What's new

Wait... so I'm supposed to apply AS splash AND balm?

I wasn't aware of this. Really. I've been using D.R. Harris Arlington aftershave milk exclusively after my shaves and I haven't had a problem.

What is the logic behind using a splash and a balm? Is it practical, or is it just a way to burn through supplies faster in order to appease acquisition disorder?

Thanks in advance.

For me it depends on the season - in summer the splash is more than sufficient and in winter AS and balm is required due to overly dry skin.

I think it just depends on the user. I use splashes almost exclusively, but if I see/feel that my skin is dry afterward, I'll toss some balm/milk on as well.

IMHO: a splash is a good idea to "close" the pores (I know, they don't really close), tone the skin, and to somewhat disinfect the skin after shaving. A balm may or may not be necessary/desirable depending on how dry or tight feeling your skin is left after shaving. This dryness/tightness may vary by season and by products used (for ex., English soaps are wonderful, but can be drying). OTOH, you may wish to avoid a balm (or at least a thicker balm) if you have oily skin.

I've been using a cold (no, frigid) water rinse to close my pores up to this point. I guess maybe I should look into a good splash since we're going in to summer. Proraso's splash is well loved, no? Any other recommendations?

I like Aqua Velva ice blue - nice menthol kick, cheap, and widely available. That said, when I get a job, I'll probably pick up some proraso :)

I've been using a cold (no, frigid) water rinse to close my pores up to this point. I guess maybe I should look into a good splash since we're going in to summer. Proraso's splash is well loved, no? Any other recommendations?

I alternate between Thayer's lemon witch hazel and the TSD (the shave den) splashes in mojito and lime. Boosters oriental in the winter.

Cold water will work just fine tho, however, you may want something with witch hazel (good for the skin) or alcohol (disinfecting).

As for the initial post, I always thought that using both was a waste of time and product. If a product I use isn't working for me on some level, I just don't use it. That said, everyone is different.
If you're looking for a good splash though, you should go with Speick splash; it's the absolute best aftershave product I've used.

Balms are better at moisturizing than splashes. They also heal and soothe by themselves.

If your skin feels too dry after a splash, or if you still are feeling razor burn after a splash, a balm can help out immensely. Otherwise, it's not really necessary.

i suppose i may not be doing it "correctly" but i use a balm right after shaving for soothing the skin and then a few minutes later, i use an after shave for a bit of nice scent and some pore tightening

As for the initial post, I always thought that using both was a waste of time and product. If a product I use isn't working for me on some level, I just don't use it.

This sums up my take on the matter. I won't use an aftershave product that isn't sufficient by itself. Sometimes I use a balm, more often I use a splash, but either way, I only use one product after any given shave.

Basically, do whatever works best for your skin. I spent 20 years following up my shave with cold water and maybe some of my wife's moisturizer. Now, I have a couple balms and splashes that I use as the mood strikes. There's really no rules other than find out what works for you.

I like to use both. The splash really soothes and makes me feel like I haven't actually shaved at all, but because my face tends towards dry, I add a little balm to moisturise.

The exception is Musgo, a balm or moisturiser is totally unnecessary. I would stick with this for that reason, but I really enjoy Proraso and Speick splashes. So I won't deny myself them.

I've tried using balm by itself, and used cheap ones and moisturiser for 10-15 years, prior to DE shaving. But it's not the same for me. I like my splashes.

As one of my buddies likes to say, it's your cake--decorate it however you like. Try one, try the other. Try them both. Do what you enjoy. I think that it's important when learning to shave with a DE (or a straight, for that matter) to take the accepted patterns and work with them until you get them down. After that, you have to figure out what works best for you. You may move away from the way you learned to do it and go on to something very different that gives you good results. Aftershaves are much more flexible. A little experimentation and you'll get it the way you like it.

Top Bottom