What's new

Voodoo Donuts?

Someone from the Portland, Oregon area please tell me more. I just got a picture text from a friend and there was a maple frosted donut with a strip of bacon on top...I must know more...

I've been there.
Almost any durable breakfast food or dessert topping you can think of can be put onto a donut. Froot loops, bacon, sure. I imagine you could get jelly bellies or gummy bears but I don't remember for sure.

It's fun. Not great food, but a lot of fun.

Roger

There's a whole experience and atmosphere that wouldn't ship well - the dark, dank "hole-in-the-wall" look, refrigerated freak-show pastires on the walls and the hippies and vegans on the inside speaking their language. The shop has always been full when I have gone. As you leave the shop there are always a couple bums wanting "spare change" - never asking for food - lol.

It's so popular in Portland the shop bribed the City Council to close down an adjoining road to set up picnic tables. It's a Pastry-Palooza! There are lots of folks flashing MedMar cards so you could probably get hooked up that way too. Of course, then you'd have to get another doughnut or 3...

Might go get one for break today now! They just broke the guiness(sp) world record @ 666 pounds for the largest box of doughnuts!!!

Stopped by when I was in Portland a few years back, based on a tip from a friend. The maple with bacon was awesome. Fun setting.

They just recently renovated, they're little dank corner just quadrupled in size.

It's a fun staple in a town that is full of killer food and fun staples :biggrin:

Other than the maple/bacon donut, the rest get high marks for innovation/artistry but don't taste all that unusual.

But the maple/bacon is really great (as you might imagine). BTW their donut box is great (it looks like characters from a bad tattoo.)

Nord's Bakery in Louisville, KY has a maple long john with bacon as well. Everything is better with bacon on it.

Ever since I once saw it, I've been tempted to try this delight from Paula Deen:

proxy.php

The Memphis Mafia doughnut is the real thing: "Fried dough with banana chunks and cinnamon sugar covered in a glaze with chocolate frosting, peanut butter, peanuts and chocolate chips on top!"

proxy.php

Top Bottom