What's new

Vocabulary rant

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Something finally has reached its limit with me: using "entitled" to mean "self-entitled." The two are virtual opposites (see also, "sanction"). Even worse, context rarely advises as to which meaning is intended, leading to tremendous confusion.

Something finally has reached its limit with me: using "entitled" to mean "self-entitled." The two are virtual opposites (see also, "sanction"). Even worse, context rarely advises as to which meaning is intended, leading to tremendous confusion.
That is a great observation. I think it explains confusion about government programs like Social Security (SS). Where many call SS an entitlement in a somewhat disparaging way as if it were a gift to a person feeling they have a special right to it. When it is actually the opposite, it is an entitlement simply because a person has paid into the program and thus entitled to receive its benefits.

"Out of pocket" to mean that someone is not available. I hear this a lot. Makes no sense.
Ha! Me too.. I've always thought about that phrase and even used it once just to see how people reacted (they didn't). I even used that concerned brow furl as I said it too..

How about this one: "If you need anything.... ANYTHING at All.....I am completely at your disposal"

"Out of pocket" to mean that someone is not available. I hear this a lot. Makes no sense.

Not a bit . . . "out of pocket" means you have paid for something you did not expect to. As in, "He invited me for dinner, but I had to pay. Now I'm out of pocket $50.00."

I rather like the term "out of pocket." Perhaps because one of my mentors, who grew up in Brooklyn, and who has long since passed on, used to use it a lot.

The internet is not all that helpful on the origin of the phrase. Apparently O Henry used it in some story in 1908 and its greatest "popularity" was in the 1920s, although I would say it has become a sort of trend business phrase recently. One source says it is a southwest US regionalism, although the folks I knew back in the day that used the phrase were not from there.

I think it is a useful phrase to tell people unambiguously you are unreachable without revealing why. For instance, if one tells someone they are out of town or on travel a particular day, given cell phones, texts, and email, it does not mean you are necessarily unreachable. Out of pocket, to me, means I won't be returning your texts or calls. Or, perhaps, don't bother me with your texts and calls.

I kind of like that the origins are unclear. It makes some sense as a reference to football, to pool, or, for that matter, to playing the bass.

Not a bit . . . "out of pocket" means you have paid for something you did not expect to. As in, "He invited me for dinner, but I had to pay. Now I'm out of pocket $50.00."
I'm just glad it doesn't refer to something lewd. That was my main concern. The American football analogy is something I hadn't thought of but makes sense. I always glance down at my own pockets when someone uses that phrase, just by habbit.

Not necessarily. If I put in for out of pocket expenses from my employer, I am seeking reimbursement for expenses I incurred that were not necessarily unexpected, but likely not of predictable amount. Something like that.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The first time I heard the term "out of pocket" to mean "unavailable" was 8-10 years ago in a business environment. Indeed the meaning in that context was unavailable or unreachable (traveling, in a meeting, etc.). Before that for me it always meant paid for from personal funds.

In the business context, it literally makes no sense, which is why I struggle with the phrase.

Not necessarily. If I put in for out of pocket expenses from my employer, I am seeking reimbursement for expenses I incurred that were not necessarily unexpected, but likely not of predictable amount. Something like that.

But what you just cited is basically what I was talking about. Usually, on business, you will have a means of paying on the "Company dime", yes? Like a company credit card? So, if you then have to pull out your own $$$ for something (lets say the restaurant does not take that C.C.), then you are "out of pocket" in the manner I suggested.

Perhaps I worded it poorly, but we both said pretty much the same thing, I think.

The first time I heard the term "out of pocket" to mean "unavailable" was 8-10 years ago in a business environment. Indeed the meaning in that context was unavailable or unreachable (traveling, in a meeting, etc.). Before that for me it always meant paid for from personal funds.

In the business context, it literally makes no sense, which is why I struggle with the phrase.

Yes, if I called down to our US offices and was told the person I needed to speak with was "out of pocket", my next question would be "Excuse me?"

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

I never really thought about the story behind "out of pocket." I both hear it and use it quite often without even thinking twice about it or it's other, much older meaning. It's sort of funny, but I think the reason it doesn't bother me is simply because it makes no sense. I get my peeved when I hear someone use an idiom that is contrary to what they actually mean (e.g., "couldn't care less"). I guess I don't care when someone uses an idiom that has no real relation to the intended meaning. Someone may as well say "you can reach me up until 5 PM, but after that I'm a cardboard monkey."

I'm sitting here, chuckling at myself about that. I never saw that coming.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Why not Incommunicado? Or unavailable? Its not like there are no words that mean what one is trying to convey.

Top Bottom