What's new

Visited Three London Shave Shops...

Walked through the “man cave” areas of St James & Jermyn Streets of London recently and visited three very well known shave shops: Truefitt & Hill, Taylor of Old Bond St and DR Harris. If you are ever in London it is well worth the jaunt over to this area to peruse the plethora of men’s shops, everything from (obviously) shaving and grooming to custom made shirts, suits and shoes to luxury watches (huge selections of vintage Rolex models for some reason)... definitely for those with $$$. Nice to look at.

The three shave shops are full of their respective products but are very different in presentation.

T&H is almost claustrophobic in the product area with two counters across the small room, each staffed by a salesperson. Found it hard to look around with a few other customers in the way : ). Prices were not clearly visible to me. IMO T&H has the best shave creams but was not conducive to checking out the products. T&H clearly is prioritizing the salon area of the shop with an inner waiting room furnished with wingback chairs and a third (salon) room for hair cutting and wet shaving. A quick look in showed a full house of barbers (3 or 4) busy with customers. This is a professional operation. I had a wet shave there a few years ago and had a very relaxing pleasant experience. (Not so this year ...but not at T&H...read on).

DR Harris - has a couple of shops in the area and I must have been in one of the more recently renovated stores with plenty of real estate and nicely spaced and laid out products, clearly marked with easy to reach samples. Although I liked looking around it did not have an old-school charm that I had expected. I believe they have a salon on the second floor that I did not visit. One salesman in the shop who was eager to help.

TOBS- this was my favorite shop (for the products). Old school charm, very friendly, professionally dressed and helpful floor staff (four), plenty of well marked products and samples. Even a sale item or two. Although the store is “tight”, products were very available to be handled.

Behind the product sales room was a salon. I noticed it was not busy ( I soon learned why) and inquired about the price of a wetshave. The young lady behind the counter pointed to a price list on the wall. OK I thought, not the best response but with T&H all booked, what the heck. Well, I should have walked out. The shave was meh at best, the barber seemingly not into it, the atmosphere annoying with the other salon employees laughing over iphones.
Next time I’ll limit my TOBS visit to the showroom and schedule ahead for the shave at T&H.

That said, it is cool to walk through the area, see the sites and take in all of the history.

Every time I go to London I always visit the shops.
The tobs store I agreee is very tight, but it’s packed with goodies! I will admit going to dr Harris is my favourite. Soaps are my all time favourite and love the Simpsons brush I got from them years ago.

This is timely, thanks for the review. I'm headed to London on Sunday, and will have a few hours to visit the shave shops on Tuesday. Have you tried a shave at Trumpers? I was thinking about trying them while in London, but after your report on TOBS, I'm wondering if I would be better off shaving myself and just exploring some of their products.

Ive had a couple straight shaves and they are never as good as you can do yourself. That being said the experience is really cool and would do it, just don’t expect an amazing shave.

London shave shops are classic wet shaving mecca destinations!!
TOBS, Santa Maria Novella, Truefitt & Hill, D.R. Harris, Floris, Czech & Speake, Trumpers.
Not shown,Penhaligon's shops!

london shave shops.jpg

Very interesting. Can't help but wonder if one might be better served if dressed up a bit; we Yanks don't pay too much attention to such things, of course.

This is timely, thanks for the review. I'm headed to London on Sunday, and will have a few hours to visit the shave shops on Tuesday. Have you tried a shave at Trumpers? I was thinking about trying them while in London, but after your report on TOBS, I'm wondering if I would be better off shaving myself and just exploring some of their products.
Hi- only had shaves at T&H (recommended) and TOBS (not recommended).

As another poster said, we can give ourselves a better shave in terms of closeness. What I like in getting a wetshave from a professional is the process they mostly follow complete with pre shave oil, hot towels, shave cream brushed, cold towels, shave balm. Usually takes about 20 minutes, 1 pass.

Pretty close for 1 pass, but the prep is the key. The same process was followed at TOBS, there was just a weird vibe in the salon- not welcoming and certainly not a professional environment.

Very interesting. Can't help but wonder if one might be better served if dressed up a bit; we Yanks don't pay too much attention to such things, of course.

Good point, coming in with jeans and sandwiched by a camera and backpack may not be that appealing :)

Walked through the “man cave” areas of St James & Jermyn Streets of London recently and visited three very well known shave shops: Truefitt & Hill, Taylor of Old Bond St and DR Harris. If you are ever in London it is well worth the jaunt over to this area to peruse the plethora of men’s shops, everything from (obviously) shaving and grooming to custom made shirts, suits and shoes to luxury watches (huge selections of vintage Rolex models for some reason)... definitely for those with $$$. Nice to look at.

The three shave shops are full of their respective products but are very different in presentation.

T&H is almost claustrophobic in the product area with two counters across the small room, each staffed by a salesperson. Found it hard to look around with a few other customers in the way : ). Prices were not clearly visible to me. IMO T&H has the best shave creams but was not conducive to checking out the products. T&H clearly is prioritizing the salon area of the shop with an inner waiting room furnished with wingback chairs and a third (salon) room for hair cutting and wet shaving. A quick look in showed a full house of barbers (3 or 4) busy with customers. This is a professional operation. I had a wet shave there a few years ago and had a very relaxing pleasant experience. (Not so this year ...but not at T&H...read on).

DR Harris - has a couple of shops in the area and I must have been in one of the more recently renovated stores with plenty of real estate and nicely spaced and laid out products, clearly marked with easy to reach samples. Although I liked looking around it did not have an old-school charm that I had expected. I believe they have a salon on the second floor that I did not visit. One salesman in the shop who was eager to help.

TOBS- this was my favorite shop (for the products). Old school charm, very friendly, professionally dressed and helpful floor staff (four), plenty of well marked products and samples. Even a sale item or two. Although the store is “tight”, products were very available to be handled.

Behind the product sales room was a salon. I noticed it was not busy ( I soon learned why) and inquired about the price of a wetshave. The young lady behind the counter pointed to a price list on the wall. OK I thought, not the best response but with T&H all booked, what the heck. Well, I should have walked out. The shave was meh at best, the barber seemingly not into it, the atmosphere annoying with the other salon employees laughing over iphones.
Next time I’ll limit my TOBS visit to the showroom and schedule ahead for the shave at T&H.

That said, it is cool to walk through the area, see the sites and take in all of the history.

Great comparison!! Thanks (one day I ‘need’ to check out these shops.) :a14::a14::a14:

Sorry that you got a disappointing shave!

Top Bottom