What's new

Voskhod blade, what razor

Those of you who get smooth and good shave with Voskhod blade, what razor are you using?
Just a thought that I have had unbelievable rough and uncomfortable shave with these in my Rockwell 6S plate 6.
I just can not finish a shave with these. Other Rapiras (Ladas, Swedish Supersteel and Platinum Lux) are smoothest blades I have used in this razor and plate but Voskhod is just plain awful.

Or am I just doomed and have to bin my 95 Voskhods I have left?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Strange, but I have heard folks have some issues with Voskhods....I have to say that they've worked fine for me in pretty much every razor I've tried them in: vintage Gillettes (Double Ring, Single Ring, New SC, New LC, New RFB,Techs, Sheraton, Popular, Super Speeds) and slants (Fasan, RazoRock German 37, PAA BOCS, Ziglar) -- you get the picture.

So far, it is the only blade that was worked ok in my Rex Ambassador. Every other blade just... kinda hurt when using.

I've had good experience with Voskhod blades in pretty much every razor I have. I used to use them exclusively until I found Gillette Silver Blues and Polsilver SIs. I haven't used a Voskhod much lately merely because my son prefers them so I leave them for him (He's 17). But I would probably rotate the Voskhods with the other two on a regular basis. They are good blade, reasonably sharp and reasonably smooth.

Strange, but I have heard folks have some issues with Voskhods....I have to say that they've worked fine for me in pretty much every razor I've tried them in: vintage Gillettes (Double Ring, Single Ring, New SC, New LC, New RFB,Techs, Sheraton, Popular, Super Speeds) and slants (Fasan, RazoRock German 37, PAA BOCS, Ziglar) -- you get the picture.
Yup, me too.
Thankfully Voskhod blades work well in all my razors, some a little better than others.
I find the first couple of shaves can be a little rocky until the coating wears a bit but they have always smoothed out for fine shaves. Not the sharpest blade but they are for me very smooth.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

By looking at the blades, that sharpening seems non symmetrical on sides and not very visible when attached to razor.

IMG_20200605_072633.jpg
IMG_20200605_072558.jpg

Actually now when I zoom into sharpening of the blade it looks quite rough. That blade in the pictures is fresh unused blade. Maybe I'll just bin them.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just had the strangest shave!

I had a few Voskhod blades kicking around and decided to throw one in my Karve CB with my usual B plate (my go-to in this razor is Astra SP). Started my WTG pass and could not feel the blade at all. Wondered if they were just THAT smooth, so I checked and found that my whiskers weren’t being cut at all. I switched to the C plate and still could not get it to cut hair. I gently rubbed my thumb against the blade and noticed that it felt like it had noticeably less exposure than my normal blades in tha

Quote from another thread. Perhaps Voskhod has had some recent QC issues?

I am using a Voskhod in a Merkur HD currently and it seems to be cutting as normal. It is not as good as an Astra SP though but acceptable in performance.
You can get variances in blades and there does seem to be differences in batches.

Those imperfections might be the coating. Checked the blade with microscope and did not notice anything special. Sharpening seemed ok.

So.. again another try to shave with this. 3rd blade. Had an idea of washing the blade under hottest water I get from my tap (and that really is HOT here where I live). Kept blade under running hot water for a minute or two. Left it to cool down. Prepped extreme santa claus lather from Cella and warmed blade with hot water again slightly before shave.

Surprisingly shave was now pretty ok. Roughness was not present and I got ok shave despite that I was extra cautious due to roughness I got earlier.

Go figure. Maybe that washing under hot water did some magic to the coating and smoothed it out or something. Will try tomorrow 2nd shave with the same blade.

Interesting - I just had a second shave with a Voskhod in a '40s Milord and had a great shave.
Smooth and comfortable.
Now I have about 200 of these blades for a while now and they are very good blades for me, not the sharpest around though - maybe the quality has gone south?
Sad if this is the case with their factory quality control.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Recently I used Voskhod with my Fatip Piccolo,that was extremely smooth and comfortable,not too sharp but enough to cut my beard.
Probably this is the best blade for me at least so far.The second is Astra SP.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Voskhod blades work well for me in pretty much any of my razors. They agree with some of us and not with others. That is fine by me.

Those of you who get smooth and good shave with Voskhod blade, what razor are you using?
Just a thought that I have had unbelievable rough and uncomfortable shave with these in my Rockwell 6S plate 6.
I just can not finish a shave with these. Other Rapiras (Ladas, Swedish Supersteel and Platinum Lux) are smoothest blades I have used in this razor and plate but Voskhod is just plain awful.

Or am I just doomed and have to bin my 95 Voskhods I have left?
Try plate 4

I like them in my adjustable razors (Fat Boy, Super Adjustable, Variant) as well as Fendrihan SS MK II where they absolutely shine.

Top Bottom