What's new

Vulfix Simpsons Shaving Brush

I would welcome opinions on Vulfix Simpsons Badger Shaving Brush. I have had one for a while but being happy with my other brushes I had left it in the pack. I have used it just four times and think the performance is inferior to a cheap chinese brush and even a 30 year old bristle brush. The brush is stored on a brush stand, handle uppermost, after a gentle squeeze dry.

The head is losing its hair, and is really spreading out, performance is ok but not that great. Am I expecting too much?

20200416_164950.jpg
20200416_164950.jpg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have tried many Simpson brushes which are generally excellent but never a Vulfix although I believe they are now made in the same factory on the Isle of Man by the same workforce. Vulfix have a reputation for being significantly lower in density than Simpson and also for having a comparatively high loft to knot ratio thus making them relatively floppy. The image above appears to bear that out. I believe they perform similarly to a Kent brush and are highly regarded by those that own them. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Thats fine Eclipse, thank you for the contribution.

I am beginning to think that my expectations were too high.

The photo is not clear as to what badger quality your brush is.

Maybe this would be helpful.

The spread is normal blooming. I would expect that
Hair loss in the first few shaves is also to be expected but should stop soonish.

3-band badger brushes do typically have softer hair and splay more than bristle brushes. They require a lighter touch to keep from going flat. It's something you have to get used to if you're adjusted to lower cost brushes.

Thanks for the link ukobke, the experience of others is comparable to my own and I am coming to the conclusion of it is what it is. The brush just feels a bit floppy and loose and I had expected something really good when compared to my very old bristle brush or a cheap chinese import.

I thought that there was something wrong with the brush and to give the manufacturer their due credit they have offered to look at the pen if I send it to them, but now I think there isnt anything wrong with the brush, it is as good as it can be.

The spread is normal blooming. I would expect that
Hair loss in the first few shaves is also to be expected but should stop soonish.

3-band badger brushes do typically have softer hair and splay more than bristle brushes. They require a lighter touch to keep from going flat. It's something you have to get used to if you're adjusted to lower cost brushes.

Thank you, I will take that advice on board, I now think that the brush is ok for use, I had just expected something a bit better.

Thank you, I will take that advice on board, I now think that the brush is ok for use, I had just expected something a bit better.

The next time you order a badger brush, look for a 2-band. They offer the kind of backbone that a lot of guys like while still providing soft tips.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I just got my Vulfix 660S and have one shave on it.

Mine is listed as Super Badger.

Even soaking and palm lathering with Dawn dish washing soap, there was still some residual 'badger funk'.

The brush is not as dense as my Simpson Badgers but it's still very usable. So far, no out of the ordinary hair loss.

I loaded Haslinger Schafmilch and face lathered. Had plenty of soap for three passes plus touch-ups.

Splays readily. Low side of medium backbone. Some (not much) 'scritch'.

Doubt that it will make it into my Top Tier of brushes but it is a competent and fun little brush for not a lot of money.

I'll definitely use it again, at some point. :)

YMMV :)

The next time you order a badger brush, look for a 2-band. They offer the kind of backbone that a lot of guys like while still providing soft tips.

Thank you, I didnt know it but I must be one of those guys that likes a bit of a backbone to the brush. To be honest, this experience is moving any future purchase towards a synthetic, not that keen on the Chinese badger farming practices at the best of times.

I just got my Vulfix 660S and have one shave on it.

Mine is listed as Super Badger.

Even soaking and palm lathering with Dawn dish washing soap, there was still some residual 'badger funk'.

The brush is not as dense as my Simpson Badgers but it's still very usable. So far, no out of the ordinary hair loss.

I loaded Haslinger Schafmilch and face lathered. Had plenty of soap for three passes plus touch-ups.

Splays readily. Low side of medium backbone. Some (not much) 'scritch'.

Doubt that it will make it into my Top Tier of brushes but it is a competent and fun little brush for not a lot of money.

I'll definitely use it again, at some point. :)

YMMV :)

MM doesnt vary that much

I agree on the density, it just feels a little loose for me, a bit floppy, I am used to brushes with a bit more substance that doesnt splay too much and also I cannot see me using it, I have my old bristle brush lined up for the morning.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
MM doesnt vary that much

I agree on the density, it just feels a little loose for me, a bit floppy, I am used to brushes with a bit more substance that doesnt splay too much and also I cannot see me using it, I have my old bristle brush lined up for the morning.

Love my @Graydog Full Moon synthetic and my Omega Jade Pure Bristle brushes. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
FA2300B5-0FC0-4A70-A61D-E5FE5C3661F5.jpeg082FA8B0-BEC4-4DF1-8A4F-9BF7C1D6A544.jpeg
I have been using this Progress Vulfix Mixed Badger and Boar Brush for a few weeks now. I bought it used off the bay here in Australia. I paid the princely sum of $5.50 plus $8.95 for postage. I was not sure what to expect but I have been very impressed by the brush. It has probably shed about a dozen hairs if that since I have owned it. I use it in conjunction with an Omega 10777 which is another brush that I enjoy using. I would definitely buy another Vulfix brush as I have enjoyed this Brush very much. As always YMMV.

The head of yours looks quite diffrent to mine which is splayed out and really soft, your looks to be much better.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who prefer a soft and floppy brush for shaving, I am just not one of them, I have now tried it with a soap puck, a cream and even a gel, just doesn't do it for me. It is as if the brush is just much too soft.

I have tried to make it useable in having a brush that doesnt splay out in use and has some backbone to it, I am going to try some elasticated cord around the brush and see if the performance improves at all rather than throw the brush away. You will see that the splay on the brush is pretty much now in line with the brush of Ajkel.

P1020970.JPG

I think the real problem in buying brushes is that you are buying blind, you cannot test them before purchase, for example when I bought this brush I couldnt even take it out of the packaging and if you don't like the brush you cannot return it.

If it wasn't for sites such as B and B then there would be no point of reference at all.

I am kicking myself because I assume, and I have done this before, that just because something is newer, more expensive and looks smart from a well known brand that it will be better for me than an older, cheaper and less smart product that I already own.

Last edited:
The head of yours looks quite diffrent to mine which is splayed out and really soft, your looks to be much better.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out there who prefer a soft and floppy brush for shaving, I am just not one of them, I have now tried it with a soap puck, a cream and even a gel, just doesn't do it for me. It is as if the brush is just much too soft.

I have tried to make it useable in having a brush that doesnt splay out in use and has some backbone to it, I am going to try some elasticated cord around the brush and see if the performance improves at all rather than throw the brush away. You will see that the splay on the brush is pretty much now in line with the brush of Ajkel.

View attachment 1087897

I have just taken a closer look at Ajkels brush and I see that it is Bristle and Badger, mine is Pure Badger. I am no expert but perhaps the bristle is helping the brush stay in shape and stops the flop.

In regards to Vulfix Super, it is a letdown. I really have no other words to state it, and really you should expect more. I rarely am that brutal in regards to a brush, but it truly could be better. While it is functional, I feel the density is too low, and the hair is typically a bit too prickly. I can think of plenty of other name brands that would be better. All is not lost on the Vulfix brand, however. If you go to their Silvertip grade, it is quite excellent, and has better density and softness and is quite excellent. In regards to the bristle and badger brush, indeed a boar/badger mix brush will have better density thanks to the backbone of boar. If you want to experience an excellent boar/badger mix, look towards Semogue. The product is immensely better.

@kooshman7

Thank you for the advice. I originally thought that I may be expecting too much or that there was something wrong with my particular brush, from the experience of others it looks to be a common problem that they are a bit of a letdown and once I feel let down by a brand the entire range has a big questionmark against them.

I will take a look at Semogue, cheers.

Top Bottom