What's new

Visiting Japan - any suggestions

I'm going to be in the Osaka area for a little over a week at the end of this month of October. I've been before, but years ago. Any suggestions as to picking up hard &/or software -- or places to experience an ultimate shave from one of the Japanese pros? I'll be spending a little time on the Kiso Road -- out of Narai -- so if there's any place for traditional shaving aficionados that are worth seeing along it, I sure would appreciate your suggestions.

No idea on shaving in Osaka but get a train to Kyoto while you are there, and another to Kobe. In Osaka, Dotonburi has great Japanese BBQs.

I'm going to be in the Osaka area for a little over a week at the end of this month of October. I've been before, but years ago. Any suggestions as to picking up hard &/or software -- or places to experience an ultimate shave from one of the Japanese pros? I'll be spending a little time on the Kiso Road -- out of Narai -- so if there's any place for traditional shaving aficionados that are worth seeing along it, I sure would appreciate your suggestions.

Regarding razors, the only one I've seen in the stores (other than cartridge razors) is the Feather Popular. The only DE blades I've seen are Feathers, and in all honesty, i've seen lower prices on B&B than in Japan.
Aftershaves are a different matter though, there's a huge collection of aftershaves of high enough quality to be up there with the most popular on this forum. Take a look at one of the threads where people discuss their favourites here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/121870-In-Praise-of-Japanese-Aftershaves

Mandom, Auslese, Bravas, Valcan...aftershaves are all that being in Japan offers for DE shavers. Maybe grab a couple of Populars for pifs.

Oh, and not remotely shaving related, but you must eat okonomiyaki. Must.

Last edited:
If you find Feather AS-D1's for less than ¥14,000 (US$180, the current Amazon price), pick some up and put them up on BST...I'm sure you'll find quite a few takers.

Also, if you're walking by a 7Eleven and are feeling a bit snacky, stop in an grab an onigiri. I've heard the packaging is quite ingenious.

If you find Feather AS-D1's for less than ¥14,000 (US$180, the current Amazon price), pick some up and put them up on BST...I'm sure you'll find quite a few takers.

Also, if you're walking by a 7Eleven and are feeling a bit snacky, stop in an grab an onigiri. I've heard the packaging is quite ingenious.

Good call on this one

Definitely pick up Lucido aftershave, if you haven't already tried it. I've never made it to Osaka except as a stop on the train, so I can't recommend a good place for a shave. The only barber shave I had in Japan was in Kanagawa pref, and it was a great one - but that would be a bit of a heroic journey from Osaka. +1 on eating okonomiyaki too! I've never met anyone that didn't like it.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Get a sackful of the Kai Gold-S single edge metal disposables. They are the best disposable I have ever used, and they are pretty cheap, too. Don't get the cheaper Kais... get the Gold-S. Sometimes a good throwaway is a nice thing to have handy. A shave stick, tweezerman, and a Gold-S makes a pretty good emergency kit that tucks away in your briefcase or glove box nicely. I did a review of them a year or so ago, so search for the thread.

Top Bottom