What's new

Wade & Butcher Barbers Use with small crack

Afternoon guys, just scored this WB Celebrated Barbers Use off the auction site. Had some awful looking aluminum scales and superficial rust on it which all went away, but there is some pitting. No biggy there, but I discovered a small crack near the edge at the toe. Reprofiling the toe to a spanish point or something seems like it could work, but I figured I'd run it by you guys first to see what you all think. Thanks a bunch.

IMG_2551.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_2550.JPG

That looks like a beefy blade, if so you probably don’t have to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like good news, but here's a shot of the grind. It's not that beefy. Are the worsening of cracks only a problem for really hollow grinds?

Attachments

• IMG_2553.JPG
    IMG_2553.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Here it is after some sanding, it's showing more. Will this worsen every time I hone?

Attachments

• IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
That is a pretty beefy blade, I think I would leave as is, your bevel shouldn't be anywhere near the crack.

Thanks for your input Doc, keeping the tip the way it is would be great, as long as water doesn't rust the blade from the inside out. There's also the question of value, cracked razor versus modified razor.

Perhaps not for this razor, but would a carbide hacksaw blade be able to through hardened razor steel?

Doubt you would cut that with any hacksaw. If you are going to modify it you would need either a grinder or belt sander.

Another thing, are you sure it’s a crack and not just an illusion. I’ve seen these on older blades that look like cracks.

Value, I think once you have a crack or a modification the value goes down (on most blades)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll echo Doc, leave it alone. The blade is fine as is and the crack should not propagate further if you properly care for you razor (same rules as all other razors).

The line is visible from both sides of the blade, very likely a crack. I've sanded it up to 180 so far and it's keeping its old character while still looking very clean and usable. Very satisfying.

Do folks usually use a wire brush to clean out pits? I read somewhere that you can do that and then fill the pits with an epoxy to prevent more rusting.

As Doc says leave it i have one with a crack near to the heal and mine is fine, but when i use mine I make sure its dry afterwards and rub froglube on the area that has the crack to stop air getting to it.

I get what you guys are saying, it still being functional and all, but after much contemplation, if I'm going to spend the time restoring this thing the crack has to go. Restoring a big Sheffield chopper with new gorgeous scales and a mirror finish, but leaving a huge crack in it, really ruins the look and plummets the value in my eyes. I appreciate your input, it's always respected!

A couple hours with a QEP diamond file and it now has a Spanish point. The file has lost some of its bite, but it still very much works. Using the smaller edge of the file to carve into the hardened steel in many places, and then using a larger side to take down the peaks is the method I used, and it worked like a charm. It's all about focusing the pressure on smaller surface areas.

Attachments

• WBMod1.JPG
    WBMod1.JPG
    867 KB · Views: 81
  • WBMod2.JPG
    WBMod2.JPG
    584.6 KB · Views: 82
  • WBMod3.JPG
    WBMod3.JPG
    618.2 KB · Views: 80
  • WBMod4.JPG
    WBMod4.JPG
    601.2 KB · Views: 79
Very cool. Nice work indeed.
FWIW - I was so very much hoping you would go for it. I just could not see leaving that crack when the fix was so obvious. Kudos.

Thanks Gamma, it's up to 1000 grit right now and I'm not sure if I should leave the filed part rough like that (which doesn't look bad per say) or sand it with the rest of the blade. I paused the resto until I can find some suitable scales. I'm thinking lighter colored scales instead of that classic black horn.

Thanks Gamma, it's up to 1000 grit right now and I'm not sure if I should leave the filed part rough like that (which doesn't look bad per say) or sand it with the rest of the blade. I paused the resto until I can find some suitable scales. I'm thinking lighter colored scales instead of that classic black horn.
I can't see it well in the pix, but I might consider rolling some w/d around a thin dowel and getting that curve a little smoother. Maybe not as polished at the blade, for contrast - but smooth enough so it is easy to clean and it doesn't patina too much too quickcly. Might be fine as-is though. It honestly does look fine as is, I'm just thinking out loud.

The crack was not in the description, but it was in awful condition. I finally found time to make some scales for it and polish it up, here are some before and after pics to get an idea.

8/8 - 15/16, scales are black horn with faux bone wedge

EbayWB3.jpg EbayWB9.jpg WadeButcher Done 1.jpg WadeButcher Done 2.jpg WadeButcher Done 3.jpg WadeButcher Done 4.jpg Wade Butcher Done 5 .jpg Wade Butcher Done 6.jpg

Top Bottom