What's new

Wade & Butcher: 7/8 Barbers Use Bocote & 6/8 Barbers Notch Restore

It's been a long time coming, but I've finally finished a few firsts at once. My first full restoration, my first set of scales, my first time pinning a razor and my first time shaving with a razor fully restored by me. I'd like to send a HUGE thanks to Maxi (from SRP) for his patience, guidance, shop time and beer. Truly a great mentor and a good friend and I very much appreciate all he's done for me and all he's taught me. Anyway, here are my two first complete restorations:

W&B Barber's Use 7/8

This blade came to me as an Ebay hope & pray. The original scales were borderline salvageable, but they had some pretty big cracks in them and didn't survive unpinning. Luckily, I had been working with bocote and had a nice set of scales ready to go which fit this razor perfectly. I salvaged the original lead wedge for these, as well. The blade had some pretty heavy pitting in areas, but I managed to buff a lot of it out. Being a hollow grind, I didn't want to take off too much metal and I also wanted to leave some of the history intact. I think it's a nice satin finish that shows this blade's character. I started with 80 grit on the wheel, then went to 150, 220, 320, 400 by hand and then back to 600 on the wheel. After that, I just polished it with some Maas. The scales are finished with hand-rubbed Tung oil which was then buffed on the wheel.

Before:

proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

W&B 6/8 Barber's Notch:

This one was quite banged up. It looks like someone took a grinder to the etching, as there was the faintest hint of the "Celebrated" etching on the blade. It also had a fair amount of pitting on the back side, which required a fair amount of time on the buffer and also hand-sanding. In the end, I am happy with removing a lot of the abuse this blade took, as well as bringing the scales back to life. They spent approximately 5 full days in Neatsfoot oil, then were sanded by hand from 220 up to 2500, then a micromesh progression up to 12k. The scales are tending to peel a bit, so I decided to just leave them as they were at that point, as any further sanding would have removed too much material. I am also quite proud with how the pinning turned out on this one, as it was my first time pinning a razor (pivot only).

Before
Bottom
proxy.php

proxy.php

After
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for looking!

Gorgeous! Love the knot that you chose to include in the scales. That adds uniqueness and a TON of character. Well done.

Thanks. I got lucky because the knot for each scale came from two different ends of the stock plank, but they look very similar. I did sort of waste a good amount of stock material, but I had to have those knots :lol:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Thats really nice. I am infatuated with Kamisori right now, but threads like these remind me I still have that space reserved in my Razor box for a big chopper.

Thanks. I got lucky because the knot for each scale came from two different ends of the stock plank, but they look very similar. I did sort of waste a good amount of stock material, but I had to have those knots :lol:

I noticed the knots first too. In fact, thought you had a set of matchbook scales with the way the knots mate up so perfectly.

Both restores look great but the Bocote is awesome.

Top Bottom