What's new

Walking stick?

Any suggestions on a decent brand, think I may need one for a while as I begin to walk again, recovering from ORIF surgery......I now have a plate and 9 screws added to me.........

I have a few from COLD STEEL. They're a knife company, but make some canes from very strong materials. My favorite was a solid carbon fiber one that was insanely strong and lightweight, but someone convinced me to sell it to them and I regret that so much, because I could never find one again. Now I have an aluminum one with a 1911 pistol grip and a couple Polymer ones that are too heavy for my tastes.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I put a handle on my Really Right Stuff monopod... double duty.... It's easy to adjust. It's set up with a lever release head so the handle is easily attached and removed. And I already owned the monopod since I'm a hobbiest photographer.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I use a traditional wooden crook handled stick. No brand. I have a derby too, but the crook handled one is more comfortable on the hilly terrain around here. Derby handles don't feel as versatile to me, and once you get off the flat level ground, it can load my wrist all wrong. With a crook, I just shift my grip around slightly, and all is well.

Legion

Staff member
Cold Steel market theirs as self defense weapons. I’ve not tried one out, but it sounds like they are made tough. Hopefully you will not have to beat on someone with it, but just using it as a cane, it will probably last forever.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Check into "Bubba Stick".
Despite the name they are quite nice. Made in Texas of hardwood with a Horse Hame knob for a handle.
I've got one on each of the three levels of the house.
If flipped around, it could be used as a formidable defense weapon.

th-2918409608.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
I used a carbon fiber cane after my hip replacement. Lots of choices from fashionable canes.com

My experience is that a standard crook cane is best. It gives you a good palm rest to take your weight and feels better in the hand while walking. For those times you need two hands you can hook it on you shoulder or even your neck. They can be found on Amazon for not much money. It can be just as handy as a weapon as any other style cane, if you have the training.

Top Bottom