What's new

Walbusch Adjustable Slant DE razor

A great birthday present that I'm only now really having time to admire. Here's a great looking Walbusch adjustable slant razor -- presented in it's Bakelite case and in a presentation box labeled "Horbachstahl." Not sure what that name refers to, but the Walbusch is obvious and is truly one of the more impressive designs and shavers ever made. Only a few seem to have made it into the market and the collectors all seem to hoard them. I know I will.

Seems to be unused and the usual chrome plating on the handle has a white coating on it (hard to get it to show up in my photos) -- perhaps a protective coating -- or else something unique to provide a look unseen in most other razors. Sadly it's missing the razor blade cases and the presentation case is not the one I had hoped for. But I'm still happy to have acquired this set and hope to shave with it during the holiday season. I want to see if it really lives up to its legendary reputation.

Enjoy these images, and let me know if you know what Horbachstahl refers to.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The adjustment numbers have a vertical line between them for finer settings.
proxy.php

The head is chrome plated. The handle looks to have some white coating on it -- which is why it looks more dull.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

No doubt a Walbusch from Solingen.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And thanks to my German friend who pointed out the availability of this beautiful example of German design and engineering, so I could add it to my collection.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That's an interesting razor. Very cool. :thumbup1: Thanks for sharing. Please, let us know how it shaves once you get a chance to try it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, that is a stunner sir. I have no idea what the name means,but just a guess a combination of two surnames? Horbach & Stahl? Looking forward to hearing how it shaves also.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I saw that sell recently (or one like it) and hoped it went to someone here, glad it was you.

That's a beautiful razor, Jake.

Horbachstahl refers to a metal company, Horbach & Schmitz G.m.b.H.

$$_57.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the image that explains the meaning of the company name. May have been a gift box from Horbach & Schmitz. A company promotion or holiday gift.

Beautiful specimen, as always, Jake. I have a couple of these, but not quite in this condition. The B5's handle has a different shade to it, I believe, because it is silver plated, while the head is chrome plated. If you haven't shaved with it yet, I find they really show their use - the black bakelite takes on soap in difficult to clean places. Also, the head piece is made from (brace yourself) Zamak. I know this because of some plate loss on mine, which you can see in the attached photos. The B5 is a very smooth shaver, similar to the Merkur Progress. The feel is slightly different, as you would suppose, because of the different top cap design and the tilt at which the blade is held.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nice razor. I wondered where that went :) Still, one of those is on my wishlist.
[MENTION=21099]nemo[/MENTION] : the handwriting on your picture says "Please do not copy." :laugh:

There are more adjustable slants, however all I've seen so far are non-torqued slants. Different approach to adjustability has for instance Punktal, who made a few models where the slant angle can be adjusted in three positions. I also have an adjustable Eversharp slant, a razor that takes DE-blades yet must be used as a SE. That one also has adjustable bladegap, like this Walbusch has.
The B5 shaves like a dream, very pleasant. Not sure if the adjustability adds to the shavingpleasure, it does add weight however. In that sense, maybe I like the all-bakelite Walbusch B3 slant, also vailable as Merkur, Zorro, Eros, etc, better. Same head except not adjustable, but less weight.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

It looks so similar to Merkur I have to ask, were these produced by Merkur?

Adam

Here are mine two Walbuschs. The only difference I can see is between both plastic cases. One has the Horbachstahl-

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom