What's new

Wallet suggestion please

Somewhere along the way I've lost my wallet and while one option is to replace it with what I had it's also a good time to look at options.

It was a Tumi Alpha Slimfold ID which for my needs was ideal. Goldilocks size at 9cm x 10.5cm (3.5" x 4.1"), eight card slots (five x primary, two x deep/wide (one at back of each side), one x ID) and a deepish notes pocket that could take one set of unfolded notes in the vertical or two sets of folded notes (i.e. one in each half) in the horizontal position. Durable material that survived multiple trips through the washing machine.

:thumbup1:
  • similar size
  • front pocket carry majority of the time, occasionally in suit breast pocket
  • eight card slots max
  • pass/ID window is nice but not necessary
  • real leather (preferred) or ballistic nylon (nothing pretending to be leather)
  • cow or some other mammalian leather (shark skin is so 1985)
  • matte smooth or pebbled finish
:thumbdown
  • coin purse (never understood the need for a wallet to have a space for coins, defeats the attempt to be flat/skinny

No particular loyalty to brand or country of origin.

What its replacing.....

closed.jpg
open.jpg

Suggestions?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks for the suggestions! A few comments & questions......

I have had one of their wallets for YEARS. Great in every way.
I like the design but a question about the construction. In the pictures on the website the leather doesn't look very taut, are their wallets at all structured/stiff?

I have a wallet from Saddleback Leather and love it. They offer a 100 year warranty. Saddleback Home Page - https://saddlebackleather.com/
Thanks for the reminder about Saddleback, I've looked at their site in the past. Their medium bifold would be a match.

I just ordered a Finn wallet from Waterfield. I can't yet speak to the quality. It is scheduled to arrive Friday. Best Leather Wallets - https://www.sfbags.com/collections/wallets.
Nice wallet, just personally not keen on the zipper

Easy. Ashland Leather. Johnny the Fox model seems to best match your criteria. Someone will be along to second this rec. I assure you.
JoF is a definite contender, thanks! Some of the color combos are cool....I like the uniqueness.

A front pocket wallet from Rogue Industries. Fits to the curve of your front pocket. Great things. Have a look.
Very nice! I like the curved design for front pocket carry, the bison Rogue is a contender.

I have been carrying a Ridge aluminum for the past two years and I love it. Perfect for me i have to carry sbout 12 cards and it works good with a built in money clip
A question for users of the Ridge. There are hundreds of similar clone versions on Amazon at a fraction of the price, does going with the Ridge get you something other than the brand? I like the minimalist concept but I don't know if it would work for me given I always have a couple of extra business cards in my wallet and like a spot to keep receipts.

Thanks for the suggestions! A few comments & questions......

I like the design but a question about the construction. In the pictures on the website the leather doesn't look very taut, are their wallets at all structured/stiff?

Thanks for the reminder about Saddleback, I've looked at their site in the past. Their medium bifold would be a match.

Nice wallet, just personally not keen on the zipper

JoF is a definite contender, thanks! Some of the color combos are cool....I like the uniqueness.

Very nice! I like the curved design for front pocket carry, the bison Rogue is a contender.

A question for users of the Ridge. There are hundreds of similar clone versions on Amazon at a fraction of the price, does going with the Ridge get you something other than the brand? I like the minimalist concept but I don't know if it would work for me given I always have a couple of extra business cards in my wallet and like a spot to keep receipts.
Not going to work extremely well if you carry business cards or for receipts, I have several co-workers that went with the clones and they have all had quality issues with them as opposed to the Ridge. For me it is the best solution I have found to date but YMMV

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Not going to work extremely well if you carry business cards or for receipts, I have several co-workers that went with the clones and they have all had quality issues with them as opposed to the Ridge. For me it is the best solution I have found to date but YMMV
Can't speak to the leather one, as I do not have it.

This is what I have. I hold 16 cards in it, easily. It is very, very thin. The cards add a a bit of bulk but it is still much thinner than my previous wallet, which held fewer cards.

I love this company because their wallets are washable. Every once in awhile, I'll take everything out, run it through the clothes washing machine, and let it air dry. This is a good practice, because wallets get dirty.

The card slots are not loose, and not tight. They are designed to hold up to 4 cards each. Since the cards share compartments, the thickness of the wallet is reduced.

Finally, I have a soft spot for this company because it's clear they don't spend a ton on marketing/website design. The photos look amateur, the website isn't flashy. But, speaking as someone who has struggled with traditional leather wallets being much too thick, they suit me perfectly.

I got to tell you Mountainman, I had a Tumi for years. For some reason, not because the wallet didn’t work anymore, I decided I wanted to replace it.

I ordered a couple three via the net. I learned a valuable lesson. It’s best to buy a wallet in person.

So I went out into the wild to find myself a new wallet. Ultimately I just put everything back in my old Tumi. That a Tumi will be hard to replace with anything but another Tumi I’m thinking.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Can't speak to the leather one, as I do not have it.

This is what I have. I hold 16 cards in it, easily. It is very, very thin. The cards add a a bit of bulk but it is still much thinner than my previous wallet, which held fewer cards.

I love this company because their wallets are washable. Every once in awhile, I'll take everything out, run it through the clothes washing machine, and let it air dry. This is a good practice, because wallets get dirty.

The card slots are not loose, and not tight. They are designed to hold up to 4 cards each. Since the cards share compartments, the thickness of the wallet is reduced.

Finally, I have a soft spot for this company because it's clear they don't spend a ton on marketing/website design. The photos look amateur, the website isn't flashy. But, speaking as someone who has struggled with traditional leather wallets being much too thick, they suit me perfectly.
Forgot to mention, they are inexpensive. Very, very inexpensive.

Another vote for Saddleback. I have had one for 5 years and it is still good as new. They're motto is they'll be fighting over it when you're gone, or something to that effect. It's true.

If you find a good wallet and fall in love with it....., if it is still available buy the same one. I have had maybe 2 wallets I really liked and then as time/use wore them down, could not find them again....and back for the search....the search always ends with a LOT of useless wallets....for one or another reason.....
So if you know one you like and it's still available...get another.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I have had one of their wallets for YEARS. Great in every way.
Thanks to your post, I believe I will buy one. They get great reviews, are inexpensive, and my wallet is dying.

Top Bottom