What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

I have some of them on order, but with the holidays they have not shown up here. Shipping from China may go fast, or it may take time, even I opted to pay for the shipping and hope they ship faster than the free shipping option. I post in my vendor forum when they arrive.
It will be very interesting to hear your thoughts about the new Oumo Sparrow knot once you’ve played with it a bit.

Where does he post the drops? I think one is coming up in couple of hours.
Jannik either posts about the drops on email (if you’re signed up to his newsletter) or his Instagram account. Sometimes both, sometimes one or the other. I suspect he picks the notification method depending on how much demand he had the last time and whether a less publicised drop might help others get one. Normally he posts something a day or two before the drop.

I love my Wald A1 and went with the new Goldvein colorway. Today's drop has me wanting another one. I really love all the colorways and have wanted a purple one for a long time.

323204367_568555315120649_1410783759764629567_n.jpg

Since I have to make some choices now, what are people’s thoughts on the stratus vs nimbus shapes?

Since I have to make some choices now, what are people’s thoughts on the stratus vs nimbus shapes?
I have both the stratos and nimbus handles. They both feel very comfortable to me. I just like the look of the nimbus handle better for most colourways. I might get a stratos in black and white (orca) someday - I think that would look good.

Lately I’ve been favouring the bulb knot for my A1s over the fan. They both feel and perform the same - equally effortless to splay, and the bulb is a bit higher lofted to match the feel. I decided I like the look of the bulb slightly more.

After handle and knot shape, you only have to choose a colourway. Best place to see pictures of all the colour options is Wald’s Instagram account, and I think he posted photos of each colour when he launched it.

I have both the stratos and nimbus handles. They both feel very comfortable to me. I just like the look of the nimbus handle better for most colourways. I might get a stratos in black and white (orca) someday - I think that would look good.

Lately I’ve been favouring the bulb knot for my A1s over the fan. They both feel and perform the same - equally effortless to splay, and the bulb is a bit higher lofted to match the feel. I decided I like the look of the bulb slightly more.

After handle and knot shape, you only have to choose a colourway. Best place to see pictures of all the colour options is Wald’s Instagram account, and I think he posted photos of each colour when he launched it.
Thanks. I’ll check out the Instagram for the colourways. The nimbus is more distinctive, and I like the way it looks, so I’ll probably go with that.

Best place to see pictures of all the colour options is Wald’s Instagram account
Ooo, Daddy Zuckerberg is letting me view his(Wald) insta without an account... how generous!
(Want, want want that swirly turquoise so bad!😫)

Uh oh, don't tell Jim, he has a tiny version...

a drop just when I was checking this brush and I was trying hard to justify and convince my self to get one? It must have been an omen so I purchased one. Now I have to choose a color and unfortunately I don't like any of the color combinations with that jigsaw shape really much.

a drop just when I was checking this brush and I was trying hard to justify and convince my self to get one? It must have been an omen so I purchased one. Now I have to choose a color and unfortunately I don't like any of the color combinations with that jigsaw shape really much.
The jigsaw shape is kind of a Wald trademark but if you don’t like it there is the solid black (Raven), solid butterscotch (Werther’s), and the swirly Vintage Blue and Vintage Pink.

I‘ ll probably end deciding between the raven or vintage blue. Having not seen one closely in real life, I was wondering, what makes people praise the handle craftsmanship so much compared to other manufacturers? Is it the polishing? Is it the materials? What are the materials on the handle e.g for making the vintage blue color with the brownish watermarks. I suppose all the materials are some kind of resin?

I‘ ll probably end deciding between the raven or vintage blue. Having not seen one closely in real life, I was wondering, what makes people praise the handle craftsmanship so much compared to other manufacturers? Is it the polishing? Is it the materials? What are the materials on the handle e.g for making the vintage blue color with the brownish watermarks. I suppose all the materials are some kind of resin?
They are a nice quality resin (i.e. acrylic / perspex / lucite / plexiglass / PMMA - call it what you will, they’re different names for the same thing). Yes, it’s the polishing that makes the handles most stand out to me as premium, but they are clearly shaped and manufactured with precision and the material feels high quality (weight, feel, colour, ability to hold a high polish, etc.). I don’t know if any of that matters to you or if it is worth you paying more for it. It’s a plastic handle and it looks and feels high quality.

The vintage blue is a mix of light blue, brown and white. Of course each one will be unique, since the acrylic is hand poured and mixed, but all the ones I’ve seen look great to my eye. You can see pictures of my Raven and Vintage Blue A1s earlier in this thread (plus the Werther’s and Vintage Pink ones I have).

Very interesting thread. I have long felt that the time will come when synthetic knots will rival the best of the natural knots. Looks like we are getting close. I'm not surprised that truly premium synthetics are not cheap.

I really should put this thread on my ignore list. My G5C is awesome. $270 is way more than I should ever spend on a brush. And 29mm is a huge honking knot for a guy who prefers them on the smaller end of the spectrum.

But this sounds like an amazing knot. Not gonna lie, an A1 fan on a stratos (either handle, really) in any of several color combos (goldvein, deep sea, gengar, orca, raven,...) would be really cool...

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I really should put this thread on my ignore list. My G5C is awesome. $270 is way more than I should ever spend on a brush. And 29mm is a huge honking knot for a guy who prefers them on the smaller end of the spectrum.

But this sounds like an amazing knot. Not gonna lie, an A1 fan on a stratos (either handle, really) in any of several color combos (goldvein, deep sea, gengar, orca, raven,...) would be really cool...
At the risk of being an enabler, the 29mm knot acts more like a 26mm. Here’s my A-1 along side my 28mm DG Jefferson.
04CBDB28-E5F9-4CA7-BF6C-C47AB75CF74C.jpeg

Top Bottom