What's new

wade and butcher damascus steel

I just picked up a wade and butcher damascus straight on ebay. The blade had a small chip in the edge that I was able to remove with a Norton 220 stone. I have had some decent success with setting the bevel on a Norton 1000 progressing though 4000, 8000 and coticule finishing with diamond pastes. The shave was close but the edge pulled slightly. almost felt brittle at times. The blade also has a slight smile too it, making it harder to get a consistent edge across the entire blade. Anyone have any experience with these blades or tricks to the trade for honing damascus that they could pass on? Thanks.

There are different strokes that you use when honing a smiling edge...

Most use what is called a rocking or rolling X it is exactly what it sounds like..

You might want to dig up Heavydutysgt's vids on honing as he demonstrates it very well in his series...

The easiest way to hone smiling blades is to pay particular attention to the water ripple at the edge... On a smiler it will move from heel to toe evenly as you hone, keep that going and eventually you will have a even sharp edge...

Also I have never had much luck with Diamond pastes on Sheffield blades... YMMV of course...

Here are some photos. I removed the chip in the edge, but I'm thinking of sending it out for a full restoration and new scales. It's a piece of artwork and should clean up nice!

its a fake :(

i'll take it off your hands if you like :blushing: you wouldnt want that fake infecting your other razors, you know, ive got a disposal program in effect

i'll even pay postage for your convenience
:lol:

That's a good looking razor, but it doesn't look like it is actually Damascus steel. A lot of companies used that label as a marketing thing back then when the steel was just the same as everything else they made. There are some framebacks with a similar label and an etched pattern to make it look like a pattern welded steel.

Top Bottom