What's new

Wagner cast iron

I have one that has been on this Earth much longer than I have, and will probably outlast me. My dad always made fried potatoes in it when I was a kid, and now I'm doing the same. Is it in fairly decent shape, or rusted out quite a bit? Mine was in storage for years and had a bit of rust build up, and then I had a roomate in college who put it in the dishwasher!

If it's rusty, use some coarse kosher salt and some sort of an abrasive pad (I used a stainless steel scratch pad) to get out the rust. If I remember right, I also used some vegetable oil, and then just dumped the salt on top and scrubbed the heck out of it.

After this, you'll need to re-season it, which can either be done by one of several methods you can find in a quick Google search, or just by using it several times to fry things high in saturated fat (bacon, sausage, etc).

I picked up the 10.5" WagnerWare pan from a local thrift store for only $6. Used a drill mounted steel brush to clean out the caked on build-up, re-seasoned it and now it's a great pan. It's got a nice smooth cooking surface compared to modern cast iron pans.

Top Bottom