What's new

W&B Scale question

I picked up a W&B on the bay:
$$(KGrHqNHJEYE916R2vY4BPmYL(z(yw~~60_57.jpg$$(KGrHqZHJBQE9qmdGl47BPmYMGFLFg~~60_57.jpg

My question is on the rear binding point, with the cordage. I *believe* I've seen this many moons ago, but I have no idea whether it was a tactful el cheapo great-granddad fix, or factory. There is no rear pin hole, and the scales have a small, nicely shaped notch (top & bottom) to hold the cord.

I'm thinking, if this was OEM, that I'm going to disassemble, thoroughly clean, then refasten, using red, white, or royal blue silk thread, or possibly a weave of 2-3 colors (as the mood strikes me), saturated with epoxy.

Is this stock, or no?

Thank you in advance...

I think you're right with the el cheapo fix-it. I have a set of similar scales that are without a pin on the closed end. They are holding tight but I can see where they could come apart with a fall or something like that. Epoxy is probably all you'll need to get that set right.

...Ray

It is a fix, and proven by time (many razors are fixed like this). Installing a pin is probably best, given the condition of the scales.

What are the scales made from anyways?

Phil

I think you're right with the el cheapo fix-it. I have a set of similar scales that are without a pin on the closed end. They are holding tight but I can see where they could come apart with a fall or something like that. Epoxy is probably all you'll need to get that set right.

...Ray
:wink: Silk won't rot, and, until you step up to kevlar, is the most abrasion resistant cord you can use. I have the parts & skill to pin, but my question is whether or not this may have been a factory "repair", or sold this way. The hinge pin is so nicely finished, I can't see replacing that (as a repair), and not doing the rear, so...

Can anyone say, "Yes, it was...", or, "No, it wasn't..."?

It is a fix, and proven by time (many razors are fixed like this). Installing a pin is probably best, given the condition of the scales.

What are the scales made from anyways?

Phil
Thanks, you replied while I was typing. I just received it yesterday, and haven't had time to really fondle, uh, "examine", it closely. I don't think synthetic, looks very much like bone...

I have the same set of scales on an original W&B. They're synthetic and they should look something like this. If it were me I'd pass on the pin and use an epoxy to make the proper repair. I'm sure when this 'fix' was originally done they didn't have the benefit of modern glues and epoxies. I'd lean towards keeping the single pin and keeping it original. I'm not sure how many of these scales are still out there. And your scales are in what appears to be fine shape. No reason for pinning.
Interesting detail, the wedge is molded on only one of the scales.

Attachments

• $IMG_1677.jpg
    $IMG_1677.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 51
  • $IMG_1678.jpg
    $IMG_1678.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Agree - its a DIY fix.

Keep it stock and don't drop a new pin through, just glue her up if she's coming apart, or even glue and then re-wrap in something. Nothing wrong with keeping the history of the razor intact.

Top Bottom