What's new

Wall Street Journal article....

The most important part of the article for me was the hard data from drugstore.com that both Schick Injector and Wilkinson DE sales were up in 2009 from 2008 and that drugstore.com continues to lobby Schick to make these blades available. Having a retailer that is friendly, working on our behalf to keep them in production, and wants our business is very important to the continued production of injector blades......

I think if I had read that article before being exposed to DE shaving I probably would have tried some of the older carts like the sensor and trac II but it would have scared me away from DE blades. I am in my early 20s and I was afraid of starting with the DE blades because I had been conditioned to be believe that I needed all of the "safety features" of cartridge blades. But how many of you guys ever gash yourselves? I mean I've been at this for a little over 6 months now and I am to the point now where I rarely get a weeper. They also noted that the DE shaver in the article only does it on weekends because it is so time consuming. Again, I have added perhaps 10 minutes to my shaving time in the morning but reading that article would have intimidated me from even trying it. My two cents.

We say this a lot, but you're still spending pennies on something you love while those poor schmucks are paying ~$4 for a cartridge they hate.

. . . Oh wait a minute I'm not figuring in all of the money I've spent on razors,soap,cream,razor blades,brushes and ect,ect,ect. I have to learn to keep my mouth shut !:thumbup::blush:

Nice article, thanks for posting.

I don't think wetshavers were protrayed in any kind of light. The article is merely about the "evolution" of cartridge razors and what some are doing to offset the price.

get over yourselves.

I don't know, Alfredo, I think the article makes us look pretty stupid.

The owner of the store that sells the goods not only doesn't use them, he "might get around to trying it" SOMEDAY.

The confirmed DE wetshaver spent $260 for a razor and like wetshaving despite receiving "DEEP GASHES" from his razor. WTH?

I can't remember EVER getting a deep gash from a DE. Maybe a tiny weeper or two when I was just beginning. I don't cut myself anymore; and, as many of you know, I'm only a part-time DE shaver, as I use cartridge razors pretty frequently. Somehow I managed to survive a Slim adjustable DE shave this morning. Whew! Glad I didn't get any "deep gashes."

Sheesh.

WSJ is a paper for large scale capitalists to tell small scale minions how to think.

Gillette and Schick lays a very heavy hand via big money that causes the writer and the editor to play it safe and make anything that does not conform to the status quo and make "Big Cart" look bad.

It's not personal to them, It is JUST BUSINESS!

WSJ is a paper for large scale capitalists to tell small scale minions how to think.

Gillette and Schick lays a very heavy hand via big money that causes the writer and the editor to play it safe and make anything that does not conform to the status quo and make "Big Cart" look bad.

It's not personal to them, It is JUST BUSINESS!

The revolution man, the revolution, it's coming.

Many old cantankerous coots enjoy shaving with outdated "technology".

We asked Marvin Leroy what makes him such an anachronistic old foagie, he replied: "You damn kids get off my lawn!!!!" and began enthusiastically discharging his dual "six shooters" into the air.

He continued: "Im the rootinest, tootinest, old timer this side a sassafrass"

We then asked Freddie Kruger why he, despite the obvious strain on his appearance, he continued to use what amounts to a whirling katana blade attached to a lawnmower.

He told us: "I like cutting myself, I'm mean, ya know, I really get off on that kind of thing . . ."

It just goes to show you, there are all sorts of lunatics out there.

Yeah, when will these guys get with the times and stop being so cheap and just pay the extra $20 / shave for the 12 blade razor (six are spares).

I've read the WSJ for many years, and though it has added more features in a quest to be more of a national paper in recent years, it remains primarily a financial paper. This article was probably intended less as a human interest piece than as a financial article, and as a result seems poorly researched and less than accurate to the B&B enthusiast. There are many financial angles to the piece relevant to many parties: 1. Gillette and Schick have probably reached a tipping point in the ridiculousness of their products, even to the point of making previous satires of them come true. 2. Their cost has reached a tipping point as well as many men are now thinking twice about paying so much for a shave 3. Investors may find this pertinent before investing in these companies 4. Entrepreneurs may seize on niche markets that will develop as many men look for quality and inexpensive alternatives to $$$ carts. I think if Gillette were smart they would reissue the 1960s Slim in a "classic" edition, built exactly as before, and also reissue Blue Blades in retro packaging. That way they could co-opt some of this beginning rebellion against these latest toy-like overpriced contraptions that they expect grown men to shave with. But don't hold your breath!

Cartridges have no "give", and it is worse the more blades they have. A DE actually does "move" with the "contours of your face", in the way it should. Those hinged, lubricated, vibrating, plastic things are ridiculous, and that is the FINAL word.

Don't worry, boys, we are doing it right!

And, Gillette, what has two thumbs and thinks the people in your marketing department do not shave their faces?

:thumbup: THIS GUY.

Mr. Crowell attributes his ability to achieve a good shave with a basic blade to his strong putting game. "People who have a good feel for the contours of the putting green don't need a fancy razor," he says. "If you've got some degree of touch and feel, you can follow the topography of your face accurately."

I shaved par this morning

we're on the cutting edge ?:001_rolle

Sorry, I couldn't find a groaning smiley.

I avoided using cutting edge!!
proxy.php

Top Bottom