am telling myself anyway.

1593017308803.png

The strop guys and the whip makers
know that as far as mammalian leather goes,
kangaroo is the thinnest and toughest.
While I realize this makes me something of monster what I'd like to get my hands on is a wallet made from seal. I had a pair of cowboy boots with the vamp and heal cap in seal leather (just the leather, no bedazzled fur), thin but tough wearing and very unique texture.

And look at what has made its way home, the lost wallet. Honestly, my surest way of me finding a lost item is to purchase a replacement.

IMG-1911.JPG

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
In a fit of late night mania, I last night ordered this:

The Slimfold Original SoftShell Wallet. Says it can hold up to 20 cards.

If it's not better than my Big Skinny I will just return it... that is what I am telling myself anyway.

View attachment 1117245
Update;

The Slimfold Original SoftShell Wallet is the single best wallet I have ever used. It's amazing.

It's so much easier to get cards in and out of it that any other wallet I have ever used. Putting cards back in the proper order and alignment is a cinch.

It's also of a uniform thickness, and thinner than any other wallet I have ever used.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have been carrying a Ridge aluminum for the past two years and I love it. Perfect for me i have to carry sbout 12 cards and it works good with a built in money clip
Use the same but with money strap. Can carry eveyrthing not card size under the strap. Was unsure at first if id miss something but since I got it I never looked back. Total satisfaction.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm amazed always that wallet threads are so often seen on a shaving forum .. but then I always reply, consistently as I can recall, that my best is a Rogue front pocket in Salmon Skin. Mine goes 3/8 inch thick fully loaded, but it is after all the load that determines the fatness of the wallet ..

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm amazed always that wallet threads are so often seen on a shaving forum .. but then I always reply, consistently as I can recall, that my best is a Rogue front pocket in Salmon Skin. Mine goes 3/8 inch thick fully loaded, but it is after all the load that determines the fatness of the wallet ..
Well, the threads always start with requests for *thin* wallet suggestions. Guys want to pretend that the thinness of their wallets is due to the wallet construction rather than the spending.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I get 15-20 years out of a Bosca 8-pocket. The price of a new one is always a surprise after a couple decades. Not the cheapest. I get mine monogrammed, but they may have discontinued that service.

Last edited:
I second a skinfold wallet. I love the tyvek original. The softshell is tempting but I am cheap and my last skinfold lasted a few years even with abuse. Super slim.

Thanks to your post, I believe I will buy one. They get great reviews, are inexpensive, and my wallet is dying.
I have had 6-8 of these over the years, right from when all they had was one model (ca. 2007). Ironically they discontinued that and I now use this:

Their original was much better quality.

"...With its revolutionary use of an advanced version of the thin micro-fiber material that made Prada famous...".

The material that they use now isn't quite the same. The old one didn't wrinkle.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have had 6-8 of these over the years, right from when all they had was one model (ca. 2007). Ironically they discontinued that and I now use this:

Their original was much better quality.

"...With its revolutionary use of an advanced version of the thin micro-fiber material that made Prada famous...".

The material that they use now isn't quite the same. The old one didn't wrinkle.
Thank you for the info! I did some research on them and they sound like a real success story.

I can recommend the Wrap wallet as the most minimalistic front pocket wallet. I have had several that I sewed myself and used. I have also recommended them to friends who have sewn them and love their minimalistic aspect. It is a great slim wallet made from goat leather but does not have RFID protection. The leather will stretch if you try to carry too many CC's in it.

My favorite front pocket wallet is the Popov 5-Card Horween Derby pull up leather wallet. This is a little thicker than the wrap, does not stretch and the cards do not slip out. I have used this wallet for about 18 months and the patina and character of the leather just keeps on getting better. The only negative is it lacks RFID protection. I carry mine in my front pocket. It is just thick enough that you know it is there but not obtrusive. My all-time favorite wallet, highly recommended.

Top Bottom