What's new

Voskhod blades

Ended up with 300 voskhod blades on accident (shipping mishap). Never used them before but thought I’d give them a shot since they were in hand. Turns out that they are very smooth. Curious as to why they aren’t talked about much here?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ended up with 300 voskhod blades on accident (shipping mishap). Never used them before but thought I’d give them a shot since they were in hand. Turns out that they are very smooth. Curious as to why they aren’t talked about much here?
I think I have some that were piffed to me I'll have to try....

Voskhod are known to be mild, Teflon coated blades. I use them for the first use of a razor because they will do the job and not cause any irritation, nicks or weepers. They will get sharper with each use as the Teflon coating wears off. The trend I see on the board is about sharper, aggressive blades, which is why the Voskhod does not get much love or attention.

I’ve had good results with these blades. They just don’t last for as many good shaves as some of my favorite brands.

For me, these are forgiving, smooth shaving blades. You can get 3-4 shaves from a Voskhod easily. If you want to push the boundaries, I have managed 7 shaves from a Voskhod.

If you have problems with other blades, or have had some rough shaves, these blades are great to use while you are recovering.

Voskhods are my daily driver.

I received a couple of tucks in a PIF and they worked great for me. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy 100 when my Astras run out. I say that because I don’t keep a handful of brands on hand. I used one for 8 shaves and could have gone longer, but I changed razors and blades.

I really like voskhods! I have close to 1000 of them on hand out of fear of a Russian boycott in the future. They're really cheap and are excellent blades.

I love voskhods in certain razors and despise them in others. I found them very smooth, but not as efficient as I prefer in most of my razors. For me, the Rapira Platinum Lux is equally as smooth, but much sharper and less picky about which razor it was put in. YMMV and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last pack I used, the Voskhods seemed to give only 1 good shave before going dull and tugging at my bristles. I ordered one more pack, and the first one out of it has gone so far 4 shaves without incident. Possibly the previous blades were missed by QC.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Slipknot:
Hmmm...I don't know why that is...they get a lot of 'love' here.
proxy.php

proxy.php
BTW, I've found Voskhod (which is Russian for 'sunrise' and my 'go-to'), blades to be moderately sharp (almost as sharp as a KAI, but cheaper), forgiving with no pulling or tugging, very smooth, (albeit a 'weeper' now & then..but zero 'nicks'), usually no irritation and/or razor burn that results in CCS's in 2 passes (WTG [downward], CTG [across]), & 'touch-ups'), with 2 great shaves per blade (I shave every-other day [being retired], with Saturdays as my shaving 'day off').

They are also very compatible with both of my Merkur 38C (home), and vintage (W-2 Date Code: 1951), Gillette Tech (travel), cutting head paired with a vintage Durham Duplex 3in Handle.

rusian-bear-png.825310
To sum up, for me (and in my opinion), Voskhod blades are a perfect balance of sharpness (moderate), smoothness (awesome) and price (sweeeeet)! :thumbsup:

Read More: a) Voskhod Comrades Club b) Voskhod Blade Review

russia-playtoys-png.832610
"Dа...Время от времени, лезвие может быть между фокусами и изумление". Aнонимный (Translation...“Yes...at times, a razor blade can be between gimmickry and amazement". Anonymous

Last edited:
Totally mediocre for me, and just finished running though a good portion of the 100 i'd bought just to get rid of them. Took from some time in October until a week and a half ago.
dave

Not a top blade for me but have just south of 100 on hand and enjoy them for a diversion from others when I get curious for a change. Just not a top daily driver for me.

I had my first shave with a Voskhod today. It's a strange blade in that it feels so smooth that I thought it wasn't sharp. But despite the smoothness it was sharp and delivered a BBS.
Now this is the first Voskhod blade that I have used and shave one on a blade is often atypical when compared to subsequent shaves. Even so I am very impressed thus far!

Top Bottom