What's new

Vulcanite stems

I tend to chomp down pretty aggressively on my pipe stems when clenching them, so acrylic stems seem to hold up best for me. I do have an old Stanwell 30 with a vulcanite stem, and recently bought a Savinelli Roma which is described as also being vulcanite.

The two stems are VERY different in hardness, appearance, and durability. The old Stanwell (30 years) is much softer, like a very hard rubber, and oxidizes and shows every bite mark, whereas the Savinelli stem in much harder and glossier, and seems more resistant to marking. It looks and feels more like acrylic.

Just different types/grades of vulcanite?

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Same thing has happened to me over the years. I basically hate vulcanite stems and the oxidation that happens with them. 99% of my pipes have them, though.

If I ever decide to buy a new pipe it will definitely have an acrylic stem.

I'm not a clincher/biter, so I am able to keep my acrylic stems pristine and new looking. It's a personal choice, but I don't/won't own any vulcanites. That's probably why I don't own any Peterson pipes--although they offer both, everything they have that I am interested in is vulcanite.

I gravitate to acrylic also, which is why I was surprised by the vulcanite on the Savinelli Roma. It is a very hard, glossy black stem. Nothing like the dull, soft vulcanite of my old Stanwell.

There is hard rubber and then there is hard rubber. Ebonite, vulcanite, Cumberland, all names for hard rubber and there are some differences. My experience (and I'm no expert) is the older hard rubber tends to oxidize more easily and feels softer. Some seems more dense. Acrylic seems more consistent, but that may be my imagination.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Get some rubber pipe bits, and never worry about it again!

Image1.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm a hard clencher, and have even distorted acrylic stems on occasion ... but much less so over the years as age set in.

I use rubber bites on all my pipes, and have done so for many years. Once you get used to them, they have a comfortable, almost luxurious, mouth feel. I feel naked puffing on one without one now. They are also good for folks with teeth issues. And, particularly on softer materials, you will not teeth-brand your stems.

One word of warning. Pick your bites carefully. A few years back, massive quantities of bites started showing up from China, made out of God-knows-what. Ebay is usually flooded with them ... and a number of less careful or vigilant tobacco shops, too. So unless the product specifically states Made in USA (or another safe manufacturing country), pass on them. If the vendor can't vouch for COO, pass on them. Two that are specifically made in the US and are high quality are Softy Bits and EA Carey. With the former, you may feel the logo, but that's a quibble. And I've found that the US made ones last a very long time. I've had some go as long as ten years, but quickly develop a tooth pattern ... almost a custom fit. Worth the slight extra money. YMMV.

As to vulcanite stems, they are easy to maintain with an occasional coat of wax or mineral oil, and keeping them out of sunlight, UV and oxygen cleaning machine environments. I slap coat of Paragon Wax on mine about once a year, and every so often wipe them down with a 'pipe rag' (just a soft white cotton kiddie sock impregnated with old wax) every so often. They don't oxidize.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I tend to chomp down pretty aggressively on my pipe stems when clenching them, so acrylic stems seem to hold up best for me. I do have an old Stanwell 30 with a vulcanite stem, and recently bought a Savinelli Roma which is described as also being vulcanite.

The two stems are VERY different in hardness, appearance, and durability. The old Stanwell (30 years) is much softer, like a very hard rubber, and oxidizes and shows every bite mark, whereas the Savinelli stem in much harder and glossier, and seems more resistant to marking. It looks and feels more like acrylic.

Just different types/grades of vulcanite?

Might be acrylic if there is that much of a difference. Since the Roma’s do have either rubber or plastic stems I guess it’s possible for them to get mixed up. I can tell vulcanite from acrylic by the feel between the teeth. You can also rub it vigorously with a cloth and then immediately smell it for that tell tale rubber smell.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I must have some of the sharpest teeth, and i am also a clencher. Wthout a doubt, the toughest ebonite i have are my Dunhill pipes. While they do show some wear, its nothing like custom makers. I have spoke with makers like Ryan Alden, and Chris Asteriou, who assure me what they are using is the best they can find, but the just get marked up to high heaven. I do use Softy bits on the nicer pipes, but im also experimenting with a stem from Tinsky, which im less than thrilled with. I want to see how long until my teeth make a hole in the stem.

Might be acrylic if there is that much of a difference. Since the Roma’s do have either rubber or plastic stems I guess it’s possible for them to get mixed up. I can tell vulcanite from acrylic by the feel between the teeth. You can also rub it vigorously with a cloth and then immediately smell it for that tell tale rubber smell.

That's good to know.

The descriptions at Smoking Pipes for all of the Savinelli Roma pipes say "vulcanite" but it sure looks acrylic to me. I think a trip to the Savinelli website is in order. I may send a quick email to Smoking Pipes to inquire about the stem material.

So I must have some of the sharpest teeth, and i am also a clencher. Wthout a doubt, the toughest ebonite i have are my Dunhill pipes. While they do show some wear, its nothing like custom makers. I have spoke with makers like Ryan Alden, and Chris Asteriou, who assure me what they are using is the best they can find, but the just get marked up to high heaven. I do use Softy bits on the nicer pipes, but im also experimenting with a stem from Tinsky, which im less than thrilled with. I want to see how long until my teeth make a hole in the stem.

Most of my pipes are acrylic and haven't been used enought to show clench marks...yet.

The only stems of mine that appear in danger of serious damage are the much flimsier stems on my cobs, and that is a $1.50 fix. I believe those are a much cheaper version of "acrylic" (plastic). Remind me of the old pen caps from Bic stick pens that I used to gnaw on in school.

I'm thinking of picking up a couple Forever Stems for my cobs.

And I will probably put a rubber tip on my Stanwell.

I went to the Savinelli site and the description for the Roma series says "ebonite" and the specs say "vulcanite"...on the same page. I thought that the two are very similar, but might there be a noticable difference in hardness and gloss between the two?

I went to the Savinelli site and the description for the Roma series says "ebonite" and the specs say "vulcanite"...on the same page. I thought that the two are very similar, but might there be a noticable difference in hardness and gloss between the two?
My understanding has always been that the terms "ebonite" and "vulcanite" are essentially interchangeable - leftover manufacturers' terms for hard rubber.

My understanding with the Savinelli Roma pipes is that they are rubber stemmed. For about $10-$15 more, they sell the Roma Lucite model, which is the same nice looking Roma with acrylic stems.

Where did you pick up the Roma from?

The first was a 128 from Smoking Pipes.

20221208_165443.jpg

I like it so much that I ordered another Roma (904KS) that should be here soon.

If the stem on the first (above) was the soft, dull-ish type like the old Stanwell, I would have ordered a different series for the 904, but it seems indistinguishable from acrylic.

Last edited:
My understanding with the Savinelli Roma pipes is that they are rubber stemmed. For about $10-$15 more, they sell the Roma Lucite model, which is the same nice looking Roma with acrylic stems.

I suppose I may have happened upon an acrylic version, but both Savinelli and Smoking Pipes describe the Roma as vulcanite or ebonite, which has me stumped.

Not a big deal, as I am very pleased that the Roma has a more durable, acrylic-like stem. I was just wondering if there was a vulcanite material that closely mimicked acrylic - possibly a different formulation that appeared over the past 30 years (since i bought the Stanwell).

Top Bottom