What's new

Voskhod- What are they comparable to?

I have a couple of Voskhods coming to me from the blade exchange and really looking forward to trying them I'm pretty much a 7 o'clock yellow blade user and gsb's are my favorite so far so hopefully these blades can fall somewhere between the two

Tried my first Voskhod the other day, found the first shave smooth, albeit a bit tuggy, the second shave was even more tuggy and rough. So I guess I can't get more than one good shave out of them. Using them in my FaTip Grande, btw.

I'll resurrect the thread rather than making a new one. I tried a Voskhod on my last shave. It was tuggy and rough on the first pass, but a lot better on the second pass. The ATG pass was downright mild and smooth, and I wound up with far fewer weepers than the Feather I had in there before. Is this a normal thing for new Voskhods, or did I just try a blade with too much coating left on the edge?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'll resurrect the thread rather than making a new one. I tried a Voskhod on my last shave. It was tuggy and rough on the first pass, but a lot better on the second pass. The ATG pass was downright mild and smooth, and I wound up with far fewer weepers than the Feather I had in there before. Is this a normal thing for new Voskhods, or did I just try a blade with too much coating left on the edge?

Ihave had similar experiences. I bought a 100 pack I like them so much.

No your experience is about right. The first shave on the Volkshod is usually a little rougher. Its the second shave and on where they settle down and you get to see the smoothness everyone talks about. I don;t know what causes it for sure. I always thought it might be to much coating at first.
They are not the longest lived but they are smoooooooth puppies from say shave 2 to 5. Your mileage may vary.

I don't exactly know of any blade to compare them to as not many advertise a Teflon only coating. They are kinda in a league of their own. Derby Extras have a little of every coating according to their package but they are not even in the same ballpark in smoothness or quality wise IMHO.

Last edited:
My Voskhods arrived in the mail today. I knew this would happen. I just put in a new 7oc Yellow blade that I've only used once into my razor. I'll have to hold out trying these new blades until after the 7oc Yellow is finished. I'm hoping these new blades will shave like my Personna blades. I was able to get 8 shaves out of my latest Personna before needing to change.

I'm realizing that prep work and technique have more to do with my probability of having a good shave. Having said that I hope the Voskhods live up to the feedback I've seen here. I'm more than happy to give them a try. The price was right!

I'm realizing that prep work and technique have more to do with my probability of having a good shave. Having said that I hope the Voskhods live up to the feedback I've seen here. I'm more than happy to give them a try. The price was right!

Yep, clean, warm, well soaked whiskers and a great rich lather is half the battle won. I think you'll like the "Voshies"...they are a top 3 blade for me and I get a very consistent and comfortable shave in my razors from them.

Last edited:
I've had one shave with them and I must say I'm impressed. They didn't feel that different from some other blades I use while I was shaving but after the shave I felt my skin. Wow, what a smooth shave. I think these blades are keepers which is fortunate because I took a chance and ordered 200. Thanks to all the forum participants that recommended them. It was a nice find I may have never come across myself. As a bonus, it was fun seeing the confused look on my wife's face when I received a package from Russia. That moment alone was worth the cost of these blades. :001_smile

Everyone is saying that they are sharper than astra sp which is odd to me. I did get less irritation with voskhod at first, but they seemed less sharp resulting in extra passes and cleanup that I don't have to do with astra. This left me nearly as irritated to get the same closeness of shave. Using the same techniques, voskhod seems to leave alot more stubble on my neck than astra, and cleaning that up makes for some irritation that astra gives me naturally. This is why I figured voskhod blades weren't as sharp, they don't take as much stubble off.

Waiting to try some GSB, hopefully they have that sweet spot between these 2.

Voshkod blades are my go to daily shaver. I bought 500 when I had the chance.

Where are they being sold these days?

Too dull for my taste

I think that is a key factor for me. I've been on a run with the Vossy's lately and have used them for my last 6 or 7 shaves with a fat boy and a Futur. Key observations are...

- they don't shave as close as other blades. I have stubble after 8 hours as opposed to 16 with a Kai.

- smooth as heck until the Teflon wears off. 2 shaves max before the tugging starts thigh I'm gonna push it this time around.

- Smooth as a heck but I think, for my face, the Kais and PolSilvers are almost as smooth and I'm able to get a much much closer shave and they last 3 times as long. I find I have to go over the same spot multiple times ATG to match the performance of other blades.

Don't get me wrong. I like the a lot and bought a Hun but if I want really close shave I'll use something else.

I would compare them to Astra but more comfortable with a shorter life.

I have been interested in trying Voskhod blades due to the great reviews I have read about them on this forum. There seems to be a lot of people who really sing their praises. What I'm interested in is this- Currently, I use Bolzanos, Perma Sharps, Feathers-which seem to disagree with me now as compared to some years back. These are my primary 3 blades I have @ least 50 each of. I also love Timor's and am looking to check out Personna Med Preps. Back to the Voskhods. really wanting to know what these blades would be comparable to in my arsenal of blades. When I try out blades, I am looking for something that shares the characteristics of what I already use plus am looking for the sharpness as well as smoothness. Where does Voskhod stand in comparison with the blades I've mentioned?

On the very, very end. I would suggest you to try Polsilver SI, Sputnik, Nacet, GSB, Rapiras.

Honestly, my experience was underwhelming, consistent with the posts on the resurrection of this thread. They were just OK and did not last but 3 shaves when I usually get 5-6 on most blades. Will not be sought out in future purchases. Serviceable but so many more better blades.

I suggest that these should be compared to other Russian blades. To me these come in a bit below the Astras or GSB. Obviously, YMMV!

I found that Voskhod takes about two or three shaves in order for them to come to their ultimate capability. I feel like you have to remove some of the coating through shaving. That is just my personal opinion, or could be a bad batch.

Top Bottom