What's new

W. H. Sample & Sons

Just got handed a razor (for my birthday!) a few minutes ago................

marked W. H. Sample & Sons, Capitol Razor, Albany, NY

Box is similar, and has Germany on it, too.

Razor looks to be in decent shape, nice patina, no nicks, needs some honing.

What do I have?

Thanks.

Rich

roughrider said:
Happy birthday and nice razor. :smile:

Nice catch RR. Happy Birthday Rich! :smile: Welcome to B&B. I hope you frequent often. We've got a great group of guys here.

Yes, first straight razor. Had it on the gold stone this morning, I believe this is going to be a good one.

Now gotta get a good strop. What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

Our very own Tony Miller offers some incredible strops. I have one of his 4 sided paddle strops and a hanging strop. Great prices, first class customer service, and "he is a member". Never mind, that was the hair club thing!

http://www.thewellshavedgentleman.com/

Checking with Tony will give you the opportunity of not only buying great merchandise, but it is handcrafted by someone who actually uses a straight razor.

Best of luck!

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
Rich,

Our very own Tony Miller offers some incredible strops. I have one of his 4 sided paddle strops and a hanging strop. Great prices, first class customer service, and "he is a member". Never mind, that was the hair club thing!

http://www.thewellshavedgentleman.com/

Checking with Tony will give you the opportunity of not only buying great merchandise, but it is handcrafted by someone who actually uses a straight razor.

Best of luck!

Randy

I second that.

OK, Tony it is.............

May also try that 5/8 razor he has on there.

So, 4-sided strop or the hanging one? The hanging one certainly looks more "traditional", altho' I am used to using a paddle strop while doing knives.

Thanks for all of your help, this looks like a great place to spend some more money.............. :)

Rich

My recomendation is for a beginner to use a paddle strop. It is easier to use, you don't have to worry about sagging and cupping leather with it.

My recomendation is for a beginner to use a paddle strop. It is easier to use, you don't have to worry about sagging and cupping leather with it.

What Laz says. I started with a paddle strop weeks ago, and just barely used a hanging strop for the first time. Practice with that butter knife, even with the paddle strop. I didn't think to do this and I put a few very minor nicks in my paddle strop, luckily I have been able to sand them out. What you learn from the paddle strop will transfer right over to the hanging strop.

Randy

Top Bottom