What's new

Vote for your favourite shaving brush material

What is you favourite shaving brush material.

• Total voters
Synthetic for me. I've tried quality badger brushes and synthetic beats them every time for making a rich lather in short time. But this type of poll has been done at least twice by me plus others and badger always wins.

Boar. I like more backbone than badger delivers, and less stench than horse provides. Synthetics aren't shaving brushes-Change my mind. I jest...

Badger all the way. I occasionally will use a boar or synthetic and once in a blue moon my only horse hair brush, but out of the last 14 shaves, I used a synthetic once, the rest were badgers.

I casted my vote for boar hair. Believe me it wasn't an easy choice because I also really like synthetic. My only experience with boar is muh Semogue 830 but I really enjoy using that brush for the face feel. It's soft and scrubby at the same time and painting motions feel superb. It's only weakness is restaining lather but as time goes by and some tweaks in soaking, loading and lathering techniques it's starting to retain lather much better.

As for badger my only experience is a Parker pure badger. I only use it for bowl lathering because face lathering feels like it has tiny needles poking my face. It does produce tons of lather effortlessly from soap or cream. Which makes me wonder what a high end silvertip performs. So I'm open to change my mind in the future. As of right now boar is the winner for me because $150+ on a shaving brush is to much for me right now.

I casted my vote for boar hair. Believe me it wasn't an easy choice because I also really like synthetic. My only experience with boar is muh Semogue 830 but I really enjoy using that brush for the face feel. It's soft and scrubby at the same time and painting motions feel superb. It's only weakness is restaining lather but as time goes by and some tweaks in soaking, loading and lathering techniques it's starting to retain lather much better.

As for badger my only experience is a Parker pure badger. I only use it for bowl lathering because face lathering feels like it has tiny needles poking my face. It does produce tons of lather effortlessly from soap or cream. Which makes me wonder what a high end silvertip performs. So I'm open to change my mind in the future. As of right now boar is the winner for me because $150+ on a shaving brush is to much for me right now.
You can vote for multiples if you can’t choose. I know what you mean with the needles. Prickly badgers are not for me. I had one and it never softened up. Once a prickler always a prickler. The silvertips are a whole nother ball game. Soft and springy.

I ended up voting for both badger and boar, since that's really where I am with brushes, somewhere between the two. I like me some backbone and scrub, so boars are a clear winner in both departments, while badgers in general have a hard time being scrubby without being scritchy or prickly. But there's something about Simpson's -- particularly Simpson's Best -- that keeps me coming back to badgers (Simpson's Best is so wonderfully scrubby while also being soft!), and I've got a faithful TGN Finest extra-stuffed in a vintage Ever-Ready handle that's one of my favorite brushes of all time. I've never cared for pillowy-soft silvertips, though, and synthetics are generally way too soft,

I have more badger brushes than any other material. The second would be synthetic and third boar. I have also tried horse hair - but could not get used to it. The reason I like badger is that I get the best lather and feel from a badger brush. In fact, I have never had a bad badger brush. On the other hand, synthetics, are OK but for me, they don't stand up to badger. I have tried synthetics from Parker, H.I.S., Muhle, Shavemac, AP Shaving, Maggards, Duro, and Yaqi among others. They may be fine and good for travel - but are just no match from my badger brushes. The knots used by Paladin, Rudy Vey, Shavemac, and Simpson, for me, will beat any synthetic. As of boars, they are OK, too. I prefer them to synthetics. However, I prefer larger knot brushes and most boars don't fit into that category. The only one that is large, the SOC, again can't hold up to a quality badger brush.

My vote is for Badger. Nothing compares for me and synthetic is like shaving with a nylon paint brush. Doesn't hold much paint or any water when it comes to shaving brushes.

You can vote for multiples if you can’t choose. I know what you mean with the needles. Prickly badgers are not for me. I had one and it never softened up. Once a prickler always a prickler. The silvertips are a whole nother ball game. Soft and springy.
Cool I guess it's Synthetic and Boar for me. If I come up on some serious cash and get me a high end badger my opinion might change.

Top Bottom