What's new

VISION + Derby = BBS

Gentlemen,

I wanted to let everyone know about my experience with my blade sampler pack and what happens as I work my way through unknown blades. the first blade up was the derbys due to the overall positive responses. I used the same equipment for a week, while only changing creams, soaps.

First Shave:

Loaded the VISION with the Derby; lathered up with SCS Savory rose using my Savile Row. VISION was set on maximum (V).

Proceeded to complete first N-S pass on cheeks and S-N underneath chin.

VISION then set on (I).

2nd pass was from ear to mouth both sides, then N-S underneath chin.

VISION set on (S).

3rd pass N-S on cheeks, against grain between nose and lips; also goat area, and then N-S under chin.

Warm water splash, followed by cold water splash, and then alum block rubdown. after 10 minutes, nivea a/s applied.

Results:

I have never, ever had a shave like this in my life! My face was smooth for the next 16 hours-light bulb city! However, I did experience a slight burn sensation which is my own fault- I had never used the VISION wide open until this shave; definitely will make an adjustment on the next.

Second Shave:

Same equipment- Proraso green tube.

VISION set on (I) for 1st pass; (S) for 2nd pass; (I[2nd) for 3rd pass.

Results:

Yowsah! Still a slight burn- but a great shave nonetheless.

Shaves 3 -5( same blade!):

Looking for the sweet spot of great shave and no burn, I then made another adjustment to the VISION.

VISION set on (S) for 1st pass; (I) for 2nd; and (O) for 3rd.

Results:

NIRVANA! BRIGADOON; 7TH HEAVEN; insert adjective here

Now I have to eat my words- this is the best shave I have ever accomplished, bar none! The combination of the VISION razor and the Derby blade have produced a shave that makes my face feel like it did when I was 14 y.o.- smooth as silk, with nary an obstruction to be found. I am happy that by only changing the start point of the VISION, I was able to locate the sweet spot for this combination. I know I will be ordering the Derbys in sets of 100- however, I will wait as I have not completed the test as of yet ( still need to shave with the mighty Feather and the Swede.)

Since I have found that the wide open VISION takes off a little to much skin, I will be starting it at the sweet spot just established for the Derby. Will inform the group after I finish my next week of shaves. of course, after I get through the Swede, I will then start the process all over again with my gillette adjustable and then my merkur HD. :biggrin:

Marty

htownmmm said:
Yowsah! NIRVANA! BRIGADOON; 7TH HEAVEN; insert adjective here

I don't know why but I liked the way all that sounded... maybe b/c it kinda reminded me of those classic batman shows.

Tito

Good stuff Marty! You sound like a man who's getting his money's worth out of the adjustability on the VISION. Be cautious in generalizing your Derby experience. I have found that the first day Derby is a great deal different than the 2nd through 4th day Derby.

guenron said:
Good stuff Marty! You sound like a man who's getting his money's worth out of the adjustability on the VISION. Be cautious in generalizing your Derby experience. I have found that the first day Derby is a great deal different than the 2nd through 4th day Derby.

Ron,

I did notice that the 1st shave was much different than the others( I thought it was because I had the VISION wide open, so I must do a wide- open shave with the Feathers and the Swede also to b sure); BTW, just had my first shave with the VISION/FEATHER combo- sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Marty

htownmmm said:
Ron,

I did notice that the 1st shave was much different than the others( I thought it was because I had the VISION wide open, so I must do a wide- open shave with the Feathers and the Swede also to b sure); BTW, just had my first shave with the VISION/FEATHER combo- sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Marty
That is one of the, if not the, closest shaving combos I have ever tried. Not only is it close to the touch, but lasts for 12 to 14 hours even when working out of doors in the heat.

Marty:

It's great when you find THE combination that works for you! My best shaves come with the Vision/Feather combination. My rotation of razors have narrowed to around two or three now. I get good results with the Futur, and long-handled classic but not on par with the Vision. I'm almost to the point to where I use Feathers exclusively!

I found the Feather in the Vision works the best for me. The Swedish Gillette is a very close second. The other blades did not even come close to these in the Vision as far as I'm concerned.

Bud.

Marty, you're killing me! I had just stumbled on the Vision/Derby combo, had 2 really good shaves and was gearing up for a 3rd. . . . . .when my Vision broke!

Glad to hear you found this combo, too--and keep posting so I can shave vicariously through you!

My Vision just arrived today. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow with a Feather blade, probably doing first pass at S based on above. This is the thread that got me to spring for the Vision, BTW...

It just. . .broke. I had noticed the head assembly loosening recently, then one of the arms just popped off.

mrob said:
It just. . .broke. I had noticed the head assembly loosening recently, then one of the arms just popped off.
Likely story Mitch... Now tell me, is it really that good as a nut cracker?:lol:
I have the greatest confidence in Merkur and the staff at Dovo. They'll make it all better!:yesnod:

Yeah, and my nuts still hurt.:rolleyes:

But seriously folks. . .it pains me to admit the razor just broke, because the Vision is my go-to shaver. I'm hovering into a state of depression thinking about how long it'll be till I get it fixed or replaced--and I still have not heard back from Dovo.:frown:

mrob said:
Yeah, and my nuts still hurt.:rolleyes:

But seriously folks. . .it pains me to admit the razor just broke, because the Vision is my go-to shaver. I'm hovering into a state of depression thinking about how long it'll be till I get it fixed or replaced--and I still have not heard back from Dovo.:frown:
At the risk of sounding silly, you probably won't hear anything over the weekend.. It's a razor company, not an emergency room..:001_rolle

Top Bottom