What's new

Vulfix Simpsons Shaving Brush

@kooshman7

Thank you for the advice. I originally thought that I may be expecting too much or that there was something wrong with my particular brush, from the experience of others it looks to be a common problem that they are a bit of a letdown and once I feel let down by a brand the entire range has a big questionmark against them.

I will take a look at Semogue, cheers.

It’s not a *problem*, per se, that a super badger brush is soft and floppy. That is the nature of the thing. The hair is softer than bristle or lower grades of badger. This kind of soft hair is found in a lower quantity on a badger’s body than the harder, pricklier hairs. So they sell for a higher price simply because of the rarity, and because a lot of guys prefer less prickliness.

The point is that how much a brush will satisfy you is not directly related to the price of its hair knot. Different people want different attributes from their brush hair. The guys who like soft badger knot pay the most, because that hair is harder to get and so knots using it are typically made with a higher degree of care than knots with cheaper and more common hairs. Those who like the stiff boar bristles or prickly stiff badger hairs pay less. To each his own.

It’s not a *problem*, per se, that a super badger brush is soft and floppy. That is the nature of the thing. The hair is softer than bristle or lower grades of badger. This kind of soft hair is found in a lower quantity on a badger’s body than the harder, pricklier hairs. So they sell for a higher price simply because of the rarity, and because a lot of guys prefer less prickliness.

The point is that how much a brush will satisfy you is not directly related to the price of its hair knot. Different people want different attributes from their brush hair. The guys who like soft badger knot pay the most, because that hair is harder to get and so knots using it are typically made with a higher degree of care than knots with cheaper and more common hairs. Those who like the stiff boar bristles or prickly stiff badger hairs pay less. To each his own.

Yes, agreed. The problem is mine, there is a mismatch between this very soft and floppy brush that spreads and has no backbone and a firmer brush which is my personal preference, as pointed out earlier, a blend of bristle and badger or a synthetic brush would be my next purchase.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Yes, agreed. The problem is mine, there is a mismatch between this very soft and floppy brush that spreads and has no backbone and a firmer brush which is my personal preference, as pointed out earlier, a blend of bristle and badger or a synthetic brush would be my next purchase.
Don't discount badger completely as some have plenty of backbone. A two band or Manchurian style knot, a more dense knot, and one with a loft no more than twice the knot size will have plenty of backbone. Of course the cost of the brush will likely be considerably higher. 👍

Totally Agree - we all want something different from a brush which comes at different price point - hence so many choices out there with either off the shelf or custom made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned two Vulfix brushes in the past and sold or traded both: a #404 Grosvenor badger/boar mix which had plenty of backbone and scrub and a black pure badger which was very prickly and floppy, which was such a letdown for me. Once I purchased my first Simpson in best (a Commodore X3), I never looked back. Now I'm trying to decide if I should stick entirely with best or gamble on a Chubby 2 in Super. My Emperor 3 in super has no backbone and feels like a mop compared to my other Simpson brushes in best and though the chubbies in super are supposedly much more dense, I'm not sure if I would be setting myself up for a similar letdown or if the difference in price would be worth paying?

Top Bottom