What's new

Wade & Butcher Questions

I have just recently honed up two old Wade & Butcher razors.
I should be interested to hear from the W&B experts anything they have to say about these two.
The first one appears to me to be very old. It did have elaborate etching to the blade, now practically invisible, but the words "Freedom Protected" may be seen. Any ideas?

Neither this one nor the "Golden Clipper" are stamped "England" so I presume that they are pre-1895.

Thanks in advance,
C.
Old W&B.jpg

W&B Golden CLipper.jpg

I can't help with ID or history, just wanted to compliment you on the score.

Many thanks; these two were presents from a generous B&B member! I am very grateful. Despite the honing wear &c., both have honed up well and provide smooth shaves - especially the big old chap.

C.

It’s strange. Sometimes you can get answers to difficult questions about unknown razors. Wade & Butcher "Freedom protected" with an eagle and flags is too noticeable a razor for no one to know about it. I saw on ebay the seller pointing out that this razor was the American Civil War era. Is it so?

S

Squinty

I was looking at Wade and Butcher advertising a few days ago, prices were $8 > $33 per dozen
Something similar a notched 'Golden Rod' $33 per dozen in 1899?

I would hazzard a guess that actually its post 1891 McKinley bill and Freedom Protected might be a dig at freedom to trade?
Theres one on Strazor.com although the angle doesn't allow the text to be seen clearly, looks like American / Freedom either side of an eagle.

The golden clipper is the youngest of the 2, has the arrow marking with 4 fletching on each side, puts it circa 1860's. The other one is not a snub tail so its after 1840's plus wade and butchers from 40's to older either were just stamped wade and butcher and had the royal stamp with the kings reign. There was no manufactured by or sheffield stamped on it. I would date the second one respectively in the 1850's. Hope that gives you a ballpark estimate.

Larry

[QUOTE = "Squinty, post: 10398508, member: 127830"]
Несколько дней назад, цены были $ 8> $ 33 за дюжину
«Золотой жезл» 33 доллара за дюжину в 1899 году?

Я бы рискнул предположить, что это может быть копьем в свободной торговле?
Один из них на Strazor.com, хотя угол не позволяет четко видеть текст, выглядит как американский.
[/ QUOTE]

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    894.3 KB · Views: 9
[QUOTE = "Njguy1977, должность: 10398581, участник: 108553»]
Золотая машинка для стрижки является самой младшей из двух, имеет маркировку стрелкой с четырьмя краями на каждой стороне, ставит ее около 1860-х годов. Другой - не курносый хвост, так что после 1840-х годов плюс вэйд и мясники от 40-х и старше были просто штампованными вэйдом и мясником и имели королевскую печать с царствованием королей. Там не было изготовлено или штамп Шеффилда на нем. Я бы встречался со вторым соответственно в 1850-х годах. Надеюсь, это даст вам приблизительную оценку.

Larry
[/ QUOTE]
So the date is between 1840 and 1860?

[QUOTE = "Njguy1977, должность: 10398581, участник: 108553»]
Золотая машинка для стрижки является самой младшей из двух, имеет маркировку стрелкой с четырьмя краями на каждой стороне, ставит ее около 1860-х годов. Другой - не курносый хвост, так что после 1840-х годов плюс вэйд и мясники от 40-х и старше были просто штампованными вэйдом и мясником и имели королевскую печать с царствованием королей. Там не было изготовлено или штамп Шеффилда на нем. Я бы встречался со вторым соответственно в 1850-х годах. Надеюсь, это даст вам приблизительную оценку.

Larry
[/ QUOTE]
So the date is between 1840 and 1860?

1850s and 1860s

Кстати, у меня есть бритва с короной и буквы «VB», перпендикулярные марке производителя. Значит ли это, что бритву можно датировать 1840 годом?

Attachments

• DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0026.JPG
    DSC_0026.JPG
    984.9 KB · Views: 7
The VR stamp would be 1838 to 40s , the one you posted previously with the eagle would be from 1850s to 1860s. Something like that one with the engraving doesnt make it civil war era because of whats on the blade. A true civil war era bade is a wedge profile and there is no tail or a really short stubby one and the razors edge is pretty long as there was no shoulder at all. There are some members here that have them so they are out there, but buyer beware on what a seller is telling you, ALWAYS!

The trick is with the W&B blade or any other blade is not only the stamping that dates it but also the grind, thickness of the spine, the profile, the tail length, thickness of the tail, the engraving or etching technique, materials used for scales etc. etc. As manufacturing machines advanced during the 1800s so did the shape of the razor as we know of today. There is no possible way outside to pinpoint an exact year, only can assume based on factors I have explained a group of years. The only sure fire pinpoint years are the royal stamping varriants and even those are based on a group of years.

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Njguy1977, должность: 10399740, участник: 108553"]
Марка виртуальной реальности будет от 1838 до 40-х годов, а та, которую вы опубликовали ранее с орлом, - с 1850-х до 1860-х годов. Нечто подобное тому с гравировкой не делает его эпохой гражданской войны из-за того, что на лезвии. Подлинная эра гражданской войны - это клиновидный профиль, у которого нет ни хвоста, ни очень короткого, а лезвие бритвы довольно длинное, так как плеча вообще не было. Здесь есть некоторые участники, у которых они есть, поэтому они там, но покупатель остерегается того, что продавец говорит вам, ВСЕГДА!

Уловка с лезвием W & B или любым другим лезвием - это не только штамповка, которая его датирует, но также шлифовка, толщина позвоночника, профиль, длина хвоста, толщина хвоста, техника гравировки или травления, материалы, используемые для весы и т. д. По мере того, как производственные машины развивались в течение 1800-х годов, изменилась и форма бритвы, которую мы знаем сегодня. Нет никакого другого способа определить точный год, только предположить, основываясь на факторах, которые я объяснил группе лет. Единственными точными годами пожара являются королевские штамповки, и даже те, которые основаны на группе лет.
[/ QUOTE]
Я хочу извиниться за язык. Это перевод Google. Я хочу поблагодарить вас за ваше терпение и большие знания.
Американская гражданская война была с 1861 по 1865 год. Вы датируете бритву орла и флага с 1850 по 1860 год. Тогда все то же самое. Но это бритва с нормальным хвостом

Top Bottom