What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

I just received an email from Jannik asking for my brush specs although I already sent them yesterday :( . I sent them again and I hope my emails are not lost in a spam folder

A1 is lather machine, great splay, nice backbone, and SOFT

Fantastic 😎

D645E810-7D39-40A6-806D-A6B98FB1AC06.jpeg

Well, too many B&B brethren that know a lot about traditional wet shaving have been speaking about this brush and I like what they’re saying so…
I ordered a 70 Moss Green/Ivory Nimbus handle with the fan Wald A1 knot.

The anticipation builds…

Well, too many B&B brethren that know a lot about traditional wet shaving have been speaking about this brush and I like what they’re saying so…

The anticipation builds…
I am anticipating right with you my friend

• Cheers
Reactions: GNR

The anticipation builds…
I haven’t seen anyone with a Green/Ivory Wald brush before, except there’s a guy on YouTube with it (John Shaves - and he seems to use it most shaves). Can’t wait to see yours.

I haven’t seen anyone with a Green/Ivory Wald brush before, except there’s a guy on YouTube with it (John Shaves - and he seems to use it most shaves). Can’t wait to see yours.
The color scheme sounded great. I’ve never actually seen it but, I’m sure I’ll love it.

Though I think from what I've seen and read Jannik puts out a quality and very good looking product but I made the decision the other day to pass on ordering a handle from him as I just couldn't see, other than the handle designs, where his A1 knot was any kind of upgrade from the 3 TurnNShave knots I have put together in the custom handles I had made for them... I think for the same reason I have passed on the 25mm STF as well. Knot diameter and loft I feel are deal breakers overall. All of mine I set in the 56-58mm loft range and work very efficiently for me.

I have the 25mm Angelhair, 25mm Quartermoon, and the 26mm Timberwolf knots, all fans, and have never had anything negative to say about them in the 4yrs I have been using them. At the time I was very hesitant as they were all larger than the 24mm knots I was used to but over time have grown accustomed to them but think the 29mm diameter with a 50 or 51mm loft of the A1 were the kickers that changed my mind as I think that would just be too large and scrubby for me to enjoy.

That’s completely reasonable. And doesn’t the increasing adoption of synthetic brushes kinda democratise shaving, normally? Nylon is just nylon - there’s no manchurian nylon, or high mountain white, or silvertip nylon.

I was trying to be careful in my comments to just be factual and not hype the brush or ignore the question of the price. It’s not something anyone needs. I expect most shavers would never consider paying this for a synthetic brush, and I imagine some would even be offended by its existence, and I get that. I thought that, nevertheless, some people might be interested to know what it’s like, without having to buy one to find out.

The way I think about it is that it’s a $200+ handle with an ultra-fine nylon fibre knot in it. I think with a lot of artisan brushes it is the handle work you are really paying for. That said, the A1 knot is an interesting development for synthetics and I guess this type of knot could be offered by other manufacturers quite inexpensively if it’s what people want. Maybe we will see that happen.
As I see it, the fact that it's "just" nylon is why it can be anything the designers want it to be.
My wife and I have the same model of carbon fiber bike, just different grades, hers is a small, and it weighs in at 21 lbs. Mine is a large and it weighs in at 15 lbs. The frames are equally strong, they just use a much higher modulus of carbon on my version of the bike, so they only needed 2/3 the carbon, and 2/3 the binding resin.
Ok, it's not specifically a shaving reference, it's just pointing out that when manufacturers figure out what people want, they can adjust the formula.

Sorry to resurrect this thread right now, when it will still be a while for Jannik to produce the Wald A1s some of you ordered, but I just took a picture of the A1 knot next to a G5D to compare, and I thought it might be worth adding to the thread.

The Wald A1 is on the left, and is a 29mm fan. The G5D on the right is a 28mm fan. The G5D spreads far more so it looks bigger, but I think this still gives a good sense of the differences in fibre thickness and knot density.

1D2B9E95-8D05-4F45-B2F8-D58BD721C581.jpeg

Top Bottom