What's new

Wald A1 Synthetic Brush

I like hybrids as well. My MiG is one. Mr. Shavington's A1 bulb, though, is a beaut. (It's the only one I've seen.)
I wonder if people choose fan knots because they expect they will splay better. It’s not always the case in my experience. For the Wald A1 knot I think the bulb and fan feel and perform the same.

I have three A1 bulbs now. Raven, Vintage Pink and Goldvein.

710288C7-326E-4B21-ADB8-C48CB6167DB2.jpeg

7F53AE34-A63F-49E8-BFBB-6A590C1F00E7.jpeg

267D184D-CBEF-49AD-9539-12123857B852.jpeg

Do you have a Mozingo? You might like it, and not just like it a little bit.

(I could be forgetting that you already have 12 of them.)

Very soft! I'm looking for the perfect handle into which I can ask Brett to install a 24 mm Mozingo. His knots are much larger than their nominal size might suggest.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I’ve been thinking your point about Mozingo knots deserves a better response.

I think first of all I need to say that ‘soft’ can mean two things to me. It can mean soft tips and/or it can mean low backbone or floppiness. I tend to only describe a brush as ‘soft’ if it is both, so the overall feel on my face is of softness. That is my preference these days, though I still appreciate a brush with backbone, and I also appreciate brushes with some scritch. Most of the time, though, I prefer a soft brush - soft tips combined with low backbone. That feels more luxurious to me and is the most gentle to my skin.

My Mozingos are very much in the realm of artisan hand-tied, dense knots. They are excellent, natural feeling hair. The tips are soft and uniform but the brush has strong backbone. This is what I think most of the artisans are aiming for these days - natural soft tips, dense, strong backbone. I wouldn’t call it a ‘soft’ brush, but rather a hard-ish brush with soft tips.

The Mozingo ZT2, though, has much less backbone than the other two and it’s one of my two favourite badger brushes before I discovered Plissons. The other is an Oumo 3-band that just happens to be a serendipitous knot for me (other Oumos of the same type weren’t as great as this one). I don’t know if other ZT2s are like mine - I bought it used from another collector and I believe it was originally a custom order and he specced a higher loft than normal.

I think what I’m getting at is that I appreciate the quality of a really good artisan badger knot, like Mozingo and a few others. I value the natural, soft tips, but for me I’d prefer less density and higher loft. Maybe I’d also prefer 3-band rather than 2-band hair. But the artisans are making what collectors want and that’s a firmer, denser and lower-lofted brush than my preference.

Does that make sense? For me a brush needs to be almost floppy for me to call it soft. I’d even say near-floppiness is a more important attribute to me than how soft the hair tips are. Probably my use of synthetics has helped open my mind to softer badger brushes. I think you can get badger brushes that feel just as soft as a good synthetic - it’s just not the current fashion, but it used to be more common.

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Fan knots seem to be the popular choice, here and on YouTube. Hope to see more bulbs.

I like a hybrid knot more than Fan or Bulb

I have had several fan knots and did not like them nearly as much as my bulb brushes. However, for the Wald A-1, the fan seems the way to go from an aesthetic perspective, as well as what seems to be a performance perspective. The Nimbus simply looks “right” with a fan knot, and looks awkward with a bulb knot. If I don’t like it, so be it. But I may love it! I will find out when it eventually gets here. Mine is one of the made to order brushes, so it’ll be a while.

I have had several fan knots and did not like them nearly as much as my bulb brushes. However, for the Wald A-1, the fan seems the way to go from an aesthetic perspective, as well as what seems to be a performance perspective. The Nimbus simply looks “right” with a fan knot, and looks awkward with a bulb knot. If I don’t like it, so be it. But I may love it! I will find out when it eventually gets here. Mine is one of the made to order brushes, so it’ll be a while.
You will love it my warm weathered friend

Doug

This may have been asked before, but 15 pages is a lot to go back and search through. For those who have both handles, is there a difference between them besides aesthetics? I seem to see a lot more Nimbus than Stratos. Does Nimbus feel better in the hand? Is one better for face or bowl lathering for some reason? Or is it just personal preference?

This may have been asked before, but 15 pages is a lot to go back and search through. For those who have both handles, is there a difference between them besides aesthetics? I seem to see a lot more Nimbus than Stratos. Does Nimbus feel better in the hand? Is one better for face or bowl lathering for some reason? Or is it just personal preference?
I’d say it’s just personal preference - whichever one looks better to you. Both are equally comfortable to hold, approx same height, same width.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I’d say it’s just personal preference - whichever one looks better to you. Both are equally comfortable to hold, approx same height, same width.
Can someone post a side by side pic? I always imagined the nimbus to be much larger with that big ridge around the waist. But the above statement may indicate otherwise.

I wonder if people choose fan knots because they expect they will splay better. It’s not always the case in my experience. For the Wald A1 knot I think the bulb and fan feel and perform the same.

I have three A1 bulbs now. Raven, Vintage Pink and Goldvein.

View attachment 1613255

View attachment 1613256

View attachment 1613257
They really look flawless, handle and knot. I've never cared for the look of fans. I don't like pointy bulbs either. Hybrids present the best of both in one. The Walds show the best of each.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ve been thinking your point about Mozingo knots deserves a better response.

I think first of all I need to say that ‘soft’ can mean two things to me. It can mean soft tips and/or it can mean low backbone or floppiness. I tend to only describe a brush as ‘soft’ if it is both, so the overall feel on my face is of softness. That is my preference these days, though I still appreciate a brush with backbone, and I also appreciate brushes with some scritch. Most of the time, though, I prefer a soft brush - soft tips combined with low backbone. That feels more luxurious to me and is the most gentle to my skin.

My Mozingos are very much in the realm of artisan hand-tied, dense knots. They are excellent, natural feeling hair. The tips are soft and uniform but the brush has strong backbone. This is what I think most of the artisans are aiming for these days - natural soft tips, dense, strong backbone. I wouldn’t call it a ‘soft’ brush, but rather a hard-ish brush with soft tips.

The Mozingo ZT2, though, has much less backbone than the other two and it’s one of my two favourite badger brushes before I discovered Plissons. The other is an Oumo 3-band that just happens to be a serendipitous knot for me (other Oumos of the same type weren’t as great as this one). I don’t know if other ZT2s are like mine - I bought it used from another collector and I believe it was originally a custom order and he specced a higher loft than normal.

I think what I’m getting at is that I appreciate the quality of a really good artisan badger knot, like Mozingo and a few others. I value the natural, soft tips, but for me I’d prefer less density and higher loft. Maybe I’d also prefer 3-band rather than 2-band hair. But the artisans are making what collectors want and that’s a firmer, denser and lower-lofted brush than my preference.

Does that make sense? For me a brush needs to be almost floppy for me to call it soft. I’d even say near-floppiness is a more important attribute to me than how soft the hair tips are. Probably my use of synthetics has helped open my mind to softer badger brushes. I think you can get badger brushes that feel just as soft as a good synthetic - it’s just not the current fashion, but it used to be more common.

Mostly I care about people being clear in their meaning. You are very clear so I know what you're talking about. Your points are well taken.

I like a "balanced" knot. Nothing overwhelming. Not too much of anything. Enough of everything. Yes, I realize how subjective all that stuff is.

I'm sure I like more density than some guys (such as you), and less than others. Etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Mostly I care about people being clear in their meaning. You are very clear so I know what you're talking about. Your points are well taken.

I like a "balanced" knot. Nothing overwhelming. Not too much of anything. Enough of everything. Yes, I realize how subjective all that stuff is.

I'm sure I like more density than some guys (such as you), and less than others. Etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I think, over time, most of us come to love a certain brush feel on our faces... I'm sure some people like a variety of face feels too... I can only say, thx to you again for encouraging me to try the SV 2.0 brushes... they feel the best of any brush I've tried. As a result, I'm not searching for something better.. or even something equal. I might buy a couple Zenith Manchurians because of some new handles... they are as close to SV brushes as I've found... for quite a bit less money.

I’m crazy excited for the next A1 synthetic drop, my very first Wald brush.

After having used two STF brushes exclusively for a few months, I have sold every badger brush I owned. The STF is wonderfully soft, I don’t miss my badger brushes at all, but reading this thread the A1 is even softer and more luxurious!!

Anyone guess when the next drop will be?? I am considering ordering a fan Nimbus Orca brush, but also the Deep Sea, Goldvein, and Vintage Pink (for its uniqueness) colorway speak to me too. In the meantime I’ll continue to enjoy using my two STF brushes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think, over time, most of us come to love a certain brush feel on our faces... I'm sure some people like a variety of face feels too... I can only say, thx to you again for encouraging me to try the SV 2.0 brushes... they feel the best of any brush I've tried. As a result, I'm not searching for something better.. or even something equal. I might buy a couple Zenith Manchurians because of some new handles... they are as close to SV brushes as I've found... for quite a bit less money.

Are you sure we're not twins!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom