What's new

Vote: How many times do you use a double edged blade?

How many shaves do you use a double edged razor blade for?

• Total voters
With Silver Stars I can count on 5-6 good shaves; I could probably get 8 most of the time if pushed it, but 5-6 is the sweet spot. My previous go-to blade was Shark SS, which I would consistently bin after 3 shaves.

I formerly tried to get as many shaves as possible out of a DE blade. Now I try to stop after a ‘week’s worth’ of shaves, when I also rotate to a different DE razor.

SE, injector, shavette, and SR shaves break the link to the calendar week. So about 5 or 6 shaves per DE blade, fewer for Feathers.

Feather blades can go for between 8-10 shaves
Astra SP & SS blades can go for between 6-8 shaves
All other blades (more than 50 types) between 3-5 shaves

Astra SP: 5 shaves, sometimes 4, per blade

Personna US barber/labs: 7+ per blade.
Gillette Silver Blue: 6 or so
Israeli Personna: 7+
Czech Tiger carbon steel blued: 3
Treet DuraSharp coated carbon steel: 4
Feather: 2 super sharp shaves, then 5 same as other blades
Derby Extra: 1
Merkur: 0 😁
Wilkinson Sword German: 5+

Do you have any blade life prolonging tips? Which blade do you use most. Tell us in the comments

My default has been to change blade every 7 days, just because it is a weekly routine, but good blades are not obviously burned out by then, and bad blades woudn't make it that far.

I experimented with Astra SP in February, seeing exactly how far I could push it, and I got to shave #14 without significant deterioration, but its performance fell to bits somewhere around shaves #19 .. 21.

Assuming it was a typical blade, 2 weeks (per Astra SP) would be entirely do-able for me, apart from the creeping in of first-world boredom factor, and wanting to try something else.

Using very thorough hydration and a pre-shave oil are things I do to get a better shave, but it seems to me that they must also make the job a lot easier for the blade.

Bic chrome platinums 8+ usually toss around here just because it seems absurd to try for more, but I bet I could go to 12-15

parker premium platinums 5-6

nearly everything else 3ish 2 pass shaves.

It depends on the blade, but usually 3 to 5 shaves. The most shaves I'll do is 7 if the blade is exceptional. However, blades are cheap enough that I don't feel the need to use them longer if they're no longer sharp enough.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So what is everybody's criteria for replacing blades, other than time? For me, I replace a blade when I feel resistance on the ATG pass and/or upon seeing tugging or nicks.

Blade longevity is one of my criteria for rating blades. :clap: :clap: :clap:

My top-tier blades are usually good for 7+ comfortable shaves. Some blades, for example Personna labs, need a shave or three to reach their stride. In contrast, bottom-tier blades are only good for 2-3 or less.

Four. No more no less.
Well that’s not true but is sounds cool. Shave number two on almost any blade is the best. Kai and Feather just degrade starting at one. Everything else seem to peak at two then taper off depending on the specific one. I come to enjoy blades much more than I had ever expected. They all have different personalities and I have many “favorites”. The only “type” I have no experience with are Personna. I don’t wanna get involved with the Personna crowd. They’re crazy. You know you guys are. Oh wait I do have one Personna branded blade, Eddison. I’ll hold off from commenting so that I don’t get pulled into the “Personna parade”.

Four. No more no less.
Well that’s not true but is sounds cool. Shave number two on almost any blade is the best. Kai and Feather just degrade starting at one. Everything else seem to peak at two then taper off depending on the specific one. I come to enjoy blades much more than I had ever expected. They all have different personalities and I have many “favorites”. The only “type” I have no experience with are Personna. I don’t wanna get involved with the Personna crowd. They’re crazy. You know you guys are. Oh wait I do have one Personna branded blade, Eddison. I’ll hold off from commenting so that I don’t get pulled into the “Personna parade”.
The Personna crowd are rapidly becoming the new Polsilver crowd.

Top Bottom