What's new

Wacker Old Sheffield returned from the Doc

My Old Sheffield returned from it's short trip to the Doc @Doc226 . Alfredo did a great job modifying the original black horn scales. The scales extended too far into the tang when opened. He also replaced the brass rivets with small silver domed rivets. The wedge was black, maybe even plastic. It needed some contrast and Alfredo recommended white bone. It came out stunning. In person you can see the subtle grain of the natural bone. Needless to say I couldn't be happier with the results.

Before- notice distance from pivot to end of scales
20191008_175539.jpg

20191008_174949.jpg

20191008_175025.jpg

After a trip to the Doc

20191015_171900.jpg

20191015_171911.jpg

20191015_171924.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow. I have seven straights, maybe six. I dream of a day when I can get them half as nicely refinished. Beautiful,

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Love black horn with contrasting wedge, bone, ivory. A significant improvement. Looks really sharp.

Never understood the pivot on Wackers being pushed forward like that. I can’t keep my eye off it. Been like that for a long time. Probably why I don’t have any.

Brilliant job, enjoy it, congratulations!

Last edited:
Love black horn with contrasting wedge, bone, ivory. A significant improvement. Looks really sharp.

Never understand the pivot on Wackers being pushed forward like that. I can’t keep my eye off it. Been like that for a long time. Probably why I don’t have any.

Brilliant job, enjoy it, congratulations!

I agree. I've seen a few Wackers with and a few without this issue.

Now that looks stunning!!! Doc does a beautiful job on the ones I have seen posted, they are all high class work I bet that was hard to open without catching the end of the scales... & yes the white wedge looks far better than the black did..... :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

Now that looks stunning!!! Doc does a beautiful job on the ones I have seen posted, they are all high class work I bet that was hard to open without catching the end of the scales... & yes the white wedge looks far better than the black did..... :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:
More than anything, it made stropping and shaving uncomfortable. The scales going into the tang messed with my hold.

I think Wacker made the changes to reduce complaints. Horn can flex. Using wedges, thinner scales and more distal pins can increase the chance of this happening and increase production time. When humidity or just nature happens and the blade touches the scale people scream for a return. Dovo, Aust and Thiers have done the same thing to some extent especially with natural scale materials.

Top Bottom