What's new

Wade and Butcher that takes modern blades?

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg
I recently picked this up in a lot of razors, and to my surprise, it takes modern blades. From what I have read online, they all had square pegs and took special blades. My question for those more knowledgable about these Wade and Butcher de's is; is it possible that it could have been manufactured like this, or do you think someone modified it along the way. Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks!

Interesting. The stud placement is visible on the top of the cap, something you do not see on other Wade & Butchers.
My gut says modification.

The Wade and Butcher safety razors did have square holes on the base plates, but only the very base of the studs were square. When I say base I mean like a 1/32 to 1/16.

These images are probably to small to see, but they are of the circle stud placements on the caps. I also found a thread on another site where the user just slightly modified a Gillette blade to fit. Can you snap a picture of just the underside of the cap?

$cap.jpg$cap2.jpg

The Wade and Butcher safety razors did have square holes on the base plates, but only the very base of the studs were square. When I say base I mean like a 1/32 to 1/16.

These images are probably to small to see, but they are of the circle stud placements on the caps. I also found a thread on another site where the user just slightly modified a Gillette blade to fit. Can you snap a picture of just the underside of the cap?

View attachment 393123View attachment 393124
sure

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 42
Could someone have filed off or ground down the square corners? There seems to be a pattern of plate loss at the base of the cap studs, and on the studs themselves. The studs also look a bit rough.

Could someone have filed off or ground down the square corners? There seems to be a pattern of plate loss at the base of the cap studs, and on the studs themselves. The studs also look a bit rough.

The closer I look at it, that's what I am thinking as well.

Top Bottom