What's new

Vulfix brushes?

Any good Vulfix brushes out there or is this a brand that seasoned folks steer clear of? I've heard comments about floppiness, shedding, etc. Thought maybe to give them a try but really have no starting point.

Any good Vulfix brushes out there or is this a brand that seasoned folks steer clear of? I've heard comments about floppiness, shedding, etc. Thought maybe to give them a try but really have no starting point.
Vulfix are quality brushes. I did have one in pure badger that was floppy and scratchy though and I've only owned two (the other a mixed badger/boar Grosvenor).

Thanks for your comment. Wonder where they're made? Not a lot of online presence. I got this from WCS:
"Vulfix is the oldest shaving brush company around and has been manufacturing brushes for over half a century. Located in England..."

Thanks for your comment. Wonder where they're made? Not a lot of online presence. I got this from WCS:
"Vulfix is the oldest shaving brush company around and has been manufacturing brushes for over half a century. Located in England..."
They're made in The Isle of Man and they are the parent company to Simpson, whom they bought out in 2009.

Last edited:
I’ve had. vulfix 374 for many years, it is a floppy brush, but still works extremely well with my soaps. I use it quite a bit . Feels very good on my face also.

I've got a couple nice vintage Vulfix with rather dense knots. One is my go to for a quick shave as it whips up a quick, thick lather.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've had good luck with Vulfix, may have been my first badger brush. Still have a few, one is a wee bit floppy but likely only because it lacks a bit of density. It is a pure badger that to me isn't scritchy, the Mayfair ... pic below.
full

The London series (Mayfair, Strand, Piccadilly, Grosvenor, Hyde Park, Burlington) has nicely turned handles, I really like my Grosvenor and it's fairly dense with pure badger hair that rivals some of Simpson's "best" hair. I didn't care for their mixed hair Grosvenor (quickly sold it) but then I'm spoiled by Semogue Mistura brushes.

I had one of the H1 brushes in pure and liked it.

Great prices from Diamond Edge in the UK www.diamondedgeltd.com

My first badger brush was a Vulfix 1016 pure. For a few years it received daily use and is still going strong now, though used much less often now as my collection has expanded. It's quite a scritchy brush.

I also have a 2234 silvertip with tortoiseshell handle. This is a beautifully soft feeling brush ideal for face lathering, though it can be a bit of a lather hog.

I agree that, compared to some, Vulfix don't have a great deal of backbone due to the lowish density of hair packed in to the handle. But if that's not a requirement for you then I would definitely try one out.

It’s inexpensive because there are few hairs, no backbone. Not recommended, even an inexpensive Simpson will be much better. The new synthetic Simpsons are excellent AND inexpensive. Synthetic is the way to go now, for ethical if for no other reason.
I still think badger is as good as it gets. Synthetics simply don't appeal to me and don't look anywhere as nice as actual badger hair brushes which are the traditional way of lathering.

I have a Vulfix Mayfair in pure badger, (purchased NOS, made pre- 2007 ish). I love it! Perfect size for me, plenty dense, not too floppy or too scritchy. It works like a champ. I might have lost 1 hair.

I have 5 brushes total: 2 badger (Vulfix Mayfair, Simpson Special); 1 boar; and 2 synthetic. The Vulfix gets the most use.

I didn't have good experiences with the 223x series in Super. I had all of them. I hear people throw the term mop around with a lot of brushes. That's the only ones I would say yes they were mops to. If you go for the Vulfix 40 or 41 in Super they are both good quality, and sometimes you can find a place selling them for an even better discount. Haven't seen any lately. Not density monsters mind you, but they work so well at generating lather because they aren't packed to the gills. Makes a Chubby look like a snail with a 41 next to it. A plus for the 41 is it is larger than the Chubby 3 even if you find a Chubby 3 too small. A bit taller as a result as well. For my current tastes of brushes I reach for, I really like that added girth.

Unfortunately you can't find the Vulfix Silvertips for sale any longer. The only site I knew that sold them was The Superior Shave. Those are quite nice, and more densely packed. I have a Vulfix 41 in Super and Silvertip and the only difference is that the Silvertip is packed with more hair. A better sorted silvertip as well actually. Might find a used one for sale somewhere, maybe even NOS. Could always try contacting Vulfix and seeing if they would do it and the cost.

Top Bottom