What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

I wonder if Jannik is planning to introduce another synthetic knot variant in the near future. I noticed the A1 knot designation is now stamped in the handle bottom, in a recent posting of a handle image. I don't believe it has been included with past releases. I assume with a single offering it was not previously needed. Of course he may just be introducing it for completeness.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’d say Wald’s badger brush is one of the best premium artisan style badgers. That is to say it’s dense two-band hair with strong-ish backbone and soft white tips. I have only one J3 brush. The tips are uniformly white and there is no single prickly hair in there. The tips are treated, of course (I don’t believe there is such a thing as a natural artisan two-band badger knot) but they are not gelled at all and they don’t clump or get crusty when the knot dries. The tips just feel soft and uniform.

Since you’re comparing to your SV brushes or Zenith Manchurians, and not other, similar, current artisan style knots, you would feel a very substantial increase in hair density and backbone and you would have zero scritch or prickle. Also the Wald 27mm knot will feel a bit bigger, bigger than the SV particularly. Of course you might well prefer the much more pliable, lower density, lower backbone of your current brushes, and you might prefer a little scritch. You can’t really know unless you try. It will certainly feel different.

It also just has a very definite overall feeling of quality. It feels more expensive, which it is, of course.
That actually sounds like something that interests me. I’m going to look at the handle color link.

Thx, Elliot.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have seen complete, one color Deep Sea handles, haven’t I?

I know that is a departure from his signature two color handles, but that might appeal to me.

I wonder if Jannik is planning to introduce another synthetic knot variant in the near future. I noticed the A1 knot designation is now stamped in the handle bottom, in a recent posting of a handle image. I don't believe it has been included with past releases. I assume with a single offering it was not previously needed. Of course he may just be introducing it for completeness.
Including an image from recent instragram post showing the knot designation stamp

331375467_3056635764483168_8479300589849975040_n.webp.jpeg

The below was taken from Jannick's IG post on 12/3/23.

"I have so many projects going simultaniously at the moment. Badger hair knots are still in the works. A small project was to add the "A1" at the bottom of the brush. This will be the standard from now on. If you wish to only have the Wald logo, feel free to make an according request.​

.​

I hope you like this little add-on!😊"​

For those in a similar boat as I was, Jannik has uploaded pics of all the colorways: Colorways - https://waldshaving.com/pages/colorways
Thank you so much for posting that, I'm so glad that's all in 1 place now and I don't have to scour his Instagram posts looking for a specific colorway! There's a brief description of each as well, which is helpful. I was going to ask if Orca's black was solid or sparkly, but now I don't have to anymore.

I have seen complete, one color Deep Sea handles, haven’t I?

I know that is a departure from his signature two color handles, but that might appeal to me.
Sometimes his drops include a few completed, one-off handles that are different from his usual colorways, so it could have been one of those. Those seem to sell really fast though, you have to jump on those right away if you see one you want.

I think someone's also mentioned that he'll sometimes do a custom colorway, but only if he likes the idea and it fits his brand.

I wonder if Jannik is planning to introduce another synthetic knot variant in the near future. I noticed the A1 knot designation is now stamped in the handle bottom, in a recent posting of a handle image.
He mentioned possibly introducing a smaller brush (22-24 mm) in an Instagram post a few months back, but it wasn't clear if he was referring to a synthetic or badger. Looking at the associated picture though, it looks like a badger.

I assume you just mean he doesn’t have a firm date. I trust he is still working on the J4 badger knot that he will release as soon as he is ready.
Yeah, his response suggested (reading tea leaves so no guarantee) that badger is just not top of mind. It'll probably happen, but I would not think anytime soon.

Top Bottom