What's new

Vulfix Old Original #41

Greetings Gents,
Here's another member of the Al Blaireau Brigade,
full
Vulfix' #41 after four passes with Taylor's of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Shaving Cream. A really good friend at shave time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron,

Does the Vulfix 41 work well with hard soaps, or do you prefer to use it only with creams? That's a lot of lather remaining after four passes. How did you prepare the lather?

Hal

halwilson said:
Ron,

Does the Vulfix 41 work well with hard soaps, or do you prefer to use it only with creams? That's a lot of lather remaining after four passes. How did you prepare the lather?

Hal
Hi Hal,
A double bagger to answer, nope a triple...
1. Does the Vulfix 41 work well with hard soaps?
Yes, it is an issue of process. AAMOF, it provides a really good platform because of its wealth of hair. After shaving with creams all week it's almost difficult to remember. Ah, I have this thing about soaking the brush in very hot water. No, it probably isn't the 190 degree stuff that many firms use to sterilize, but it is up there. I don't go flicking about to rid the brush of the most important ingredient in a lather, water, either. I just let the brush dribble till it stops, and then start to slowly swirl the soap with the lovely hot, wet brush. A good bit of (hot) water leaves the brush to only settle atop the soap, softening and solvating the surface as the short tonne (ton if using non British soaps) of badger hair begins to do its magic.
2. Nope, as a matter of record, I usually use soaps and would hate to miss using my Vulfix Old Original #41 (my first big brush).
3. Preparing a cream-originated lather starts off just like the soap, soaking the brush, but depending on the cream I will either do a light dip and half twist of the brush in the cream, or will extract a nurdle (pea to almond sized) glob of cream with index finger. This goes into my ever-faithful Noritake Yardley cereal bowl and gets whipped into a lather of oblivion. :drool:
Btw, old ever-faithful is used with the soap too. After I get what appears to be an adequate load of soap (answer 1), I whip it up in the bowl. I usually hold the soap bowl over
old ever-faithful while doing the loading in answer 1 to capture that hot soapy mix that runs off the top.
Hope that helps. By the way, there is a Savile Row that appears to be a Vulfix Old Original #41 clone, should you decide to shop around, etc.
Note of caution: Do not dip a #41 in kim chee! The hair is difficult to chew! :biggrin:

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your very helpful tips. They're much appreciated as I'm now just learning to master my lathering technique. Currently, I've got the smaller Vulfix 377, a Kent T-12, Kent BK-4, a nice look'n SMF brush, an ever increasing number of English soaps and creams along with about 20 st8s in my current rotation. Experimenting with all these various shaving accoutrements is terrific fun. My face looks and feels better too. Always enjoy reading your posts.

Hal

halwilson said:
Hi Ron,

Thanks for your very helpful tips. They're much appreciated as I'm now just learning to master my lathering technique. Currently, I've got the smaller Vulfix 377, a Kent T-12, Kent BK-4, a nice look'n SMF brush, an ever increasing number of English soaps and creams along with about 20 st8s in my current rotation. Experimenting with all these various shaving accoutrements is terrific fun. My face looks and feels better too. Always enjoy reading your posts.

Hal
Well THANK YOU HAL! Flattery will get you ANYWHERE in my book! :blushing:
SWMBO had made that same comment about my facial complexion improving since I started taking wet shaving seriously again. I noticed it, but thought it was merely the result of self-suggestion. Actually, I look forward to getting up in the morning and enjoying the SOTD, now how's that for advanced dementia? :w00t:

Top Bottom