What's new

Vocabulary rant

Yes, if I called down to our US offices and was told the person I needed to speak with was "out of pocket", my next question would be "Excuse me?"

See, now you know. :) B&B fulfills an educational purpose! And based on TexLaw's comments and some things I saw on the web maybe it has some southwestern US connection. Based on mentor's use of the phrase, lo so many years ago, I would have thought of it as a 1950s NYC businessman thing, and it seemed funny to have it come back in 2019. (For that matter, why "lo so many years"? Is that even the proper way to spell "lo"?)

I do kind of like the idea of the status of working away, fully available to do whatever kind of business one does, as being in some kind of "pocket." I suppose like being in the "zone." And being out of that "pocket" being completely unavailable to do anything!

Looking over the web entries, "out of pocket" can mean all sorts of diverse things. Medical costs not covered by insurance, whether expected and quantifiable or not, are "out of pocket" to the insured, meaning unreimbursable. Apparently, it has an older meaning of being kind of crazy, irrational, unhinged, off the lease. Apparently to the Brits to be out of pocket is to be broke, to have no money. As to the money meanings, the "pocket" being referred to is obvious. Not so obvious re many of the other supposed meanings.

When a bass player is in the pocket, he/she is perfectly keeping the beat. Apparently George Harrison once opined that he liked a bass player who stayed in the pocket. Sounds apochryphal to me. Or at least said in jest. If the latter, that is hilarious.

Why not Incommunicado? Or unavailable? Its not like there are no words that mean what one is trying to convey.

Sure. Although to me 'incommunicado" has a flavor of someone's heading off on a spy mission where they need to maintain "radio silence." "Unavailable" probably works. Although to me "out of pocket" can be a stronger statement of unavailability. As in, I am unavailable for a 2:00 pm conference call. Versus "I am out of pocket all of that day." Personally, if I had a simple scheduling conflict as to some matter, I would not say I was out of pocket. But similar meanings and to similar effect.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
That's the case for any idiom. In fact, that's what makes an idiom an idiom.

I need to think on this...

Sure. Although to me 'incommunicado" has a flavor of someone's heading off on a spy mission where they need to maintain "radio silence." "Unavailable" probably works. Although to me "out of pocket" can be a stronger statement of unavailability. As in, I am unavailable for a 2:00 pm conference call. Versus "I am out of pocket all of that day." Personally, if I had a simple scheduling conflict as to some matter, I would not say I was out of pocket. But similar meanings and to similar effect.

But why not simply "I'll be unavailable all of that day". ?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The first time I heard the term "out of pocket" to mean "unavailable" was 8-10 years ago in a business environment. Indeed the meaning in that context was unavailable or unreachable (traveling, in a meeting, etc.). Before that for me it always meant paid for from personal funds.

In the business context, it literally makes no sense, which is why I struggle with the phrase.

I've always used it in the "I paid for this item with my own money and kind of want to be reimbursed for it" sort of way. If Americans want to use it in an odd and incomprehensible way, it doesn't make sense. But if I hear it used that way enough and someone explains it to me a few times, well, then Bob's my uncle.

That's the case for any idiom. In fact, that's what makes an idiom an idiom.

You can't spell "IDIOmaTIC" without it being crammed with "idiotic"
:001_rolle

Apparently to the Brits to be out of pocket is to be broke, to have no money.

Apparently George Harrison once opined that he liked a bass player who stayed in the pocket.

Well, the Beatles being British, perhaps he was worried about Paul going broke?

I never really thought about the story behind "out of pocket." I both hear it and use it quite often without even thinking twice about it or it's other, much older meaning. It's sort of funny, but I think the reason it doesn't bother me is simply because it makes no sense. I get my peeved when I hear someone use an idiom that is contrary to what they actually mean (e.g., "couldn't care less"). I guess I don't care when someone uses an idiom that has no real relation to the intended meaning. Someone may as well say "you can reach me up until 5 PM, but after that I'm a cardboard monkey."

I'm sitting here, chuckling at myself about that. I never saw that coming.

Cardboard monkey!! That's hilarious. Never heard that one before but it would be hard not to LOL if someone said that with a straight face... +REP, Tex.

The "internet" tells me "lo" is likely a shortened form of "look." That works for "lo and behold." I am not sure it does for "lo those many years ago."

I do not think George was worried about Paul running out of money. If anything, as an overall matter, I think that George was concerned about George's cut versus Paul's cut of Beatles finances. As to the particular quote, I think George was wondering how it was the bass got to be so prominent in "Something" on Abbey Road, a song George wrote.

<Bob's my uncle>

Yep, I would say Brits, and by extension Canadians, should not be throwing stones when it comes to idioms of undecipherable origin.

<cardboard monkey>

Really good one. And I do miss B&B "titles."

The "internet" tells me "lo" is likely a shortened form of "look." That works for "lo and behold." I am not sure it does for "lo those many years ago.

Same basic idea -- calling attention to the topic at hand. In fact, "lo and behold" is redundant because they mean the same thing.

You can see this from the way they're used in the same verses of different versions of the Bible, including ones with years as context.

When i get home tonight I may try as close as I can get to the original Don the Beachcomber Zombie, except I think I will cut back on the 4 ounces of rum, including 151 rum, in the original.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I need to think on this...

Do mull it over and knock it around if it so tickles your fancy. It beats me as to why certain little diddies might get sideways with anyone, but then again, I've been using so many for a coon's age.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Do mull it over and knock it around if it so tickles your fancy. It beats me as to why certain little diddies might get sideways with anyone, but then again, I've been using so many for a coon's age.

I think you hit the nail on the head but this is a thread about rants after all. I admit to being caught between two stools on matter such as these, but there is a method to my madness. One would be wise to take my posts with a grain of salt. Once in a blue moon we may not see eye to eye.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I think you hit the nail on the head but this is a thread about rants after all. I admit to being caught between two stools on matter such as these, but there is a method to my madness. One would be wise to take my posts with a grain of salt. Once in a blue moon we may not see eye to eye.

10-4! You can say that again! :thumbup1:

"Out of pocket" to mean that someone is not available. I hear this a lot. Makes no sense.

We used it a good bit to mean unable to contact someone. We also used "In the barrel" to mean on immediate call, which meant you had to stay in the immediate vicinity. Before cell phones, that mean by the phone in your house. OTOH, not many of us old timers left at work now, and "In the barrel" has fallen out of use.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Now he's calling me an idiom?!?!

Never!

Actually, it's weird. I was forming a response to ElSofa's last post then deleted it, and wrote my posted response. Apparently without deleting El Soafas quoted post.

Turns out you both were correct :07:

But thinking a bit about idioms. Can you really argue any of the thousands that are used? They are figurative, so as @TexLaw points out one could say I'm a cardboard monkey (lol) and as long as the meaning is explained, or in context the meaning is clear, it's valid. Or so I suppose.

Anyway, I've had a long day, think I'll hit the sack early tonight...

Last edited:
Top Bottom