What's new

Vocabulary rant

Don't forget "dais" and "pulpit".

I am lost. A "dais" is a raised platform for VIP guests at a dinner in front of a hall. It usually means the raised place from which speakers address such a or a similar gathering, but as I understand it, historically, it was where the king and others sat, whether they were to speak or not.

I suppose a "pulpit" is sort of a combination lectern (stand) and podium (that is, a combo raised spot with a stand from which clergy address the congregants). Funny how "bully" has come to be used almost exclusively with "pulpit."

I do not hear these words used interchangeably, or to my ear improperly. I suppose "pulpit" is most often used metaphorically.

A phrase I have found annoying is "it's been a minute," meaning it has been a long time. But I think that usage came and went in about six months. I cannot be too annoyed. I understand that minute was being used "ironically," and I understand that is not really proper use of "ironically." "Don't you think?"

I personally think "transparent" is an excellent word that has no substitute and is loaded with meaning. "Accountable" does not mean the same thing. This does not mean that some will rob you with a gun and some with a fountain pen, or that one should not put their hand on their wallet when they hear it.

Reduced vocabulary is doubleplusgood. It makes everything easier by allowing people to express themselves without nuance or confusing others with shades of grey.

Life is all about shades of grey, vocabulary brings clarity.
dave

One could say I have 1,984 reasons why there shouldn't be shades of grey and that there should be limits on the number of words we use to express ourselves.

Aside from that I hate when people use tax return and tax refund interchangeably.

And that limits thought. The world is not black and white

I've been too subtle.

In Orwell's novel 1984, language itself becomes abused and basically weaponized by the powers that be in order to manipulate and deceive the populace. The approved number of words is greatly reduced and even "gets smaller every year".

The book was a work of fiction but I feel some parts are indeed transpiring today.

Buzzwords are what bother me, and warped meanings.

"Going forward" is the most useless filler phrase in existence.
Drop it from your sentence and marvel at how the meaning remains the same.

"Revert" is increasingly being used in the sense of "get back to" or "reply."
Sorry...no.

<In Orwell's novel 1984, language itself becomes abused and basically weaponized by the powers that be in order to manipulate and deceive the populace. The approved number of words is greatly reduced and even "gets smaller every year".>

I had forgotten that about 1984, Very cool. Perhaps prescient.

On the other hand, I think there is a fair amount of coaching of folks who speak in public or communicate with the public to do so using plain words/an easily understood vocabulary. Seems to me that can rob communication of nuance, and nuance can be important. I note that one of Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules for Life is "Be precise in your speech?" I forgot what he says about that particular rule, but I suspect that he talks about some of the same things we are talking about here, and I suspect many of us would agree with him.

I've been too subtle.

In Orwell's novel 1984, language itself becomes abused and basically weaponized by the powers that be in order to manipulate and deceive the populace. The approved number of words is greatly reduced and even "gets smaller every year".

The book was a work of fiction but I feel some parts are indeed transpiring today.
Indeed.
One of my favourite examples of "doublespeak" was a highway billboard a few miles from me that said "Irving - A tree-growing company" and showed a picture of college-age kids planting Black Spruce tree saplings.
One of J. D. Irving's biggest activities is clear-cutting forests for pulp.
Of course the planted trees are not actually a forest, but a monoculture tree farm, and not friendly to wildlife.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't get too wound up about misspellings or writing the wrong homonym. It's sloppy, and it's something I endeavor to avoid, but it only rarely muddies up the intended meaning.

What gets my goat is when someone uses the wrong word or (more to OP's original point) an overly broad word and then expects everyone to be mindreaders.

And, once I'm King, I will bring down great fury upon those that say "decimate" in place of "devastate."

Indeed.
One of my favourite examples of "doublespeak" was a highway billboard a few miles from me that said "Irving - A tree-growing company" and showed a picture of college-age kids planting Black Spruce tree saplings.
One of J. D. Irving's biggest activities is clear-cutting forests for pulp.
Of course the planted trees are not actually a forest, but a monoculture tree farm, and not friendly to wildlife.
That said, they only claim to be a "tree-growing" company, and not a "forest replacement" company.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
"Decimate" is a perfectly cromulent word.

Not at all, actually. It has (or, at least, had) a very specific meaning: to reduce by 10 percent--more specifically, to kill one of every ten of a certain group or population, typically as punishment or coercion (just ask the Egyptians in Exodus). However, through popular usage, it's essentially become a synonym for "devastate."

Really, it's all but displaced "devastate" in nearly every context but describing an emotional effect. These days, a forest or coastal town or population is "decimated" by a disaster or catastrophe, while a guest on Dr. Phil was "devastated" by a breakup.

Not at all, actually. It has (or, at least, had) a very specific meaning: to reduce by 10 percent--more specifically, to kill one of every ten of a certain group or population, typically as punishment or coercion (just ask the Egyptians in Exodus). However, through popular usage, it's essentially become a synonym for "devastate."

Really, it's all but displaced "devastate" in nearly every context but describing an emotional effect. These days, a forest or coastal town or population is "decimated" by a disaster or catastrophe, while a guest on Dr. Phil was "devastated" by a breakup.

All that may be accurate, but it does nothing to reduce it's cromulescence.

Top Bottom