What's new

Wal-Mart Stores & Van Der Hagen Deluxe

Buyers Be Advised!

After searching both online and in person in four different stores in my area, I am saddened to announce that apparently Wal-Mart no longer carries the Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving Soap on their store shelves. At least in my area of Indianapolis, IN. However it is still available online....for the moment.

This was confirmed by employees I spoke with in each store, and I hate to see it go. It was the cheapest place I could get it without having it shipped and I love that stuff! I visited the Van Der Hagen web site to see if the decision was made because the product was in the process of being repackaged, reformulated or anything like that, But I saw no evidence of this.

One girl at the store told me that it may be brought back, but that is rarely the case where retail is concerned in my experience. She also said that I could call 1-800-WalMart to voice my displeasure.

FYI - It is still available at Walgreens and Target as far as I know, but at a price of approximately $1.50 or more per puck. These two stores also carry other "higher end" Van Der Hagen Soaps, too.

Just thought I'd share. Smooth shaving everyone!

There were a couple of threads a few weeks ago of others seeing multiple shaving items on clearance at their local Wal-Mart. At my store, the VDH Deluxe has been cleared out but it has been replaced with VDH Luxury @ $3.50 a puck. IMO, the Luxury line is better than the Deluxe and the price is very reasonable.

Regardless, I more disappointed that they got rid of the Brut Dominant aftershave splash.

I don't use VDH anymore but I always considered it a good some at a great bargain price. My Wal-Mart also dropped it but it is still available at most local pharmacy and grocery stores in my area.

It's been a while since I've been to one of the Walmart's in my area. I'll have to look the next time I'm in there. But, I do recall the last time I was in there, the VDH deluxe soaps were on sale (I think the rack was empty too).

I was just in Walmart today and they had the Luxury soap and the shaving kit but I can't remember if it was the Deluxe or Luxury kit.

I don't think I've seen the luxury soap anywhere. Here in central FL I haven't seen it at Walmart, I think maybe the kit.

During business school, I saw a documentary about Wal-Mart's negotiating processes for products and the way they keep their costs lower than anywhere else. Suffice it to say, many companies will take a loss if they cave to their wholesale demands. Rubbermaid was one of them and is why they were sold to a Chinese firm. If Van Der Hagen pulled out because they continued to demand a lower wholesale cost, good for them. If it was because of demand, then that is too bad.

if you want to watch the documentary go to YouTube and search: Frontline is Walmart good for America?

Josh

Last edited:
I just picked up some today at Walgreens. They were running a two for $5 special. I have noticed that the price is slowly rising. I panicked when I couldn't find it. Almost had to settle for Williams!!!

During business school, I saw a documentary about Wal-Mart's negotiating processes for products and the way they keep their costs lower than anywhere else. Suffice it to say, many companies will take a loss if they cave to their wholesale demands. Rubbermaid was one of them and is why they were sold to a Chinese firm. If Van Der Hagen pulled out because they continued to demand a lower wholesale cost, good for them. If it was because of demand, then that is too bad.

if you want to watch the documentary go to YouTube and search: Frontline is Walmart good for America?

Josh

I remember reading a story about the owner of Snapper (Lawn Mowers) actually said NO to them because he didn't want to reduce the quality of his mowers in order to keep selling them there.

I picked up a few at Kroger on clearance for $1.29 today. I'll try and make up some of my own blends with it.

The Ralph's Grocery Store aka Kroger's by my house carries it and it's at a close-out price of $1.88 a puck. At the CVS Pharmacy it's the same price also a close-out price if they are going to re-package then they probably will raise the price. Maybe I ought buy a few of them. :shaving:

Josh

I remember reading a story about the owner of Snapper (Lawn Mowers) actually said NO to them because he didn't want to reduce the quality of his mowers in order to keep selling them there.

I remember that also. If Van Der Hagen did that more power to them.

I remember that also. If Van Der Hagen did that more power to them.

After what I posted what I said, I did some more research and found out that Snapper eventually sold out to MTD which sold out to Briggs and Stratton which now sells Snapper once again in Wal Mart. Got to love the irony in the story!!!!!

After what I posted what I said, I did some more research and found out that Snapper eventually sold out to MTD which sold out to Briggs and Stratton which now sells Snapper once again in Wal Mart. Got to love the irony in the story!!!!!

I was about to jump in and add that, but you beat me to it! I'm sort of a lawn equipment snob myself. There are actually two lines of Snapper mowers; the cheapo units sold at Wal-Mart & Sears, and the old-fashioned units (solid axles, the disc drive system) sold through dealers. Toro has the same strategy.

WalMart carries the VDH Luxury line now, at least in my neck of the woods. These just started appearing recently, so I don't know if they are pulling out entirely. I know the Luxury set sold at WalMart has a lower-quality brush than the ones sold on Amazon (Boar instead of Badger, although it's a much better boar than their Deluxe brush). They also sell the Luxury soaps, a favorite of mine, for about $5. It's more expensive than the Deluxe soaps they used to sell, but the incease in quality is worth the increase in price, IMHO.

Top Bottom