What's new

Vw beetles.

Anyone here drive the old school vw beetles? Been really tempted to pick one lately.
Any pros or cons to one?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Pro is obviously the cool factor
Con would be getting one in decent shape. I was in one that struck a snow bank and missed a telephone pole by inches. Fortunately never tried to test the claim that they float.

I learned how to drive a stick on one long ago in the 70's. I think it was a 69. They are fun, but require a lot of maintenance. If you are good with cars, no problem. The engine is in the boot (rear), which requires you to get low to the ground. The bottoms on the old ones tend to rust out, so be sure to inspect carefully.

I’ve been doing some reading today on what to look out for. Rust always seems to be the big problem, otherwise you can generally fix anything on it.

My first car (circa 92') was a 74 super beetle. I drove it for 2 years until I traded up. The car was dead simple and there was very little to actually break. Back then, there was still a reasonable supply of parts from both NOS and new production from South America/Mexico. I don't know what the part supply looks like today.

The engine is very very simple and easy to work on. There are a ton of books on how to work on it along with the rest of the car. It has heat but no A/C originally. If yours has A/C, it is going to be a slow poke.

The only issue I can see today is keeping decent highway speeds. That car was never really designed to travel at a sustained 75 miles per hour. Back in '92 speed limits were about 10 mph slower so the car handled just fine. At higher speeds, the old school brakes (drum) and manual steering don't give the same margin of error that more modern cars give. I really didn't like taking that car up past 70.

I love the car, but would question driving one today. The Karmann Ghia is a much better choice. The later ones had disc brakes. The vehicle was also far more aerodynamic so it handled speeds up to 80-90 just fine. Ask me how I know....

The Beetle and the Ghia are basically the same engine, same transmission and similar frame with a very different body.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a recollection of watching a Scooby-Doo show back when I was a young kid, and "Scooby and the gang" were driving around in a VW Beetle. During the show, the "bad guy" put their car into a car crusher and turned it into a cube of crushed metal; at the end of the show he felt bad about that and gave them his panel van, which they then painted up and turned into the iconic "Mystery Machine". I suspect this may have been the pilot episode. I've never been able to confirm this memory subsequently, but ... it's a cool memory.

My first car (circa 92') was a 74 super beetle. I drove it for 2 years until I traded up. The car was dead simple and there was very little to actually break. Back then, there was still a reasonable supply of parts from both NOS and new production from South America/Mexico. I don't know what the part supply looks like today.

The engine is very very simple and easy to work on. There are a ton of books on how to work on it along with the rest of the car. It has heat but no A/C originally. If yours has A/C, it is going to be a slow poke.

The only issue I can see today is keeping decent highway speeds. That car was never really designed to travel at a sustained 75 miles per hour. Back in '92 speed limits were about 10 mph slower so the car handled just fine. At higher speeds, the old school brakes (drum) and manual steering don't give the same margin of error that more modern cars give. I really didn't like taking that car up past 70.

I love the car, but would question driving one today. The Karmann Ghia is a much better choice. The later ones had disc brakes. The vehicle was also far more aerodynamic so it handled speeds up to 80-90 just fine. Ask me how I know....

The Beetle and the Ghia are basically the same engine, same transmission and similar frame with a very different body.
Thanks for the info! Don’t plan on taking it on the highway, more of an around town cruiser. Used to have an 80s Camaro that I sold 10 years back foolishly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for the info! Don’t plan on taking it on the highway, more of an around town cruiser. Used to have an 80s Camaro that I sold 10 years back foolishly.

I had a summer job in 1986 working on a small "parks crew" that made a hiking trail in the woods near (half-hour drive+) from where I lived. We would meet and carpool to the trail head, using the crew boss' panel van and one guy's old Beetle.

It was a really old Beetle (gonna guess late 60s) and had a bunch of quirks ... most of which I forget. I think there was something funny about the gas gauge for example, but don't remember the details. Overall impression was ... it was basic, rudimentary transportation with no frills ... even by 1986 standards. But it seemed to suit him so ... that's the main point. That sort of thing can be fun to drive ... IF that is the sort of thing you are looking for.

I drove a '74 Super Beetle for about eight years or so. Some will tell you to avoid the Supers but they handled better, had twice as much luggage space, and had a bit more space up front with the fishbowl windshield.

You are talking about a car essentially from the 1930's era. They were designed to be driven on unimproved roads and maintained at roadside garages with a few basic tools. Mechanically very simple and durable. Drives like a go-cart. Can be maintained by the owner for the most part. Has character.

Performance is pretty terrible by today's standards. 0-60 in 15+ seconds. Top[ speed 81 mph. Cruising speed about 70 mph. Weak four-wheel drum brakes that fade when hot and suck even more in the rain. Safety almost non-existent. Prone to rust in places. Heating system involves passing hot air over the air-cooled engine into the passenger cabin. Heating is dependent on engine speed and may be inadequate to clear the windshield in winter. Rust in the heat exchanger system means exhaust and carbon monoxide can be ducted into the passenger compartment. Brilliant. The fuel line from the gas tank to the engine is made of cloth covered rubber which can rot, leading to gasoline leaking out over a hot engine which can cause a fire. The gas tank sits in front of the passenger compartment, so think about that for a minute.

Frequent maintenance required. Valve clearance adjusted manually every 3K miles. Oil changes every 3K miles. Brake adjustment every 6K miles. Tune up every 12K miles, but often more frequently, IIRC. We are talking about mechanical breaker points that must be adjusted using a feeler gauge. Manual single-barrel carb where you adjust idle speed and mixture with a screwdriver.

For an old reliable beater car to drive around town, I think I'd rather have something more modern like a 2005-2008 Toyota Matrix.

I drove a '74 Super Beetle for about eight years or so. Some will tell you to avoid the Supers but they handled better, had twice as much luggage space, and had a bit more space up front with the fishbowl windshield.

You are talking about a car essentially from the 1930's era. They were designed to be driven on unimproved roads and maintained at roadside garages with a few basic tools. Mechanically very simple and durable. Drives like a go-cart. Can be maintained by the owner for the most part. Has character.

Performance is pretty terrible by today's standards. 0-60 in 15+ seconds. Top[ speed 81 mph. Cruising speed about 70 mph. Weak four-wheel drum brakes that fade when hot and suck even more in the rain. Safety almost non-existent. Prone to rust in places. Heating system involves passing hot air over the air-cooled engine into the passenger cabin. Heating is dependent on engine speed and may be inadequate to clear the windshield in winter. Rust in the heat exchanger system means exhaust and carbon monoxide can be ducted into the passenger compartment. Brilliant. The fuel line from the gas tank to the engine is made of cloth covered rubber which can rot, leading to gasoline leaking out over a hot engine which can cause a fire. The gas tank sits in front of the passenger compartment, so think about that for a minute.

Frequent maintenance required. Valve clearance adjusted manually every 3K miles. Oil changes every 3K miles. Brake adjustment every 6K miles. Tune up every 12K miles, but often more frequently, IIRC. We are talking about mechanical breaker points that must be adjusted using a feeler gauge. Manual single-barrel carb where you adjust idle speed and mixture with a screwdriver.

For an old reliable beater car to drive around town, I think I'd rather have something more modern like a 2005-2008 Toyota Matrix.
One of the reasons I was interested in one was because of what you said earlier. A car that could take a beating and maintained by the owner mostly.
Didn’t stop to think about the other issues you mentioned though, I guess there’s no way to modernize those components then is there?

One of the reasons I was interested in one was because of what you said earlier. A car that could take a beating and maintained by the owner mostly.
Didn’t stop to think about the other issues you mentioned though, I guess there’s no way to modernize those components then is there?
I would consider it more of a hobby or enthusiast vehicle than daily transportation nowadays, to be honest. It's been a long time, but getting parts is probably more difficult these days. Something is always needing attention on a car that old. They can be very fun cars, for sure, but as a daily driver I would think about something else.

You can convert the front drum brakes to discs. Install an electronic ignition system, better carburetor. Roller tappets for the valvetrain. Oversized pistons and cylinders. Upgrade the fuel line and wiring, etc. You are still left with an old car with abysmal safety, prone to rust, poor heating system and various mechanical flaws.

An older, well-maintained Toyota Corolla or Mazda 3 would be a more modern equivalent to the old Beetle. You can get parts, have better safety, better performance, better comfort, modern HVAC system and so on. People can fairly routinely go for 250,000 miles on an old Corolla or Matrix without very many repairs.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My wife had a '74 Super Beetle when we got married. Kept it a few years. Fun car; it had what I think was called a "semiautomatic" transmission. If I recall correctly you had to use the clutch to put it in reverse and first, but all the other gears just slam it: no clutch needed.

I would not have another. The technology is just so much better than the old days. I was always going to buy one of the new VW Beetles that came out in what, '98?

Just waited too long. You can get pretty decent used ones around my area. But I've got a Toyota Yaris ('08?) that has a 5 speed that fulfills my inner teenager now.

And it actually has heat and AC!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
As far as the engine goes, my mechanic says it’s just like working on a lawn mower.
They make the BEST Dune Buggies though!

About the only car I know that you just carry a spare rebuilt motor around with you to swap it out on the expressway if the original blows!

Surprised that B&B doesn't have a "Burning Rubber" subforum.

The thing is.... cars have gotten better. Modern cars routinely go 100K miles with basic service: oil changes, brakes, and tires. With good care and some additional major maintenance/service (timing belt, other fluids, etc...), 150K is easily attainable.

We are about to purchase out first BEV. No oil changes and electric Vehicles routinely go 100K miles before needing a brake job. Battery life/longevity (not range... separate discussion) is basically a non-issue. Cabin air filter and tires are the about the only items we expect to replace in the fist 100K (maybe more... but didn't look past that).

Why is this germane to the topic of a classic car? Well... these old cars actually... aren't that great for those used to modern amenities (yeah... I'm getting soft). Not sure how many of us last with them as daily drivers. That's why the resto-mods are so popular.

We're buying the BEV but I've been lobbying my wife for a muscle car (V8, manual, limited slip)... I think the next few years will be the last opportunity for me to scratch that itch before they start to disappear.

Simplicity definitely has its place. I have fond memories of mine, but I would only recommend it as a "hobby" vehicle.

One a side note, I am surprised at the number of us who owned a '74 super beetle. What are the odds?

Surprised that B&B doesn't have a "Burning Rubber" subforum.

The thing is.... cars have gotten better. Modern cars routinely go 100K miles with basic service: oil changes, brakes, and tires. With good care and some additional major maintenance/service (timing belt, other fluids, etc...), 150K is easily attainable.

We are about to purchase out first BEV. No oil changes and electric Vehicles routinely go 100K miles before needing a brake job. Battery life/longevity (not range... separate discussion) is basically a non-issue. Cabin air filter and tires are the about the only items we expect to replace in the fist 100K (maybe more... but didn't look past that).

Why is this germane to the topic of a classic car? Well... these old cars actually... aren't that great for those used to modern amenities (yeah... I'm getting soft). Not sure how many of us last with them as daily drivers. That's why the resto-mods are so popular.

We're buying the BEV but I've been lobbying my wife for a muscle car (V8, manual, limited slip)... I think the next few years will be the last opportunity for me to scratch that itch before they start to disappear.
My wife has been talking about us getting an electric vehicle. We don’t drive much though but I still like the idea.
I guess the beetle would have to be more of a hobby car than a daily driver.

Top Bottom