What's new

Vulfix 660 from Lee's Safety Razor - any thoughts?

I just wondering if anyone has tried the new brush that Lee and the fine folks at Vulfix had produced. It is supposed to be a brush designed specifically for use with hard soaps. The price on these is great! I'd like to hear if anyone has used one and how it compares to other brushes they might have. When/if I get one, I'll post a thorough review.

I have two Vulfix brushes that are in my regular rotation and I like both of them. These soap brushes look nice as well, especially in the Super...I prefer a softer brush, so the Pure might be a bit too scrubby for me.

My question though is that the dimensions for the medium and large, in Super, look to be reversed. He shows the medium with a 26mm knot, and the large with a 20mm knot? :confused:The height dimensions don't look necessarily proportionate either. Maybe someone else could look at these and clarify, but it just doesn't look correct to me. :confused:

At these prices, I would definitely be interested in one of these Soap brushes. The 20mm knot sounds like a good size for soaps. Just my two cents worth, FWIW! :wink:

I have not yet purchased one. I'm sort of waiting to see a review. Though I might just get one soon and give it a thorough review. I'm considering the Medium sized in pure. Would love to hear what other who have this brush think.

To be honest, count me a skeptic, at least as to the Super. My experience with Vulfix Super Badger does not indicate it being ideal as a soap brush. To the contrary, I consider it the most backbone challenged of all the bristles I've come across.... Combine that with what looks to be a pretty high loft on a small knot, and I dunno.

I asked Lee about the difference between the 660 pure small or super small and he answered me back saying that they both bloom the same and that the pure is definitely more scratchier. He also said that the pure is the best choice for only soaps and that's the one he uses.

Picked up the small 660 Super. It's not the most luxurious brush given the molded handle material, but for the price and performance it's one heck of a deal. The small has just the right backbone and worked well on the soap and face lathering. I'll probably pick up the medium in the near future as well.

I posted a full review of it but that's on another forum and I don't want to be out of line by posting a link here. Feel free to PM me if you would like to see that.

Picked up the small 660 Super. It's not the most luxurious brush given the molded handle material, but for the price and performance it's one heck of a deal. The small has just the right backbone and worked well on the soap and face lathering. I'll probably pick up the medium in the near future as well.

I posted a full review of it but that's on another forum and I don't want to be out of line by posting a link here. Feel free to PM me if you would like to see that.

Hi Mike,

I read the review yesterday and I saw the pics too. It does seem to bloom a lot if I look at the picture taken or maybe it's the lens distortion. Knowing you're a simpson guy I'm impressed you bought the Vulfix! :biggrin:

I just ordered the medium 660 in pure. I'll be sure to post a thorough review ASAP after I have tried it out a few times.

While I have not used the new Vulfix brushes, and they are a step in the right direction, my view is that the loft is simply too high for them to be a dedicated soap brush.

However, I think they should be competent "all-rounder" brushes/well-priced first "good" brushes and its great to see a company producing quality brushes at this price point.

I have been trying to do my research, and after fooling around with a VDH boar brush, williams soap and proraso cream, I am hooked.

I spoke with Lee today about his Vulfix 660 but i am a bit confused about this brush. Everything i read says it is made for soaps but will work OK for creams. As a started, i dont know which way i will lean. Will i be upset if i start with this brush and decide i like creams over soaps?

Also, would one style (pure vs super) be better if i was not sure about the whole soap/cream decision?

Top Bottom