What's new

walgreens gem blades

I used this for the first time and the shave was decent, a little burn but good for the most part. I used it the other day for the second time and it was the worst shave I have had in a while. Are the Ted Pella blades a better option? Or maybe I should just return to the DE razor.

I used this for the first time and the shave was decent, a little burn but good for the most part. I used it the other day for the second time and it was the worst shave I have had in a while. Are the Ted Pella blades a better option? Or maybe I should just return to the DE razor.

Be sure to get the stainless blades, preferably PTFE coated. If you got the non-stainless blades, they are only good for one shave as they start to rust immediately. I think they are labeled "GEM Persona Super Stainless", perhaps with all those words in a different order and placement on the package.

I suppose you could give them enough care by drying, oiling, soaking in alcohol, storing in sealed container, or whatever, but it isn't worth the trouble. Just get the stainless.

Note that Pella also sells the "wrong" as well as the "right" blades so you could make a mistake there, too!

Remember, Ted Pella does not manufacture blades. They are a laboratory supply company. The SE blades they sell are Gems made by American Safety Razor, as are the ones sold by Walgreens. The ones at my nearest Walgreens do not say PTFE coated on the package, but I believe them to be the same as the ones Ted Pella sells.

-Clarke

Remember, Ted Pella does not manufacture blades. They are a laboratory supply company. The SE blades they sell are Gems made by American Safety Razor, as are the ones sold by Walgreens. The ones at my nearest Walgreens do not say PTFE coated on the package, but I believe them to be the same as the ones Ted Pella sells.

-Clarke

I'm not sure, but I think "super" stainless means PTFE.

matt,

I wouldn't give up on SEs yet. They do require a little different technique than a DE though. Be sure you have a slick, but not sticky lather. Keep the razor's head nearly flat against your skin while using near zero pressure. BTW, what model SE are you using?

-Clarke

Top Bottom