What's new

Vocabulary rant

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Questions? Just ask Joe or myself.
The whole me/I/myself with another person in the mix conundrum. It is so easy. Take the other person out of the sentence. The one you would choose in that case is the same one you would you when discussing the actions of you and another person.

Indeed.
One of my favourite examples of "doublespeak" was a highway billboard a few miles from me that said "Irving - A tree-growing company" and showed a picture of college-age kids planting Black Spruce tree saplings.
One of J. D. Irving's biggest activities is clear-cutting forests for pulp.
Of course the planted trees are not actually a forest, but a monoculture tree farm, and not friendly to wildlife.

Surprisingly, any dense forest isn't friendly to wildlife. Most wildlife is concentrated on the edge areas. That's why wildlife management areas usually have swaths of clear areas adjacent to forest. Even where you have non-farmed timber, the trees tend to naturally group monoculture fashion depending on soil type and moisture. On the non-cultivated areas of our farm, we had pines and oaks and other trees, but they weren't interspersed, and this was natural distribution.

Most farmed timber is periodically clear-cut and set out again. After all, it's a farm. The typical urban image of clear-cutting is that the land is left barren, and that's not a true picture of what's going on.

Growing up, I used to argue against monoculture tree farms not for environmental concerns, but from a standpoint of making the best use of soil types. I really wish I could have set out a stand of black walnut several decades ago.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The whole me/I/myself with another person in the mix conundrum. It is so easy. Take the other person out of the sentence. The one you would choose in that case is the same one you would you when discussing the actions of you and another person.

You would think it was that simple, but I have heard a number of persons use "myself" as a sole subject.

"Myself wants to thank you all for coming."

Whenever I hear that, all I can think of is "George likes his chicken spicy."

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You would think it was that simple, but I have heard a number of persons use "myself" as a sole subject.

"Myself wants to thank you all for coming."

Whenever I hear that, all I can think of is "George likes his chicken spicy."
I always go here:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Even better.

Either way, I'm probably not listening to what the speaker is saying for the next several seconds.
I assume your was from Seinfeld. It have tried to watch that show, and love Larry David as a writer, I just can only stomach so much Jerry Seinfeld.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I always go here:

Is that meant to mole-ify your critics?

proxy.php

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't know why I find this objectionable, but I'm very tired of the over-use of the word "transparent". Also, "transparency". There's always talk of politicians, CEO's and others accountable to various others as needing to be more open and transparent in their dealings and statements. That accountability would be more effective if we used the actual word they are alluding to which is honesty. I don't need or want people to be more "transparent" whatever the h*** that's supposed to mean. We need them to be honest. You're either being honest, or dis-honest......not transparent. Rant over.

I like the words transparent and transparency, but as used by many they mean something quite different. Remember the Big Lie and such from 1984?

The Affordable Transportation Project means the cost of transportation will dramatically increase. The Honesty in Legislation Proposal means the legislature has figured out how to increase and more successfully hide their corruption. The Transparent Sunshine Law means more and worse decisions will be made behind closed doors.

I will have the most honest and transparent administration in history means I will be the most crooked and disingenuous elected official in memory.

I'm not entirely sure anything has changed, but it oftentimes looks as if it has.

What's the younger generation coming to?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Not at all, actually. It has (or, at least, had) a very specific meaning: to reduce by 10 percent--more specifically, to kill one of every ten of a certain group or population, typically as punishment or coercion (just ask the Egyptians in Exodus). However, through popular usage, it's essentially become a synonym for "devastate."

Really, it's all but displaced "devastate" in nearly every context but describing an emotional effect. These days, a forest or coastal town or population is "decimated" by a disaster or catastrophe, while a guest on Dr. Phil was "devastated" by a breakup.

That drift in usage used to bother me more until someone pointed out that the word has always had multiple meanings in English (not sure about Latin) and that its oldest meaning may have been as a synonym for "tithe." (Now that I think about it, maybe the drift in usage began when some poor parishioner complained: "Decimating my income is decimating my income!")

That said, if "defenestrate" is ever similarly watered down to mean "throw," I shall be sorely tempted to defenestrate the perpetrators.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That said, if "defenestrate" is ever similarly watered down to mean "throw," I shall be sorely tempted to defenestrate the perpetrators.

Well, if it just means “throw” they probably won’t be too bothered by the prospect.

Anyone mentioned the Star trek word "meld" yet. It seems to be an everyday word here in the UK now and has replaced the word "joined".

That drift in usage used to bother me more until someone pointed out that the word has always had multiple meanings in English (not sure about Latin) and that its oldest meaning may have been as a synonym for "tithe." (Now that I think about it, maybe the drift in usage began when some poor parishioner complained: "Decimating my income is decimating my income!")

Since decimate comes from the Latin decimatio, and decim is Latin for ten, the Romans likely understood it in the sense of military unit forced to kill one in ten of their own.

Top Bottom