What's new

Wacker Chevalier - tip grind variance or chip?

Hi - looking to pick up a dream razor (Wacker Chevalier) and its spendy. A store has one, and apparently its new in box, but the tip looks possibly off to me. Was supposed to be an extreme french-point and it is, sort of. I believe that the wackers are hand ground, so maybe the rounding is just variance. Looking for advice from a more experienced pair of eyes. Clearly I don't want to buy a damaged razor for full price, but if this is fine, expected and doesn't affect the shave or value, then I'm inclined to pull the trigger. Also included a stock image from Wacker.

1624453724853.png
1624454085297.png

Attachments

• TIP.jpg
    TIP.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 35
That’s not right. I wouldn’t want to put that toe on my face. Go to Wacker directly and order off the website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See, in searching google images, I've seen great variance in the apparent tip from this (being one of the most extreme) to the almost squared point of the stock images. Makes me wonder if manufacturing variance vs damage but not sure. Definitely don't want to buy something that is damaged unless I got if for the right price and was able to have the tip reground by an expert.

This may not be damage, but I would not buy it. There is another member here, @Matt O , who had a Wacker Old Sheffiled with a weird barber's notch. It seemed the barbers notch was cut closer to the edge than the spine. This was obviously done at the factory.

That Chevalier may have been made Wacker with that point. It still doesn't make it right.

It's possible that it was damaged during grinding, but if that's the case I'm not sure why they would let it pass QC checks. Also, the ragged edge makes me think it was dropped after it hit the store or possibly a return. I agree that you should pass. It's not a cheap razor and you want to get one that's in perfect condition for that price.

Or someone bifurcated their earlobe with the point and ground it off :-O But most likely damage or repaired damage (chipped toe).

Absolutely not right. The wicked French point is a hallmark of the Chevalier. Many mute it out of fear, but there's no need if you pay attention (or better, very, very close attention). I'd pass without a second thought. (My Chevalier is one of my favorite razors.)

To be honest mine looks close to that but more rounded and it was purchased many years back and NIB and came directly from Wacker, I never really gave it much thought …the shave it gives me is perfect every time

E9D540FE-994C-4DFA-A3B7-88C21B55CF39.jpeg
26D30B69-37B3-4BCF-A858-37A7B2CD57F7.jpeg

I hate that even the best photo I got from them is still really blurry. I can't tell whether its fluff/oil or whether the tip really has a jagged, flat edge.

I hate that even the best photo I got from them is still really blurry. I can't tell whether its fluff/oil or whether the tip really has a jagged, flat edge.

I think it's clearly jagged along the edge. It looks like someone either dropped it or tried to mute it with a Dremel or grinding stone.

Gents,

The OS I had with the more unique barbers notch was not damage, and was 100% refined/finished.

The unfinished jaggedness on that toe/tip looks terrible, and I cannot imagine Wacker putting one out with such an egregious QC issue. I would do a HARD PASS on this one, unless you could pick it up for a song.

Vr

Matt

Some razors I have more of an emotional attachment to and others, whatever... as long it does the job. If it's a dream razor though I would hate to be always second-guessing myself. Even it it were "correct" in some way shape or form (I'm in the "nope" category) I would still hold out for an example that inspries desire rather than doubt.

Top Bottom