What's new

Vulfix Brushes

I have a 2006 in pure badger. It works great for puck loading / face lathering (especially with very hard soaps).
I, too, like like that the Vulfix is not as dense as some others on the market.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
36DF09B2-2390-4BAC-B4AF-591577F8B421.jpeg

This is the only Vulfix brush that I own. It is a Vulfix mixed Badger and Boar brush that I bought second hand off eBay. Postage cost more than the brush. It is a pretty good brush and I use it around twice a week. I quite like it.

Vulfix brushes are fun; I very much enjoy the ones I have. Vulfix brushes are reminiscent of the old style less dense shaving brush and I enjoy the nostalgia. They have great hair, maybe a tad floppy to some, with lovely handles, and feel luxurious to me. Perhaps, I'll dig one out to try later this morning :001_smile .

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have tried many brushes but Vulfix is my favorite.
Any other Vulfix fans?
I have one quite expensive Vulfix - rather huge actually. It sheds and I found I really don’t like badger hair. Too prickly. Much prefer my Omega Pro boar (about $100 cheaper too).

My first badger brush was a Vulfix, a 1016 pure badger, which I still have and use occasionally.
I also have a 2234 Silvertip with faux horn handle.
Both are great for face lathering - the 2234 is beautifully soft feeling (though can be a bit of a lather hog) while the 1016 is more scritchy

I have a Vulfix 1000 Pure Badger. It’s my travel brush. It was my second brush (I like slightly larger brushes). Still love it. Face lather with it on the road.
Its seen both coasts, the Rockies and the Caribbean.

I have a Vulfix 2006 Pure and I don't really like it. Too floppy and too prickly. I think it was $20-ish though, so it isn’t one of their more expensive brushes.

I much prefer my Simpsons including my Beaufort 6 and Special in Pure

I bought one several years ago and don’t remember the model, but I love the handle I made the mistake of buying pure badger and I don’t care for it. It is thoroughly broken in and still prickly.

I had 2 Vulfix's and didn't really like either of them, one was a super badger that was much too floppy to be effective with soaps and the other was a badger/boar mix that was ok but not as good as other mixed knots. The Grosvenor handle that that mixed knot was in was great though!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like mine, I've still got three of five. I sold my Grosvenor mixed hair but liked the handle so much I bought a Grosvenor pure badger ... now my favorite. The pure hair in the London Series can be great but certainly isn't as dense as Simpson -- which can be a good thing.

Yeah, I'm a fan.

I had one of those once, I think they are black badger, at least mine was. Floppy, you're right.
Yup, that’s the one. Pretty awful brush. I have about 20 Simpsons (owned by Vulfix) and I don’t expect my one Vulfix experience is reflective of the rest of their lineup.

I much prefer my Simpsons including my Beaufort 6 and Special in Pure
If you like Simpson brushes there’s a couple brushes available that are a collaboration between Simpson and Vulfix. One’s a synthetic and the other is a badger. They go under the name Simfix. I haven’t tried either one so I can’t say how good they are

Vulfix brushes are fun; I very much enjoy the ones I have. Vulfix brushes are reminiscent of the old style less dense shaving brush and I enjoy the nostalgia. They have great hair, maybe a tad floppy to some, with lovely handles, and feel luxurious to me. Perhaps, I'll dig one out to try later this morning :001_smile .

About 15 years ago, I bought two Taylors of Old Bond St. branded Vulfix brushes because I enjoyed their luxurious softness.
They turned out to be quite finicky, shed more hairs than a molting budgie, and soon ended in the bottom drawer.

Years later, I read Simpson (now owned by Vulfix) brush care instructions to only use painting strokes and gave these brushes (after a thorough combing out) another try using only the Simpson suggested painting strokes.
Since then they behave much better and hardly shed a hair, but my affection with this kind of luxurious (meaning borderline floppy) brushes has long waned.

B.

I have a couple, the one I like the most but cant reach for these days due to a small den is an old blonde boar. I picked it up for around £4, and its never lost a hair or played up in any manner. Also have the Grosvenor mixed which imho os the best priced mixed knot brush out there.

I bought a Vulfix 2234 Super a few years ago for what seemed like a small fortune. I genuinely enjoyed it while it lasted, but eventually the knot wore out and I moved on to a silvertip from another company. It finally struck me a month or so ago that I could reknot the Vulfix. I got a synthetic knot from Maggard, chucked the handle in my lathe and bored it out a bit, et voila I now have a hybrid brush.

Of course, while I was getting organized to get that project underway I managed to score a new Simpson Trafalgar T3 synthetic, which is hands-down my favorite brush so far. But if I manage to outlive it, my restored Vulfix is waiting in the wings with a remarkably similar knot.

I actually got 2 different knots from Maggard, and when my silvertip gives up the ghost, off to the workshop it'll go to get the other knot.

Top Bottom