What's new

Vreto Shaving Soap

Very recently while perusing another shaving forum (this one based in the UK), there was a lot of activity in the Group Buy category. Seems that there was a second Vreto shaving soap group buy going on and when I asked a friend if this was worth all the attention, he GUARANTEED me that it was. Cost was about $6 for a full size puck, with shipping running between $6-9 depending on how much you buy. This was international shipping and it included the USA and so I bought two for a total cost of $22. I know the soap came from Serbia and from the label and packing, I am not sure if this is an artisan soap maker or a hobbyist.

The soaps arrived yesterday and I lathered the Cedar Sandalwood tonight. Opening the tub and sniffing the soap, there was a cedar smell that was a little on the spicy side, almost close to rosemary. Not knowing what to expect, I loaded more than usual. The soap was kind of hard and so I kept loading the brush and adding water. Finally when I tried face lathering, I found that I loaded way too much soap and this was real hard core rich stuff. I put the brush in my lather bowl and started creating lather in the bowl, adding water two or three times, and the lather continued to build.

Finally I was ready and I realized I had enough lather for six passes. I loaded my Barbasol clone (which came in the same mail delivery) with a blade with a couple of shaves left before tossing. I wanted to see how slick and cushioning the lather was. I had a totally smooth and close shave with no effort, and I did just two passes plus touch up, and the rest of the lather went down the drain (but I now know better).

I was told by folks that were familiar with the soap that you are not buying it for the scent, but for the performance. I guess this gave me very low expectations on the scent, however I found it to be much better. Once lathered, there was a distinct cedar scent to it, and the sandalwood scent came on strong after rinsing off and lasted a couple of hours after.

Overall, I got to say that this is the best shave soap I have encountered so far. Unfortunately, outside of the group buy, I am not sure where it is sold or how you can obtain some. Just remember the name in case you come across it.

DSC02124.JPG

Top Bottom