What's new

waiting for straight

I decided to make the switch from DE to straights and I finally ordered a sight unseen straight from Whipped Dog along with a silvertip. Still waiting for it and I've been wondering if there is a size of straight that is easier to learn on (5/8, 7/8) or does it just come down to technique as with everything else?

Most razors you'll find are 5/8 to 6/8 and that is a good size.
Monster razor do look cool, but are not always the most practical.

In my opinion, the size of the blade doesn't matter very much while you're learning (as long as it's a fairly common size and style). After you've learned the basic technique, you discover which size and style you prefer. My first straight was a 9/16 from Whipped Dog.

I started with 6/8s and found 5/8 harder to use at first due to the much lighter weight. Larger razors carry more lather and don't need to be cleaned as often during the shave.

Anything from 9/16 up to 6/8 is pretty good for a starter. Preferebly a round point so you don't have to watch out for a sharp tip but that's easily fixed.

My first straight was supposed to be delivered today, but the snowstorm has delayed the delivery. I cant wait to get it

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Its just preference, as long as you start with a normal range, like they said. As a newbie you have not established a size preference yet, so it doesnt matter. A bigger blade does carry more weight and offers more stability, but a smaller one is easy to manage under the nose. Or so we assume, and those are simply justifications for liking one size over another. Shave with what you got coming. Later, try a couple of different blades. You might decide you like a particular size, shape, or grind, or you might decide that as long as it is sharp you like it just fine.

Attachments

• $straight.jpg
    $straight.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 75
Most razors you'll find are 5/8 to 6/8 and that is a good size.
Monster razor do look cool, but are not always the most practical.

if by monster razors you mean 7/8s-10/8s I am not sure what you mean.. in the past, i've heard others poo poo shaving with even a 6/8+ razors in such a way that could be construed as skills issue and i am completely befuddled by that commentary, so please take no offense to my response to your comment, it's more like me trying to get past the veiled criticism i've heard or seen..

to me, larger razors are just as functional as mid-size razors. some advantages: there is more potential life in a 8/8 than 5/8 (you may not live to see it though), you don't having to wipe/rinse off soap on every pass, angles may be easier to attain (some have said it's harder to shave with a 3-4-5/8s honestly shaving with a 4/8s or 9/16s is kind of odd, i don't like the feel), i like the heft and feel that a larger razor has... what's not practical about them? or what's more practical?

having seen some of the sight unseen razors of late, i am not sure i would have enjoyed learning to shave with a straight razor and stuck with it.. my move from a 5/8+s GD to a 6/8+s GD was a significant enjoyment change and each 1/8s move up the width came with enjoyment returns for me..

again just light conversational banter.. no malintent

... a smaller one is easy to manage under the nose. Or so we assume, and those are simply justifications for liking one size over another.

Shave with what you got coming. Later, try a couple of different blades. You might decide you like a particular size, shape, or grind, or you might decide that as long as it is sharp you like it just fine.

slash great comment, but when you say "or so we assume" do you agree with that under the nose issue or is it a non-issue? i've heard it before and it's confusing to me to imagine the difference. can you explain?

I'm pretty new to straight shaving. I started with a 5/8 (round point) from Whipped Dog, a 11/16..? (round point) from Buca and a 6/8 (square point) from Ralf Aust. I use them all and outside of aesthetics, don't prefer one over the other. I have found that I'm better at maneuvering the square point.

It looks great in the picture.

Thats good to hear. I did some reading on what to look out for as far as wear and whatnot. I got it for $32, which was cheaper than i could find them locally in antique stores and this one seems much nicer too.

Really cant wait. My cart razor is toast.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
slash great comment, but when you say "or so we assume" do you agree with that under the nose issue or is it a non-issue? i've heard it before and it's confusing to me to imagine the difference. can you explain?

I dont state that as a fact for the simple reason that I cant be objective about that and I am not sure anybody else can, either. We do have preferences and we do justify them with various factoids. The fact is simply that we do develop preferences and usually because of our perceptions and not by scientific process. But I do believe that a 5/8 gets under the nose better than a bigger razor. Unfortunately a double blind test would be pretty much impossible, and I can only go by my perceptions and reasoning to arrive at that conclusion. Not at all like the face vs bowl lathering thing, where the better way is totally obvious.

I have no issues shaving with 6/8 up to 8/8 even under my nose. Bigger than 8/8 is a PITA most of the time and smaller feels insignificant in MY hands.

Ideally i think that the Japanese have it down. Most of their stuff is 13/16 and that works best for me.

Top Bottom