What's new

Vulfix 2233

I just ordered a Vulfix 2233 from Classic Shaving, any comments about the brush or what I should expect? This is my first badger brush, any thoughts on how I should care for or prepare it. I picked up a brush stand, but that's about all. Thanks.

My first Vulfix was the 2235. It was a little waterproof when I got it, and I should have immediately washed it with shampoo and conditioner. But with use it became more absorbent. It was softer in use than I expected, but not bad at all. It's not a stiffish brush, and I actually like a softer brush, so it and I get along fine. Works will with soap or cream, if you use proper lathering technique. I do use a lathering bowl, which helps. I think you'll like it.

I have a Vulfix 2234. You will find the handle to be a nice size and shape and the badger hair to be long, soft, and not particularly dense. You should not have to do anything to it special when you receive it, but if it looks like water is beading on the hairs, you may want to give it a shampoo once or twice and a good rinse. Classicshaving also sells brush cleaner in small packets, but I have never tried it (I think it is mostly Borax).

The brush is a bit floppy and soft when wet and holds a good amount of water. It will lather creams just fine and will do some soaps better than others but likely will be a little tougher to lather than with the creams. It will feel very soft and nice on the face. After you use it for a while, you will then want to buy a Simpson or Shavemac... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dennis

I received my Vulfix 2233 today and I just shaved with it tonight. I washed it with shampoo and condition earlier today and let it dry out until this evening. I should also say this is my first badger brush, I had been used a cheap boar brush, that actually felt like nylon so that may be what it was. (I had bought it years ago in a brief flirtation with classic wetshaving but failed to learn any real information and subsequently never really developed an appreciation or I would probably be a lot further along by now.) In descriptions I had read brushes being described as floppy and that never really made sense, until now. The brush is very soft and pleasant but does really flop around on the face. But it did whip the heck out of the Nancy Boy cream when I put it in the bowl. I've never seen so much lather.

Also I'd like to have a second brush, a larger one, I also wanted this little Vulfix as a travel brush as well. I had been looking at the XL Shavemac and the XXL Shavemac, but I have no idea about how they differ from handle to handle. Or another brush in that price range. Would those brushes be as floppy as well?

Shavemac? Floppy? No. It would feel about equally soft and smooth on the face, but with more resistence, if that makes sense. It will more tend to keep its shape in use. Not sure what you mean by differences from handle to handle? The only difference is diameter of the knot. Unlike say Simpsons brushes, the Shavemac handles are just that - they do not come with knots also haviing different characteristics. that sounds so unclear, let me put it another way - and 28mm shavemac will have a knot exactly like any other 28mm shavemac, except for different hair grades.

moses said:
Shavemac? Floppy? No. It would feel about equally soft and smooth on the face, but with more resistence, if that makes sense. It will more tend to keep its shape in use. Not sure what you mean by differences from handle to handle? The only difference is diameter of the knot. Unlike say Simpsons brushes, the Shavemac handles are just that - they do not come with knots also haviing different characteristics. that sounds so unclear, let me put it another way - and 28mm shavemac will have a knot exactly like any other 28mm shavemac, except for different hair grades.

I guess what I meant from handle to handle is on their website the XL Ivory Imitiation has a 28mm knot while the XXL has a 30mm, but XXL Horn imitation has a 28mm. And the XL is in relation to the quality of hair not the size of the brush (same as XXL or L)?

So also, Simpson brushes have different knots, other than the size diameter? Sorry if these are really stupid questions.

Oh no. Not that silly.

But the Shavmac L, XL, and XXL are just what they look like, sizes. However, they are more size groupings than specific sizes. Each one has a rangle of a few mm. There are only three hair grades that he has: Pure, Finest, and Silvertip. (Of course, the lower two come in hand made or machine cut, but you don't want to go there, stick with hand).

As for Simpsons, I have not tried enough to really know for sure, but I am pretty certain the answer is yes. For example, a Chubby 1 or Duke 3 are apparently pretty much the same. But they would be shorter bristled, and therefore stiffer and denser feeling, as compared to say a Emperor in the same diameter.

Top Bottom